devolution

Author Topic: General Discussion  (Read 3821790 times)

Offline DarkTl

Re: General Discussion
« Reply #4530 on: March 30, 2015, 03:45:57 AM »
I've noticed recently that the engine does not throw an error anymore if you use Tab symbol in jsons. I really hope they finally made it usable, and it's not just some tricky bug  :)

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
  • "It's like hunting cows"
« Reply #4531 on: March 30, 2015, 06:14:06 AM »
I've noticed recently that the engine does not throw an error anymore if you use Tab symbol in jsons. I really hope they finally made it usable, and it's not just some tricky bug  :)

To the best of my knowledge, python and json modules haven't been updated for a while now. I've been making noice on forums but they thought current setup is suficcient.
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #4532 on: March 30, 2015, 10:08:38 AM »
I fixed traits json a bit and began to rewrite interactions. After that I'll write descriptions for skills.

Btw do you want to keep FF names (~ga, ~ya, ~ra) or it's ok to change them?

Also, in my db\Images\Icons\Elements there are more icons that could be used for non elemental skills, like poison or bleeding.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2015, 10:14:55 AM by DarkTl »

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4533 on: March 30, 2015, 12:09:56 PM »
I fixed traits json a bit and began to rewrite interactions. After that I'll write descriptions for skills.

Oki, just do what you can, I hope that it'll be enough for a release. Afterwards we'll talk about some form of intelligent tracking and flags system.

Btw do you want to keep FF names (~ga, ~ya, ~ra) or it's ok to change them?

I've always hated those names but for some reason got used to them while playing SimBro2. They also have descriptions there. You can rename them as you see fit.

Also, in my db\Images\Icons\Elements there are more icons that could be used for non elemental skills, like poison or bleeding.

Oki, system goes through a method so it's really, really easy to add new stuff.

===
I am not satisefied with current elements system anyway. I want classes like Warriors, Dark/Light/Water/... mages, Shinigami, Shinobi and etc. Also elemental alignments that are not strings (proper classes with attributes will allow for a really great system with loads of options and possibilities and maintainable code).

The system has been forming in my head for a while now, but I am not sure if we'll implement it now or after next release.

I am traveling atm so there might not be time/strength tonight/tomorrow for any updates :(

**I still have over a gigabyte of animations for spells/skills. I really want to add some simple effects for all melee/ranged attacks, skills I named in one of previous posts, poison dagger and for the Fire/Ice swords that Lap drew, I found really kickass animations as well.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2015, 12:14:18 PM by Xela »
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #4534 on: March 30, 2015, 02:02:42 PM »
The main purpose of elements system is to set elemental weaknesses without too much trouble. The only thing that the current system cannot do is to handle multielemental cases.

I don't really think that we need a separate mage class for every element considering how small our parties are. If we'd had like 5 people on the battlefield, or it would be possible to change characters during battle (FF10, Golden Sun, Neptunia Rebirth...), then it might be justified.

Elemental alignments that are not strings = number for every single element = huge items rebalance and the need for many dozens new items to cover alignments properly.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4535 on: March 30, 2015, 04:38:21 PM »
The main purpose of elements system is to set elemental weaknesses without too much trouble. The only thing that the current system cannot do is to handle multielemental cases.

And unique cases... Basically it's too limited without a good reason.

If we'd had like 5 people on the battlefield, or it would be possible to change characters during battle (FF10, Golden Sun, Neptunia Rebirth...), then it might be justified.

We can do 6 people on battle field now that we have rows. We can even add one more, position, there is space for that on all BE background that we use. Changing characters we can add but not before the next release.

Elemental alignments that are not strings = number for every single element = huge items rebalance and the need for many dozens new items to cover alignments properly.

No and no.

We have many traits and items and characters and non of them have numbers. It will work the same as it does now only any element can be created and weaknesses and strengths set up. We do not need to cover all elements with items either.

I don't really think that we need a separate mage class for every element considering how small our parties are.

Limiting weapons that charterers can effectively use as well as spells they can learn adds a rather unique feeling of uniqueness to them. I really liked that in SimBro2 and would like to have something along the same lines in PyTFall.

===
I didn't get a chance to do anything today, tomorrow will prolly be the same. Hopefully I can add a number of new attacks the say after.
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #4536 on: March 31, 2015, 02:55:47 AM »
I tested tab a bit. There are tab symbols in our traits json, and the engine doesn't mind it. But inside interactions jsons they are not tolerated. How weird.

We also have a small problem. I don't remember who separated our interaction file into small ones (not me for sure), but it wasn't done correctly for unknown reason. We lost all lines that were reactions to insults.
I'll try to restore them via our repository tonight.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4537 on: March 31, 2015, 04:11:34 AM »
I tested tab a bit. There are tab symbols in our traits json, and the engine doesn't mind it. But inside interactions jsons they are not tolerated. How weird.

It's a python thing... only Python 3+ allows mixing tabs and spaces, Ren'Py is using 2.79. PEP-8 (Python's coding guide) tells us to use spaces. JSON parser (I assume) accepts tabs as per JSON guidelines.

We also have a small problem. I don't remember who separated our interaction file into small ones (not me for sure), but it wasn't done correctly for unknown reason. We lost all lines that were reactions to insults.

Thewlis had to when he merged interactions. He prolly missed it :(
Like what we're doing?

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4538 on: March 31, 2015, 04:22:49 AM »

Are you sure? Girls are responding to insults really well in my version? Was there something else there, I haven't looked at interaction in depth for a long while...
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #4539 on: March 31, 2015, 06:24:20 AM »
They do it wrong. They use lines that are not supposed to be there.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4540 on: March 31, 2015, 10:35:34 AM »
Odd, maybe he missed something in old or new code. I am not sure and do not have access to the code atm. I am not even 100 percent certain that new setup is working but it should...
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #4541 on: March 31, 2015, 01:10:51 PM »
He copied wrong lines. I was able to find correct ones in the repository, even though the file no longer exists.

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #4542 on: March 31, 2015, 01:29:23 PM »
Alright, girlmeets lines are pushed. Even if we'll need to rework GM somehow, at least all lines and traits there are good.
Now I'll see what I can do with battleskills named and descriptions. I'll probably add items for learning spells right before the next release, since skills names might be changed.

After descriptions there are two systems that require attention in terms of content, SE and ST.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4543 on: March 31, 2015, 03:49:50 PM »
Alright, girlmeets lines are pushed. Even if we'll need to rework GM somehow, at least all lines and traits there are good.
Now I'll see what I can do with battleskills named and descriptions. I'll probably add items for learning spells right before the next release, since skills names might be changed.

After descriptions there are two systems that require attention in terms of content, SE and ST.

Yeah, I'll pull tomorrow, too tired tonight but at least I got back home.

Thewlis said he'll checked in when he can, I'd prefer him finishing up any ST related code (not sure who'll work the content, I always assumed it'll be lamoli but he disappeared), I am planning updating Arena myself and there is still work that needs to be done in BE. If code needs to be added to SE, I'll do that as well.
Like what we're doing?

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4544 on: April 01, 2015, 04:55:57 AM »
Oki, I'll have one or two hours today so I'll improve SimpleAttack class a bit and rewrite our battle setup func (it still uses old code so all events are broken).

===
*PS: Ren'Py has now officially been updated to 6.99 (from 6.18). Mainly internal improvements like moving to SDL2.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2015, 05:18:44 AM by Xela »
Like what we're doing?