Author Topic: General Discussion  (Read 3821806 times)

Offline DarkTl

Re: General Discussion
« Reply #8010 on: August 11, 2016, 11:14:59 AM »
Deflected and damage. I mean, we don't have a concept for this so there is no way for me to know if it's ok?
Deflecting removes 1/3 of damage, it still can kill. I suppose you could disable deflecting if successful deflecting still won't save the target, if it bothers you.

Like only a part of the damage was reflected or something.
Reflecting damage back is a nice option too, but only post beta or release.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2016, 11:25:16 AM by DarkTl »

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
  • "It's like hunting cows"
« Reply #8011 on: August 11, 2016, 12:34:45 PM »
Right, I am going to mess with chain attack a little bit more tonight, if that goes well, I'll review the BE a bit, see what you did there and what else can be done to make it's code more intuitive so we can take out all issues...

One of the issues is that I tried to code it so it works as fast as possible, because we'd be running it a lot but that was a mistake cause new features are now harder to add.
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #8012 on: August 11, 2016, 12:40:19 PM »
There is another issue. When you added magic shiled animation, you made it work like evasion for magic. Ie it uses the very same mechanics, but when you show the animation you check gfx tied to the used skill (if I'm not mistaken), and if it's != "dodge" you show the magic shield animation instead of dodging animation.

That forced me to use the same check (gfx != dodge) in multiple places to make it work as I needed.

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #8013 on: August 11, 2016, 12:53:19 PM »
I have your last push, and I can see that in BE testing mode characters still have 100 evasion and resistance.

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #8014 on: August 11, 2016, 01:12:02 PM »
    image soul_sword:
        "content/gfx/be/animations/soul_sword/soul_sword_1.png"
        pause 0.1
        "content/gfx/be/animations/soul_sword/soul_sword_2.png"
        pause 0.1
        "content/gfx/be/animations/soul_sword/soul_sword_3.png"
        pause 0.1
        "content/gfx/be/animations/soul_sword/soul_sword_4.png"
        pause 0.1
        "content/gfx/be/animations/soul_sword/soul_sword_5.png"
        pause 0.1
        "content/gfx/be/animations/soul_sword/soul_sword_6.png"
        pause 0.1
        "content/gfx/be/animations/soul_sword/soul_sword_7.png"
        pause 0.1
        "content/gfx/be/animations/soul_sword/soul_sword_8.png"
        pause 0.1
How can I use anchors for animations like that? Simply adding anchor (0.5, 0.5) in the beginning does nothing.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8015 on: August 11, 2016, 01:26:36 PM »
How can I use anchors for animations like that? Simply adding anchor (0.5, 0.5) in the beginning does nothing.

That should work, what do you want to do with it? I've already said that working with these animations is confusing as hell... but I can usually manage. Might be simpler to webm them using adobe soft, that was very simple and intuitive.

I have your last push, and I can see that in BE testing mode characters still have 100 evasion and resistance.

Yeah, func is not used there. I'll adjust it.
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #8016 on: August 11, 2016, 01:40:45 PM »
There is no visible difference between anchor (1.0, 1.0) and (.0, .0). I also don't see examples of using anchors with that kind of animation in BE, so my guess is it's not supported.

Might be simpler to webm them using adobe soft, that was very simple and intuitive.
I recall problems with alpha masks you did not solved... Far from intuitive and simple.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2016, 02:03:23 PM by DarkTl »

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8017 on: August 11, 2016, 02:06:53 PM »
There is no visible difference between anchor (1.0, 1.0) and (.0, .0). I also don't see examples of using anchors with that kind of animation in BE, so my guess is it's not supported.

Yeah... anchor assumes some container to anchor... like a Fixed that is the size of the largest frame of the animation. We don't do those calculations because even that is not always what is required. I looked over those animations once, there doesn't seem to be a clear pattern, it's like they are aligning those animation one by one manually.
Like what we're doing?

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8018 on: August 11, 2016, 02:09:24 PM »
I recall problems with alpha masks you did not solved... Far from intuitive and simple.

Really? I thought I got it working perfectly in the end? It was a while back thought... Did I post it or not?
Like what we're doing?

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8019 on: August 11, 2016, 02:31:33 PM »
Yeah, AE was the right soft for it after I tried a lot of other crap.

http://www.pinkpetal.org/index.php?topic=1291.msg39467#msg39467

The trouble is that at Edit #19324 I deleted the instructions... could have sworn that I posted them! Maybe it was somewhere else :(

Edit: I'll take it back, it's not very intuitive because I don't remember half of what I did... still got the projects thought (both magical book that I used to practice and the might of zeus animation that I put into the game) so I can figure it out. Not now anyway...
« Last Edit: August 11, 2016, 03:48:53 PM by Xela »
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #8020 on: August 11, 2016, 04:00:20 PM »
Xela, add tooltips for non magic attacks inside BE. They all have cost and description after all.

I figured webms more or less, pushed proper soul blade skill.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2016, 04:04:36 PM by DarkTl »

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8021 on: August 11, 2016, 04:27:59 PM »
Xela, add tooltips for non magic attacks inside BE. They all have cost and description after all.

It used to be simpler :)

Edit: And it's done.

I figured webms more or less, pushed proper soul blade skill.

Looks great!
« Last Edit: August 11, 2016, 05:07:24 PM by Xela »
Like what we're doing?

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8022 on: August 11, 2016, 05:22:01 PM »
I mean spells like fireball, the shield begins to work immediately, not when the fire ball comes into contact with the target. Not a big deal, of course.

I can fix this... gonna try it right after I am done with a new set of multi attacks for sword.
Like what we're doing?

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8023 on: August 11, 2016, 05:30:04 PM »

I need to write better AI and recursion prevention of some kind. Right now automatic combat assumes that there is at least one attack that is absolutely free so battle will end at some point... even if it takes 10 000 hits. The way you're using vitality, auto-combat will go into an infinite recursions loop if everyone runs out of MP and VP before one of the parties runs out of HP.

Never dealt with this issue before so I am not really sure how to proceed here without adding too much overhead...
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #8024 on: August 11, 2016, 05:50:51 PM »
I thought about adding waiting option that restores vitality.