devolution

Author Topic: General Discussion  (Read 3821882 times)

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
  • "It's like hunting cows"
Re: General Discussion
« Reply #7035 on: April 05, 2016, 02:31:52 AM »
We should automate the creation of spells scrolls. They share the same icon per element, the same name "[spell name] scroll", the same description except for spell name again, the same location (Exploration).

Creating scrolls manually for every new spell/skill is unwise. Price and chance plainly could be based on spell effect value or something, or could be set somewhere else.

Doable... we should prolly start an issue.
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #7036 on: April 05, 2016, 11:53:49 AM »
Transfer screen should be a lot better now, I'll fix the rest of the code after refactoring. Also advances cleaning job a bit but it's not yet ready.
But I don't see all characters in the building at the transfer screen. The set of characters there is a bit different every time I restart the game, but I never see all of them.

Like Hinata, our testing items container, who is always in the testing building. I started the game 5 times, and never saw her at the screen.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7037 on: April 05, 2016, 12:12:53 PM »
Yeah, I noticed that as well, guess the sorting code is not up to date yet, using older fields. I'll add another issue.
Like what we're doing?

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7038 on: April 05, 2016, 01:32:13 PM »
Creating scrolls manually for every new spell/skill is unwise. Price and chance plainly could be based on spell effect value or something, or could be set somewhere else.

Maybe add it to spells themselves or something, I've labeled it longterm for now... gonna take a look at wtf is happening with sorting of characters.

Edit:

Char sorting seems to be in better shape than I thought, it is working for now... (I hope, system is complex and code is incomplete atm).

Also fixed a weird bug where chars refused to give up an item twice, that should not have been happening at all...
« Last Edit: April 05, 2016, 02:31:55 PM by Xela »
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #7039 on: April 05, 2016, 03:27:36 PM »
I have to say, some of those animations are very complex. For example, one summons a cannon that shots a cannonball which flies and then explodes.

Summoning cannon, making a shot ie showing powder gases, flying ball and explosion are all different animations.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7040 on: April 06, 2016, 12:38:16 AM »
I wish they were naming their animation better... but by the looks of it, they are animating frame by frame in any case so complex or not, workload is quite large.
Like what we're doing?

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7041 on: April 06, 2016, 02:21:06 PM »
I decided not to create an auto-creation system for magic (after I wrote some code for it) ==> items for now because it will limit the modding and create some confusion. We should prolly move them to a separate json file, later also adding relevant elements to good traits and maybe use more icons. We also don't want scrolls for all spells. And some could be sold in shops, like Abby should prolly sell fire spells, maybe even unique once at a very low chance.

Basically, I think auto-system is not a good idea in the long run, it may be not flexible enough in the long run and we'll have to allow a possibility to mod almost every field through Spell declarations which is kind of like recreating items system. Also at some point, I wanted to add spells that would be removed after x amount of days using consumable temp system which would also suffer with this.
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #7042 on: April 06, 2016, 03:08:22 PM »
If we implement all animations, we'll have like 1000 spells/arts roughly. I'm not going to create 1000 scrolls manually no matter what.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2016, 03:10:58 PM by DarkTl »

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7043 on: April 06, 2016, 03:18:50 PM »
If we implement all animations, we'll have like 1000 spells/arts roughly. I'm not going to create 1000 scrolls manually no matter what.

It'll take 30 min - 1h per animation for decent spells and 1 min copy-pasting and adjusting the scroll + we will not need scrolls for all animations cause some will be unique to bossed and specific characters + I would really hate it if all new spells could be learned through scrolls (or just land themselves in Exploration areas).
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #7044 on: April 07, 2016, 10:35:57 AM »
Schools are broken somehow.
While loading <'ProportionalScale' <'Image' u'D:\\Pytfall\\RenPy\\PyTFall/game\\content/schools/Group/Thumbs.db'> 175 175 True>:
  File "game/library/screens/training.rpy", line 27, in script
    with dissolve
  File "game/library/UDDs.rpy", line 219, in load
    child = im.cache.get(self.image)
error: Unsupported image format
I thought you already resolved the issue with Thumbs.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7045 on: April 07, 2016, 11:25:26 AM »
Schools are broken somehow.I thought you already resolved the issue with Thumbs.

Not really :(

There is an issue for a general overhaul of all data/image loading routines but it's a huge undertaking that I don't want to mess with at the moment so these things are solved on case per case basis.

Main problem is that usual Ren'Py way (which can be used safely and will work on any os, Android and iOS included), as it is, not a good option cause it is working rather slowly because of the amount of files that we have and due to being somewhat inflexible.

There are checks for these things almost everywhere, I guess one spot in the code just fell through the cracks :)
Like what we're doing?

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7046 on: April 07, 2016, 02:25:41 PM »
Schools are broken somehow.I thought you already resolved the issue with Thumbs.

Finally found it, it was in Thewlises code.
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #7047 on: April 08, 2016, 04:59:52 AM »
                    if file.endswith((".png", ".jpg")):
                        images.append("schools/%s/%s"%(p, file))
Doesn't it mean that the game will ignore *.jpeg? I have none in my packs, but we cannot guarantee there won't be any in other packs or among our backgrounds.

Ok, I finished with maple. Try to drop maple gifs to db again, I have a bit more space now.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2016, 11:44:21 AM by DarkTl »

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7048 on: April 08, 2016, 03:13:02 PM »
Doesn't it mean that the game will ignore *.jpeg? I have none in my packs, but we cannot guarantee there won't be any in other packs or among our backgrounds.

Ok, I finished with maple. Try to drop maple gifs to db again, I have a bit more space now.

jpeg can be renamed to jpg. Also that bit of code is valid only for schools.

===>>
Maple resources are still in my DB, I'll see if I can get a link for that folder tomorrow.
Like what we're doing?

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7049 on: April 08, 2016, 04:03:30 PM »
Oh man... there are some really cool animations there! firewhirl thing looks awesome, dice are great. Loads of other stuff too... Too bad there is so much other stuff that needs to be taken care of first :(
Like what we're doing?