devolution

Author Topic: General Discussion  (Read 3821623 times)

Offline DarkTl

Re: General Discussion
« Reply #6480 on: December 25, 2015, 01:41:43 PM »
Hm. In the Eliont game all spells also have recharge time, in turns. Might be useful too for us.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
  • "It's like hunting cows"
« Reply #6481 on: December 25, 2015, 01:44:07 PM »
Hm. In the Eliont game all spells also have recharge time, in turns. Might be useful too for us.

I am not doing logic atm, just sfx.

===>
Pushed first bit of code, base + first four fire spells. Without comments and more complex spells for now.

I'll prolly have to flip cataclysm into FilmStrip or add image prediction, it never works well on the first try even with ("would be") perfect timings we have now. Accessing ==> Loading ==> Displaying 55 files in real time in super quick succession just doesn't work without proper measures...
« Last Edit: December 25, 2015, 05:22:52 PM by Xela »
Like what we're doing?

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6482 on: December 25, 2015, 06:15:37 PM »
It's so awesome to work with a functioning system once everything is more or less set to work properly :D

P2P Magical Attack is working now!

It's Areal counterpart is next. Then it's just the Arrows left + major spell timings update and new gfx.
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #6483 on: December 26, 2015, 06:08:43 AM »
I'll prolly have to flip cataclysm into FilmStrip
It won't be simple. I tried to find a plugin which can combine layers into film strip, but unsuccessfully.
On the other hand, plugins for gimp are made in python, so you probably can write one by yourself  :)

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6484 on: December 26, 2015, 06:24:32 AM »
It won't be simple. I tried to find a plugin which can combine layers into film strip, but unsuccessfully.

I think it was a gif initially, it was you who pointed out that we can just convert gifs to filmstrips. I tracked the issue down to death effect with dissolve, my animation class somehow doesn't like when dissolve is running at the same time as it. Spells/Death all work really well now, I am going to test them on faster PC soon just to make sure. Maybe a rewrite of Animation class is also a good idea, we could simply force it to show correct images at the correct time instead of trying to time them using renpy.redraws, it's not too hard and should solve the animation overshoot issue (I just hope that it will not create a new one where frames are skipped, but even if it does, that will be a lot harder to notice).

In any case, I am still testing, tweaking and updating some spells. I wanna try projectile spell that hits three targets with individual attacks, that should be possible now :)

On the other hand, plugins for gimp are made in python, so you probably can write one by yourself  :)

I didn't know that but I don't have Gimp atm...
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #6485 on: December 26, 2015, 06:34:35 AM »
I think it was a gif initially, it was you who pointed out that we can just convert gifs to filmstrips.
All tools I've seen convert animations into filmstrips, not separate images. That's why all spells added by me are filmstrips. I dunno how you even managed to convert a gif into 55 images -_-

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6486 on: December 26, 2015, 07:59:08 AM »
All tools I've seen convert animations into filmstrips, not separate images. That's why all spells added by me are filmstrips. I dunno how you even managed to convert a gif into 55 images -_-

LoL

And all tools I've initially found split gifs into individual images :)

Both turned out to be very common... I am not entirely sure if it's a better idea to cut one file with a huge resolution or load 55 files one by one. My filmstrip code works along the same lines as the Animation but somehow, so far, it is doing a better job. Maybe because it is used mostly with simpler RPG Maker frames. I'll take a look at how Ren'Py default methods handle these things.

I managed a couple of new updates but couldn't push to GitHub, gonna try that again...
Like what we're doing?

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6487 on: December 26, 2015, 08:50:27 AM »
I wanna try projectile spell that hits three targets with individual attacks, that should be possible now :)

Seems to be working! Although does not look as cool as I've hoped.

I tracked the issue down to death effect with dissolve

I think that I know now what's causing this, it is likely that dissolve is forcing animation to continue for as long as it is alive. I'll take a look at how that can be solved.
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #6488 on: December 26, 2015, 09:19:02 AM »
Mmm, you do know that Solar Flash does CTD, right?

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6489 on: December 26, 2015, 09:31:10 AM »
Mmm, you do know that Solar Flash does CTD, right?

Ofcourse, I am still updating spells. For now just trying to make sure that nothing crashes the game...

Oki, I pushed another update, there shouldn't be any more crashes. Many spells are still not updated to new code or not timed perfectly. I got to take care of some rl stuff now, gonna try more stuff later.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2015, 09:52:21 AM by Xela »
Like what we're doing?

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6490 on: December 26, 2015, 12:09:43 PM »
I am tired of messing with spells and timing, gonna try to clean up my Ren'Py projects folder and maybe toy with some basic saturation/tinting/brightness manipulations and see if there some feature for BE in that area (like maybe new damage effect)...
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #6491 on: December 26, 2015, 02:04:54 PM »
You mean stuff like color filters? For example, make the whole screen a big red during Cataclysm?

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6492 on: December 26, 2015, 02:09:33 PM »
toy with some basic saturation/tinting/brightness manipulations and see if there some feature for BE in that area (like maybe new damage effect)...

8)  :o 8) And we have a new damage to sprite effect! ;D  :o ;D

Pretty basic for now but it looks good enough.

===>>>
it is likely that dissolve is forcing animation to continue for as long as it is alive. I'll take a look at how that can be solved.

Fuck (yeah, without the * censor) dissolve (and other transitions while in BE mode as well)... we're switching to alpha transform :)
Like what we're doing?

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6493 on: December 26, 2015, 02:10:04 PM »
You mean stuff like color filters? For example, make the whole screen a big red during Cataclysm?

Hold on, I'll push. Check out Firaga :)
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #6494 on: December 26, 2015, 02:23:26 PM »
Ahh, yeah, they do it often in jrpgs  :)

I suppose massive spells could use full screen color change for 0.5-1 second when they strike the ground. If it will look good enough.