Author Topic: General Discussion  (Read 3821814 times)

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
  • "It's like hunting cows"
Re: General Discussion
« Reply #7980 on: August 10, 2016, 04:05:57 PM »
What is the name of the attack? What I did should have been safe cause I just removed code duplicates from subclasses and had parent class handle the methods, but I guess it isn't?
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #7981 on: August 10, 2016, 04:08:26 PM »
Soul Sword. It's near the healing spells, since the game doesn't have a tab for melee "magic attacks".

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7982 on: August 10, 2016, 04:09:36 PM »
Soul Sword. It's near the healing spells, since the the game doesn't have a tab for melee "magic attacks".

If it's not magic, your should subclass it from SimpleAttack instead of the Magical. I'll take a look anyhow.
Like what we're doing?

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7983 on: August 10, 2016, 04:19:53 PM »
It got got nothing to do with vitality, you can't "melee" from back row while your front row is still standing.
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #7984 on: August 10, 2016, 04:23:03 PM »
Ranged doesn't work too.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7985 on: August 10, 2016, 04:26:49 PM »
Ranged doesn't work too.

Set both ranged and an appropriate range. At least three to reach the front row of the other team (I think, don't remember if I had it start at 0 for code consistency or at 1 so it's intuitive for humans, it might be in comments somewhere and it's prolly the latter).
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #7986 on: August 10, 2016, 04:36:00 PM »
SimpleAttack("Soul Sword", attributes=["ranged"], critpower=0.4, range=3, effect=4, vitality_cost=1, main_effect={"gfx": Transform("soul_sword", zoom=1.7), "sfx": "content/sfx/sound/be/sword.mp3"})
I tried to make it based on SimpleAttack. It only shows the first frame now...

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7987 on: August 10, 2016, 04:39:02 PM »
Last frame maybe? It's the f*cking bug I reported, it should show the animation correctly once and then you need to reboot the game (not reload with Shift + R, like completely close + start)...
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #7988 on: August 10, 2016, 04:47:00 PM »
No, first. And I don't even need to use it once, like with the spells bug. I pushed it again.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7989 on: August 10, 2016, 04:49:00 PM »
No, first. And I don't even need to use it once, like with the spells bug. I pushed it again.

I''ll take a look... I thought those were the same (like exactly the same), I was just using subclasses for sorting...
Like what we're doing?

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7990 on: August 10, 2016, 04:53:46 PM »
You misunderstood, that way of defining attacks is obsolete! I put it in multiple places in the comments, in a perfect world we would have changed all definitions by now (even some magic is skill defined in the old fashion). You old code was perfectly fine, you just had to change the name of the class, rest of it being the same.
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #7991 on: August 10, 2016, 05:05:16 PM »
Hm. The system is not ready for skills with attributes=["melee", "fire"] for example. Such animations exist in db, like a sword with flame around it. I guess some elifs should be tweaked to react properly.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7992 on: August 10, 2016, 05:08:45 PM »
Maybe, I haven't seen that code in a long time. I can't figure out why my new class doesn't do sh!t :( I mean not even the most basic Ren'Py functionality of rendering... Going to try it under simpler conditions than BE...
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #7993 on: August 10, 2016, 05:30:06 PM »
The simple way is to calculate attack and defense differently, and use standard rules for elements, with resistance and absorption stuff.

The hard way is to allow such attacks deal both physical and elemental damage, 50/50, with each part calculated differently. That would require changes I'm not capable of, ie one attack deals two or more types of damage one after another.

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #7994 on: August 10, 2016, 05:32:56 PM »
Btw that aside, there are a few very cool multielemental spells in db. I suspect at some point this river will be crossed.