devolution

Author Topic: General Discussion  (Read 3821308 times)

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
  • "It's like hunting cows"
Re: General Discussion
« Reply #6495 on: December 26, 2015, 02:27:00 PM »
Ahh, yeah, they do it often in jrpgs  :)

I suppose massive spells could use full screen color change for 0.5-1 second when they strike the ground. If it will look good enough.

I know, but there is no guide as to how so I had to look at what functions we have. Full screen may be a pain to work with, especially when changing colors. Maybe a shake effect or effect just to background instead...
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #6496 on: December 26, 2015, 02:35:28 PM »
Yeap, background sounds good too.

Why do you replaced shake gfx with fire? You can't use both at the same time?

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6497 on: December 26, 2015, 02:37:10 PM »
Why do you replaced shake gfx with fire? You can't use both at the same time?

Like what? fire_shake? :D <== Done! Check out Firaja.

No idea, let me try, there should be nothing preventing it. Did you kill anyone with arrows yet btw?
« Last Edit: December 26, 2015, 02:50:11 PM by Xela »
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #6498 on: December 26, 2015, 03:03:46 PM »
Did you kill anyone with arrows yet btw?
Looks awesome!  :)

If you willing to play with effects, you can make a unique death animation for every element. Like, for fire the target becomes black and crumbles into dust, being burned out.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6499 on: December 26, 2015, 03:11:35 PM »
If you willing to play with effects, you can make a unique death animation for every element. Like, for fire the target becomes black and crumbles into dust, being burned out.

Like recolor to black and fadeout?

==>
I'll try something with background next :)

=====>>>
Just had another GFX idea to try after the bg thing...
« Last Edit: December 26, 2015, 03:21:17 PM by Xela »
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #6500 on: December 26, 2015, 03:52:57 PM »
I mean stuff like fading+waving effect like this one for water, or for air fading + slow enlarging of sprite, to show how the target dissolves in the air. Or maybe this circle based transition, might look better.
We can live without it of course, but spells will look a bit better.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6501 on: December 26, 2015, 04:32:20 PM »
I mean stuff like fading+waving effect like this one for water, or for air fading + slow enlarging of sprite, to show how the target dissolves in the air. Or maybe this circle based transition, might look better.
We can live without it of course, but spells will look a bit better.

We'll see... I don't want to use transitions in BE anymore, they tend to mess sh!t up somehow. I wanna take a look at some new Attacks in general, maybe a unique combat skill or something or hack at something else, this can wait and I need to think about it for a while.

Mirage added to True Cataclysm :) Any other ideas?
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #6502 on: December 26, 2015, 04:38:51 PM »
Wow, that was awesome  :D

You can add special death for fire, target becomes black and either fades out or does the same thing you do for fire arrow, but using smaller parts, because ash particles are very small.
Or if you tired of animation, issue 18 is there.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6503 on: December 26, 2015, 05:07:29 PM »
You can add special death for fire, target becomes black and either fades out or does the same thing you do for fire arrow, but using smaller parts, because ash particles are very small.

I'll think about a good way to make new death effect but we can leave that for later. Also it's a complex effect that will rarely be visible and looks weird in my head. It's more like a cool finishing move but as a death effect it will prolly look messy...

issue 18 is there.

Yeah, that may be useful as well.

===>>>
I am going to call it a night and go hunting for new GFX effects (there is a lot of cool stuff out there) until I fall asleep, maybe add new epic attack of some kind :) It's too late for major stuff + I am really happy how new BE system is working so it's a huge win already!
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #6504 on: December 26, 2015, 06:37:22 PM »
I still have those absolutely amazing animations from the japanese website you showed me some time ago. I even saved them locally to make sure I have them even if the website will be closed  :)
So we can afford plenty of global and good looking spells like your Cataclysm.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6505 on: December 26, 2015, 09:44:12 PM »
So we can afford plenty of global and good looking spells like your Cataclysm.

New animation for normal Cataclysm (+ new logic for flipping animations), for now without synced sound. Also I've added a test for how much quality we loose when reducing image size, left is normal, middle 0.5 the size, right 0.25 the size.

Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #6506 on: December 27, 2015, 02:58:20 AM »
0.5 doesn't look half bad.
This one looks like a great global wind spell.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6507 on: December 27, 2015, 07:12:36 AM »
Yeah, I found a lot of gfx online yesterday as well (The marple once are still the best and they made a couple of new once since I checked last (before finally moving to 3D so that source is pretty much exhausted with the +/- 500 new animations, big and small)) :) I think that eventually the best once well be combinations like CWs arrows, those were also taken from it, the more complex, the better.

Gonna take another run at the code tonight, maybe BE, maybe something else (although I am still in a mood for BE since a couple of decent "wins" last night in that module, both in code and content!).
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #6508 on: December 27, 2015, 07:29:11 AM »
I'm rewriting interaction sex scene meanwhile. I picked up get_act function from jobs, we have that new get_image_tags function to make better texts, and I wrote check_submissivity function which determines how independent the character is based on traits and character stat.
All this will allow to have much more variety there.

We'll probably need to show levels of libido and maybe a few other stats during the scene. Something like these progress bars.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6509 on: December 27, 2015, 08:26:38 AM »
Oki... I thought we were going to remove libido, which is it? :D

===>>>
A bit more logic is also needed for proper animation, renpy.show/hide have insane function overhead and we're suffering from that already a little bit. It'll only get worse with complex animations...

ATL/UDD is the way to go! Depending on specific case, that will allow animation sequences of (almost) any complexity without hiccups. I am going to do that for bg first (never having done that before, it is the simplest testing case we have). There could be some places where that's not acceptable and skipping will look weirder (with complex animations) although still perfectly possible.
Like what we're doing?