Author Topic: General Discussion  (Read 3821290 times)

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
  • "It's like hunting cows"
Re: General Discussion
« Reply #5760 on: September 09, 2015, 12:57:18 PM »
Ok, whatever you think is useful will do.
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #5761 on: September 09, 2015, 01:32:52 PM »
I mean, if you want to check if the quest exists, it's useless to check if it's active. You could check stage >=0 with try/except for example (I'm not gonna to, all my quests exist so far).
It's also useless to check if a quest active in the first place when you could check stage instead (==0 for non active).

I also made interactions_run_gm_anywhere function, it's supposed to run either gms or interactions (if hired) in the character house, and do neither if the character is a slave or not available.
I want it to use backgrounds based on social status eventually, for now I set them manually.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5762 on: September 09, 2015, 01:53:03 PM »
I mean, if you want to check if the quest exists, it's useless to check if it's active. You could check stage >=0 with try/except for example (I'm not gonna to, all my quests exist so far).
It's also useless to check if a quest active in the first place when you could check stage instead (==0 for non active).

I also made interactions_run_gm_anywhere function, it's supposed to run either gms or interactions (if hired) in the character house, and do neither if the character is a slave or not available.
I want it to use backgrounds based on social status eventually, for now I set them manually.

Maybe, I need to encounter this issues to understand it... like I've said, whatever makes sense to you.

Code: [Select]
$ chars["Naruko_Uzumaki"].set_flag("naruko_eat", value=chars["Naruko_Uzumaki"].flag("naruko_eat")+1)
I am going to rewrite flags a bit so they can be safely inherited but this is the same as:

$ chars["Naruko_Uzumaki"].mod_flag("naruko_eat", 1)

right now, in the current code. I think that I'll expand this method so if the flag is not found when modding, it would be set to 0 + value and written to log instead of nothing happening and logging the fact that a flag has not been preciously setup.

Edit: I'll change the logic but the methods will stay exactly the same* So nothing will change in the game, just in the internal code cause copy-pasting the same code all over the game instead of inheriting from Flags is tiresome.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2015, 01:57:03 PM by Xela »
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #5763 on: September 09, 2015, 02:07:20 PM »
This should prolly return True is char is low on health/vitality... I am not sure, maybe we'll add another property to include those two into checks.
I check this before giving an access to most interactions via interactions_check_for_bad_stuff and interactions_check_for_minor_bad_stuff labels.

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #5764 on: September 09, 2015, 03:45:41 PM »
In order for all village quests to work as intended we need two systems. SE, where you could unlock locations and find quest items, and BE, where you could set any battle you want. Those two parts have issues already.

There are more things I'd like to have for other packs. First are unusable items that can only be possessed or sold, and not equipped or consumed. In fact, gems that I created some time ago which you should be able to find in SE and sell should be unusable (currently they are miscs that do nothing).
Second are special items. I mean items that have a label in json. You can use them (not equip on consume), and when you do it, we jump to that label from json. That would allow us to activate or progress a quest using special items. Or create unique items with very complex logic. Example: a capsule with android that you need to repair before she will join you.

Also, iirc you created logic for quest items that cannot be sold and, if I'm not mistaken, even transfered. I'm afraid I forgot how to create such items  :)

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5765 on: September 09, 2015, 03:50:08 PM »
Can you drop into chatroom for 15 mins?
Like what we're doing?

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5766 on: September 09, 2015, 04:17:10 PM »
In order for all village quests to work as intended we need two systems. SE, where you could unlock locations and find quest items, and BE, where you could set any battle you want. Those two parts have issues already.

- SE is afk due to Gismos new interface.
- I am not aware of any issues with battles other than adding moar stuff to the engine.

There are more things I'd like to have for other packs.

It may be a better bet to work on a story, maybe with a couple of endings...

First are unusable items that can only be possessed or sold, and not equipped or consumed. In fact, gems that I created some time ago which you should be able to find in SE and sell should be unusable (currently they are miscs that do nothing).

I'll have to revisit items system for this, add an issue to github.

Second are special items. I mean items that have a label in json. You can use them (not equip on consume), and when you do it, we jump to that label from json.

Same as above.

Also, iirc you created logic for quest items that cannot be sold and, if I'm not mistaken, even transfered. I'm afraid I forgot how to create such items  :)

They should have "quest" as a slot, it shouldn't be possible to sell, equip or transfer them but I am not sure that we've ever tested that.

*I need to update other parts of items as well:

- Review the code
- Update auto-methods
- Update the way traits are applied (should not be per "gender", not just for instances of Girl class)
- Generalize more functions (transfer/auto and etc.)

(this should also be added to the issue)

This will prolly take a while when I get around to it.

===
I wanted to discuss showing items effects in the equipment screen as well. Gismo wants to show real applicable effects, that is prolly doable for direct stats (although even that may turn out to be a somewhat tricky calculation), but calculating effects of traits application/removal would be a freaking nightmare... We on the other hand discussed several options from not showing any bonuses at all but hinting to them in descriptions, show limited information about an item, show detailed information, something in between and etc...

