devolution

Author Topic: General Discussion  (Read 3821194 times)

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
  • "It's like hunting cows"
Re: General Discussion
« Reply #4515 on: March 26, 2015, 11:01:15 AM »
Well, either we use rmg or stick to SE without EE of any kind. I don't believe that we can use other engines, they look even more complicated.

We'll stick to SE for now... We need to work on revamping brothels, making ST work, revamping Arena, Interactions and some sort of gameplay that sets goals. Maybe a Civilization like "Encyclopedia" explain ingame stuff. Not mentioning adding events, finishing up BE, splitting the city into quarters and localizing events, placing shops, brothels and buildings accordingly. Maybe adding crime. More importantly making the game run well and be maintainable with all of that. More stuff for SE as well...

Any sort of EE is a huge timesink that we will not be able to afford anytime soon.
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #4516 on: March 26, 2015, 11:21:03 AM »
What I don't like in our SE is that MC cannot explore it directly. EE solves it, but there are other options. Like introduce assistants that control stuff instead of him and allow players to send MC into SE.

I updated and uploaded Kushina pack, it's in my thread. And another items push with bugfixes.
I got rid of some considerably ugly icons as well thanks to Gismo's resources. I'm sure that I'll finish items during this week.

There is something in gui that bothers me. After you exit the girl screen, you appear on the first page of girls list every time. It's ok when you work with Hinata only, but when you want to give items to several girls, it could be irritating. Ideally, the game should remember the page.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 11:24:26 AM by DarkTl »

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4517 on: March 26, 2015, 12:47:07 PM »
What I don't like in our SE is that MC cannot explore it directly. EE solves it, but there are other options. Like introduce assistants that control stuff instead of him and allow players to send MC into SE.

Yeap, we need management classes... and better MC participation in auto parts of the game as well. Maybe adding traits and effects to MC would not hurt either... we could always add sex property to traits, effects and any other stuff like we have for items.

I updated and uploaded Kushina pack, it's in my thread. And another items push with bugfixes.
I got rid of some considerably ugly icons as well thanks to Gismo's resources. I'm sure that I'll finish items during this week.

Oki, I'll take a look later. Didn't get much chance to code today so I'll try to do the tracking class I got in my head tonight.

There is something in gui that bothers me. After you exit the girl screen, you appear on the first page of girls list every time. It's ok when you work with Hinata only, but when you want to give items to several girls, it could be irritating. Ideally, the game should remember the page.

I'll take a look later. It's a fairly complex screen setup but it should be possible.
Like what we're doing?

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4518 on: March 26, 2015, 06:25:02 PM »
I've just pushed the update I wanted to code in.

Now be-skills can be added with items like traits and will not be removed if item is unequipped or when some event removed it but there is still item equipped and so on (smart tracking basically, same as for traits). There is a new tracking class that does that we might use for other stuff in the future :)

*testing required obviously but it seems to be working...
Like what we're doing?

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4519 on: March 27, 2015, 04:27:26 AM »
@Dark,

When you're fixing characters jsons, please change:

Code: [Select]
battle_skills = {"Skill": 1}
magic_skills = {"Skill": 1}

to:

Code: [Select]
attack_skills = ["Skill", "Skill2", ...]
magic_skills = ["Skill", "Skill2", ...]
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #4520 on: March 27, 2015, 06:33:56 AM »
like traits and will not be removed if item is unequipped
Um, what? If you equip a sword that gives a skill and then unequip it, the skill will remain? If so, then wtf?  :D

When you're fixing characters jsons, please change:
But those numbers after skills are supposed to set up battle AI, aren't they?

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4521 on: March 27, 2015, 07:32:28 AM »
Um, what? If you equip a sword that gives a skill and then unequip it, the skill will remain? If so, then wtf?  :D

Yeah... that's what I spend 4 hours thinking about + coding in, the simplest way to apply stuff imaginable  ::)

Lets say a character starts the game with Fire and Fira skills. Later a ring is equipped that adds Fire, Fira and Firaga. Previously when the ring is unequipped, character would loose the original Fire and Fira spells. Now spells will remain until a real game event, permanent consumable or misc item removes it.

Similarly, previously if you had such a ring equipped and some event thought you Fire spell, it would have been useless.

Traits are tracked in the same way by the game. Even if you have two different items applying the same trait, you can still learn it through an event and keep it even when all items are unequipped.

Basically it's a counter for items, a set for stuff's that's been applied through game/events and a list with the stuff that's currently enabled. All beautifully coded and reusable.

But those numbers after skills are supposed to set up battle AI, aren't they?

For Jake's BE. Ours will work differently.

===
I am fixing some stuff, there are some errors here and there because we're now tracking references to objects instead of strings.
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #4522 on: March 27, 2015, 07:57:48 AM »
Ah, I thought you simplified the system by making skills permanent only.

Any thoughts about battle AI btw? Looks like Jake's BE is heavily based on rng without aggro system of any kind.

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #4523 on: March 27, 2015, 12:05:06 PM »
Pushed items, we're done there. Also merged Gismo's item json with ours.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4524 on: March 28, 2015, 02:39:40 AM »
Ah, I thought you simplified the system by making skills permanent only.

More or less, items/events still could remove skills under the old system. But new system is really good and makes items/traits code better manageable as well.

Any thoughts about battle AI btw? Looks like Jake's BE is heavily based on rng without aggro system of any kind.

Loads... grunt ai, smart ai, special ai. I have thought about it quite a bit. Coding it in is not a priority atm.

I'll be busy this weekend but will try to sneak in at least basic damage (shaking) effect to the BE and wrap up converting traits code to work with objects instead of strings.
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #4525 on: March 28, 2015, 10:58:53 AM »
Will we have any more battle skills before the next release? I wonder if it's time to add skills teaching items.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4526 on: March 28, 2015, 11:28:22 AM »
Will we have any more battle skills before the next release? I wonder if it's time to add skills teaching items.

Yeah... at least regen, disspel and revive. Maybe more, I am not sure yet.

You can always add some now and rest later. I also have some ideas for auto-creating basic attack skills. I am toying with creating shaking effect now, Ren'Py seems to have a dozen of ways of doing that and I don't know which is best. Going with a simple transform for now.

===
Just pushed... it seems to be working more or less ok. We'll have more than just the shaking effect. Works just for regular magic atm.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2015, 05:08:28 PM by Xela »
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #4527 on: March 28, 2015, 05:12:41 PM »
Before doing something there, we need a gui for skills. At least description and small element icon. Right now people have to guess what skills do.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4528 on: March 29, 2015, 03:10:03 AM »
Before doing something there, we need a gui for skills. At least description and small element icon. Right now people have to guess what skills do.

I'll be traveling today but I'll try to take a glance at that tonight. We'll prolly just need a desc field and we can put name of the element in there.
Like what we're doing?

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4529 on: March 29, 2015, 05:09:25 PM »
I've added desc to attacks and spells as you've asked and ways to display them. Will need a bit of work but it functions as it should. There is only basic desc for fire spell for testing at the moment.
Like what we're doing?