devolution

Author Topic: General Discussion  (Read 3821840 times)

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
  • "It's like hunting cows"
Re: General Discussion
« Reply #7005 on: March 30, 2016, 01:21:42 PM »
Here

Sadly no :(

There doesn't seem to be a program anywhere that can clear black background from a complex image. For simpler cases where the attack itself is fully or almost fully opaque, you can use the image itself as a mask or photoshop and even some online tools can clear the background for you.

Best I managed so far is to clear black matte and set the red channel to 255 with everything else to 0. It may have been perfect but it can no longer be saved as a gif because colors are too complex and the program I am doing that with is too simple. I will try it in photoshop next.
Like what we're doing?

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7006 on: March 30, 2016, 01:28:59 PM »
I either don't know how to do it properly but photoshop doesn't seem to be able to to it properly either, gonna try combine work from both programs.

Edit: That piece of shit gif cannot even be saved without converting to red first...
« Last Edit: March 30, 2016, 01:32:21 PM by Xela »
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #7007 on: March 30, 2016, 01:34:21 PM »
I dunno why you insisted on using monocolors instead of old good grayscale. I just used that ice animation together with this attachment as an alpha mask, and it looked awesome.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2016, 01:36:14 PM by DarkTl »

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7008 on: March 30, 2016, 01:54:39 PM »
I dunno why you insisted on using monocolors instead of old good grayscale. I just used that ice animation together with this attachment as an alpha mask, and it looked awesome.

It's still too transparent so a farcry from perfect (I tried the exact same thing, grayscale is easy in any software)... it's a possibility, I have few others as well.
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #7009 on: March 30, 2016, 02:59:08 PM »
Hm. I think it can be achieved by manually adjusting brightness and contrast for the alpha mask. But it's a tedious work.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7010 on: March 30, 2016, 03:59:43 PM »
Hm. I think it can be achieved by manually adjusting brightness and contrast for the alpha mask. But it's a tedious work.

I am not sure that it can be achieved even then :(

When the images were merged with black background, original transparency information was lost. There may not be any (perfect) way of recovering it working with an image as a whole. Best two (quick) ways right now are this:

1) GreyScale all frames and use as a mask. You get a version where the transparency is way below the original.
2) Remove black matte. You instantly get (about) the same thing. After converting colors to black (all rbg color values to 0) and use that as a mask for webm, you get a very sharp image but with some information lost (you don't see the handle of the ice sword for example). Otherwise there are no artifacts of any kind.

=====>>>
The very best way to recover the lost information (imo) would be to remove the matte and write a script that would go over every frame pixel by pixel and increase pixels alpha based of predetermined range (low increase for high alpha, 0 increase for 0 and high increase for low alphas) but it's not something I want to write atm :D

Edit: Maybe some color information is lost as well... it'll prolly require a genius to get it right...
« Last Edit: March 30, 2016, 05:06:16 PM by Xela »
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #7011 on: March 31, 2016, 06:14:12 AM »
I found a source code of the tool that I used to rip maple resources and fixed a few errors. It will allow me to rip some more animations, although I'm not sure if all those animations from your db are still in the game.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7012 on: March 31, 2016, 07:14:12 AM »
Ok, quality of the original resources is obviously a lot better cause there was color and alpha loss when converting to gifs.

But those resources are not really setup for conversion to .webm either, creating wemb from png images is not an issue but in their case, all images are of different size and quite possibly require different rules/scripts to animate them.

It'll still be great, if you can get more out of it :)
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #7013 on: March 31, 2016, 09:50:09 AM »
Can't be helped, in the game they use custom settings for every single frame (yeah, not even an algorithm).

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7014 on: March 31, 2016, 11:53:15 AM »
Can't be helped, in the game they use custom settings for every single frame (yeah, not even an algorithm).

Yeah... but those animations are great. It's totally worth just ATLing them as images, prolly easier than converting to webm as well.
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #7015 on: March 31, 2016, 02:51:45 PM »
There we go. In my db/maple/new the set of pictures starting with 75 is your ice spell.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7016 on: March 31, 2016, 03:39:43 PM »
Awesome :)
Like what we're doing?

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7017 on: April 01, 2016, 05:59:14 AM »
I wonder if it's worth clearing GUI to simplify future development cause some mistakes with style made in the past (very beginning of the project) are still messing things up and make gui development more time consuming :(

Yeah... just tried it and it doesn't look like too much work. I'll prolly kill our default theme and restyle the base styles to something new. on the other hand, it's better to do it gradually over time.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2016, 06:24:16 AM by Xela »
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #7018 on: April 01, 2016, 06:39:30 AM »
That ice sword actually a part of big animations set for both swords and axes with multiple elements, so it's probably better to leave it for warriors skills or something if had plans to use it as an ice spell.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7019 on: April 01, 2016, 06:50:17 AM »
That ice sword actually a part of big animations set for both swords and axes with multiple elements, so it's probably better to leave it for warriors skills or something if had plans to use it as an ice spell.

No, I was figuring out the .webm conversion. That was just an example of an animation that was really hard to convert from a black bg gif.
Like what we're doing?