I'll see if I can refactor something else tonight... don't have any focus left for jobs.
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #5767 on: September 10, 2015, 12:48:59 AM »
Can you drop into chatroom for 15 mins?
Too late, I wanted to get enough sleep before work at least once per week, and went to sleep at that time  :)

I am not aware of any issues with battles other than adding moar stuff to the engine.
I mean a function allowing to quickly run BE with arbitrary characters and mobs. Even without MC when needed.
Like be_run(party[char1:front_row, char2:back_row], enemy:[mob1:front_row, mob2:front_row, char3:back_row]) that will return true if player won.

I'm sure I won't be able to balance BE without such a function.

I told you, I want to tie packs to story one by one.
Also, I'm still waiting for npc class, so without it I pretty much have to use chars instead.

I wanted to discuss showing items effects in the equipment screen as well. Gismo wants to show real applicable effects, that is prolly doable for direct stats (although even that may turn out to be a somewhat tricky calculation), but calculating effects of traits application/removal would be a freaking nightmare... We on the other hand discussed several options from not showing any bonuses at all but hinting to them in descriptions, show limited information about an item, show detailed information, something in between and etc...
I'd prefer to show description with limited info, without concrete numbers (numbers are too tricky with no real benefit). Effects don't have descriptions though, we'll need to add it.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5768 on: September 10, 2015, 02:31:11 AM »
Too late, I wanted to get enough sleep before work at least once per week, and went to sleep at that time  :)

NP, I just wanted to quickly discuss items info directly exposed to the player. I am glad that at least someone got some sleep :)

I mean a function allowing to quickly run BE with arbitrary characters and mobs. Even without MC when needed.
Like be_run(party[char1:front_row, char2:back_row], enemy:[mob1:front_row, mob2:front_row, char3:back_row]) that will return true if player won.

I'm sure I won't be able to balance BE without such a function.

You missed my post after last discussion on this topic. After I've looked into this at your request, I couldn't find a good reason to have a function. In the past it was inevitable since actors had to be reconstructed in Jake's BE, now there is nothing for the function to do. Take a look at a setup someplace with updated code (Frogs event (simplest to find I think), battle simulation, arena and etc.).

I'd prefer to show description with limited info, without concrete numbers (numbers are too tricky with no real benefit). Effects don't have descriptions though, we'll need to add it.

Gismo wont be happy about it, he want to show the exact effects items cause to an actor. It's pretty hard to put together (if we want it to be done right), but I had some ideas yesterday.

I told you, I want to tie packs to story one by one.
Also, I'm still waiting for npc class, so without it I pretty much have to use chars instead.

They do not require a special class... I just need to know how we're going to handle the images. It would be really great if we could use tags system for NPCs (for as many actors as possible actually) but it would mean a bit more work.
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #5769 on: September 10, 2015, 02:38:24 AM »
You missed my post after last discussion on this topic. After I've looked into this at your request, I couldn't find a good reason to have a function.
Don't you always use MC's party vs mobs? I mean cases when you can have any party under command, not MC+his party.

Gismo wont be happy about it, he want to show the exact effects items cause to an actor. It's pretty hard to put together (if we want it to be done right), but I had some ideas yesterday.
Oh, I don't mind. I just don't think that it's possible to do for all effects. They have a complex logic, and in the future there could be even more complex effects.

They do not require a special class... I just need to know how we're going to handle the images. It would be really great if we could use tags system for NPCs (for as many actors as possible actually) but it would mean a bit more work.
We could. I don't even think I need to change something in the tagger, they can use the same tags.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5770 on: September 10, 2015, 03:04:45 AM »
Don't you always use MC's party vs mobs? I mean cases when you can have any party under command, not MC+his party.

Take a look @ the code, you'll see that a party doesn't matter. We do have party vs party in the arena btw.

Oh, I don't mind. I just don't think that it's possible to do for all effects. They have a complex logic, and in the future there could be even more complex effects.

True...

We could. I don't even think I need to change something in the tagger, they can use the same tags.

Yeap, I don't remember if we have this as an issue already.
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #5771 on: September 10, 2015, 03:06:58 AM »
I'm a bit hesitant to make global stories with endings after you mentioned politics system of some kind. I feel like major events should be tied to it. I will make my own story for the next release, yeah, but it probably won't be a core story.

I created issues for items.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2015, 03:10:28 AM by DarkTl »

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5772 on: September 10, 2015, 03:20:53 AM »
One does not exclude the other... Politics are pretty far away on the horizon. I'll be knocking out these issues as time permits :)
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #5773 on: September 10, 2015, 07:05:11 AM »
Do unhired chars restore hp, mp and vitality over time?

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5774 on: September 10, 2015, 07:55:07 AM »
Yes, possibly even instantly, every day. I don't remember for sure.
Like what we're doing?