Author Topic: General Discussion  (Read 3821197 times)

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
  • "It's like hunting cows"
Re: General Discussion
« Reply #6585 on: January 06, 2016, 02:55:12 PM »
I think you should do it full screen.

Oki, I don't mind how it presently looks, we'll see how it looks if it fills half the screen.
Like what we're doing?

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6586 on: January 06, 2016, 04:12:09 PM »
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #6587 on: January 06, 2016, 05:38:30 PM »
- all packs are optional, except maybe a few starting ones. People who don't have a good connection will avoid downloading huge ones.
- pictures are resized, and packs have as few png as possible.
- blindly decreasing quality is a risky thing that could mess up some pictures for good. To check everything manually after reducing quality means to check 25000 images (and the number is growing).
- most audio files are converted to mp3, at least those we have for a long time. Closer to the release we'll convert remaining ones.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6588 on: January 07, 2016, 05:11:49 PM »
New water spell... took me a good deal of time to setup as our system doesn't support combinations like that. It turned out alright even without major gfx (at least I think that it did).
Like what we're doing?

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6589 on: January 08, 2016, 03:05:18 AM »
I'll try to wrap up the last spell for ice tonight. Then I want to rename one or two spells, disable a few (so the amount of spells are uniform) and add positions for proper sorting. After that it'll be just the sfx and balancing but I want to switch to the jobs for a bit first, maybe start on fg as well.
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #6590 on: January 08, 2016, 12:55:29 PM »
I enlarged and smoothed Dominion spell sprite and made it full screen, i think it looks better that way. Of course anchors are completely wrong, so you should take a look  :)

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6591 on: January 08, 2016, 05:19:50 PM »
enlarged

That's not a good idea, you should plainly do the: Transform("name", size=(1280, 800)) instead of Transform("name", zoom=(1.1)) we have now.

Edit:
W: 8925px | H: 5310px (Scary  ???)

Edit 2:
I've resized it back to it's last size and wrote the proper class to show it at dead center. We prolly lost some quality while resizing it so many times but it looks ok, you can always "smooth" the original if this isn't good enough.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2016, 05:59:35 PM by Xela »
Like what we're doing?

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6592 on: January 08, 2016, 10:19:03 PM »
Phew.. this took a lot out of me but I managed to rewrite the WaterBlast class to be more general and reusable + improved it's intimation (first part now pays out completely instead of being replaced by the second) a bit + added new Ice spell + improved "frozen" damage to sprite effect (it was too abrupt and the original sprite now stays on the battlefield behind the ice) + added new "iced" damage to sprite effect where we get a pattern from a mask image and overlay the sprite with it (it works well but I could only find a really sh!tty ice pattern .jpg).
Like what we're doing?

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6593 on: January 08, 2016, 10:50:50 PM »
I think we should do 6 - 8 spells per element for now. 4 base and easy to find and 2 - 4 rare and hard to get, rest of the spells can be for mobs to use exclusively. If it's going to be 6 or 8 depends on how many good ways of finding the unique once we can come up with.
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #6594 on: January 09, 2016, 12:02:58 PM »
That's not a good idea, you should plainly do the: Transform("name", size=(1280, 800)) instead of Transform("name", zoom=(1.1)) we have now.
GIMP's resizing plugins are supposed to do it better than renpy in terms of quality. Doesn't matter, it's fine too atm.

I created new sfxs for your new spells based on db stuff.

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #6595 on: January 09, 2016, 12:57:10 PM »
added new "iced" damage to sprite effect where we get a pattern from a mask image and overlay the sprite with it (it works well but I could only find a really sh!tty ice pattern .jpg).
Actually, it looks quite well. Too bad it's not supported by SimpleMagicalAttack, I wanted to add it to Hailstorm.

Now, if you can overlay sprite with animated picture, like this one, we'll have unique fire damage  :)

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6596 on: January 09, 2016, 01:50:56 PM »
GIMP's resizing plugins are supposed to do it better than renpy in terms of quality. Doesn't matter, it's fine too atm.

That might be but large images are very slow to load and handle properly for almost any kind of software. We need to keep these things in check.

I created new sfxs for your new spells based on db stuff.

That's great, I'll take a look when I can.

Actually, it looks quite well. Too bad it's not supported by SimpleMagicalAttack, I wanted to add it to Hailstorm.

It should be supported everywhere, that was the whole point of me spending day and a half recording BE without any visible benefit to the player. New code should allow using all special gfx/sfx to be used everywhere as long as we do not overwrite parent class's methods and functionality, in this case there should not be any overwrites.

Now, if you can overlay sprite with animated picture, like this one, we'll have unique fire damage  :)

It shouldn't matter if it's an animation or not one bit, I'll take a look when I can.

===>>
I'll have very little time for the project in the next one or two weeks due to rl stuff, I'll still be around to fix minor stuff and make small improvements, maybe work on jobs code bit by bit (but it didn't work last time I had to a lot of work in rl :( ).
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #6597 on: January 09, 2016, 02:07:54 PM »
When I try to add it to Hailstorm like target_sprite_damage_effect={"gfx": "iced", "initial_pause": 0.1, "duration": 1.9}, nothing happens.  When I try target_sprite_damage_effect=[0.1, "iced", 1.9], it just gives an error.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6598 on: January 09, 2016, 02:39:57 PM »
When I try to add it to Hailstorm like target_sprite_damage_effect={"gfx": "iced", "initial_pause": 0.1, "duration": 1.9}, nothing happens.  When I try target_sprite_damage_effect=[0.1, "iced", 1.9], it just gives an error.

I'll fix this later tonight, it should really work.
Like what we're doing?

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6599 on: January 09, 2016, 02:49:32 PM »

Yeah, what happened here is old definitions overwriting the new, this:

Code: [Select]
target_sprite_damage_effect={"gfx": "iced", "initial_pause": 0.1, "duration": 1.9}
was the way to do it but you didn't delete the old target_sprite_damage_effect.
Like what we're doing?