devolution

Author Topic: General Discussion  (Read 3821520 times)

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
  • "It's like hunting cows"
Re: General Discussion
« Reply #6615 on: January 12, 2016, 09:58:48 AM »
And these things are opposite. If you need traits to learn spells, multiple traits become preferable to a single element trait, because you more likely will have a counter spell against enemy weakness with many different spells.

True. It would still make sense though.

Maybe we should not stack bonuses or stack only half the bonuses but all the penalties with multiple elements... we'll release as it stands and see how that works.
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #6616 on: January 12, 2016, 11:59:25 AM »
Finished FF13 pack today, MuteDay asked for it and Janmaba collected resources for it.
Of course there won't be new datafiles until we finalize their format at least for beta.

I still have resources for 5 more random packs, for now I'll finish one of them.

Offline Lurker

« Reply #6617 on: January 12, 2016, 05:05:12 PM »
Hey lads. Just curious how this project is coming along. Any new updates gonna be released to general public soon? :)
Itching to see what you guys have come up with.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6618 on: January 13, 2016, 03:18:27 AM »
We came up with a whole bunch of stuff but it'll take some time to wrap everything up... when it is ready for a release still unknown.
Like what we're doing?

Offline wahn128

« Reply #6619 on: January 14, 2016, 05:04:57 PM »
By the way, I wanted to say thanks for all the hard work you people are putting into the game. Fitting together a whole game is not an easy road.

Eagerly awaiting any release that might eventually come out of it, and checking for news every few weeks...

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6620 on: January 15, 2016, 12:01:40 AM »

Fitting together a whole game is not an easy road.

Especially one with a BE, Interactions system and business management. We'll get there in the end!
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #6621 on: January 15, 2016, 11:47:59 AM »
Phew, another huge random pack is out of the way.

Btw I'm not sure what to do with healing if you will need traits to learn appropriate spells.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6622 on: January 15, 2016, 04:41:49 PM »
Phew, another huge random pack is out of the way.

Btw I'm not sure what to do with healing if you will need traits to learn appropriate spells.

Healing is usually Light/Water related but we can drop the element/spell thing since you've made decent arguments against it. At least before the system gets more mature.
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #6623 on: January 16, 2016, 11:15:11 AM »
Speaking of which. I recall you were very much against resurrection of any kind at all, saying that death should be a major thing.
And now not only there is a check that prevents death during jobs, but also a spell.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6624 on: January 16, 2016, 11:37:49 AM »
Speaking of which. I recall you were very much against resurrection of any kind at all, saying that death should be a major thing.
And now not only there is a check that prevents death during jobs, but also a spell.

Resurrection during battles is too common and more often than not, does not transfer to game world. We'll address death during jobs if required, as you recall, in our old SE module, death was pretty much on the table, especially with high risk.
Like what we're doing?

Offline deadkingblue

« Reply #6625 on: January 16, 2016, 02:21:52 PM »
Are you guys gonna make an editor? (like the one for whoremaster), Cause xml and json files don't have an editor built into windows like the .girlsx files do.(cause .girlsx files are renamed .txt files. :P )

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6626 on: January 16, 2016, 03:17:17 PM »
Are you guys gonna make an editor? (like the one for whoremaster), Cause xml and json files don't have an editor built into windows like the .girlsx files do.(cause .girlsx files are renamed .txt files. :P )

It's a common misconception, windows does not associate any editor with those formats but those are open text, just like Ren'Pys .rpy. I am not in favor of making an editor because it will quite possible plainly complicate the modding process... best example is the examples.rpy file that holds basic modding routines for the game, any modding soft I can imagine will curtail default capabilities.

Edit:
What we could use before beta release is a guide, not a piece of dedicated software.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2016, 03:19:03 PM by Xela »
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #6627 on: January 17, 2016, 02:26:20 AM »
Where is BE AI code?

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6628 on: January 17, 2016, 02:32:53 AM »
Code: [Select]
    class BE_AI(object):
in core.rpy file inside of be folder. If you want to improve AI, you should prolly create a new class inheriting from this one because we prolly don't want a very complicated AI during auto-fights for example.
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #6629 on: January 17, 2016, 08:27:18 AM »
Wow. I mean, I didn't expected super advanced AI, but still, just wow. Skill = choice(skills), target = choice(targets), execute :D

- Different classes should act differently, like healers should closely look at party hp.
- In the future MPTraits should provide a slight difference in algorithms.
- Mages should tend to use spells that match their element traits, unless they are very ineffective.
- Party should avoid using elements that are ineffective, especially if they heal enemies. Currently it's totally possible to heal some fire element via spamming fireballs until it kills everyone.
Perhaps we could use a bestiary, like when party encounter a fire element and tries to use a fire on it, since this moment all your characters know that they shouldn't do it anymore for the rest of the game.