Author Topic: General Discussion  (Read 3821643 times)

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
  • "It's like hunting cows"
Re: General Discussion
« Reply #8055 on: August 13, 2016, 01:58:26 PM »
Abobe After Effects. I need to see if I still have working ffmpeg somewhere.
Like what we're doing?

Offline lamoli

« Reply #8056 on: August 13, 2016, 02:11:30 PM »
i found out what was the problem.. it was frame rate lol.. Can AE make webm with transparent BG like FFmpeg does ?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #8057 on: August 13, 2016, 02:34:41 PM »
I use After Effects to create animation from png sprites, then send it to Media Encoder, which with webm plugin capable to render webms (After Effects alone cannot create webms).

For transparency we use masks created in the same way. You probably need them too. I mean, this is animation, and this is transparency mask.

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #8058 on: August 13, 2016, 02:45:22 PM »
Although, since you create it differently, I'm not sure you need alpha masks. You could upload an example of webm, and we'll check it inside the game to make sure.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8059 on: August 13, 2016, 02:56:26 PM »
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/43556362/ffmpeg.rar

This is what I used but it's the default version.
Like what we're doing?

Offline lamoli

« Reply #8060 on: August 13, 2016, 04:08:53 PM »
I might be able to do it with AE if when you chose output format (quicktime) and if there is channel RGBA option ( RGB only doesn't give transparency ) then i can ffmpeg encode the mov into webm

If you have AE can you check that out ?

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8061 on: August 13, 2016, 04:17:00 PM »
I use After Effects to create animation from png sprites, then send it to Media Encoder, which with webm plugin capable to render webms (After Effects alone cannot create webms).

For transparency we use masks created in the same way. You probably need them too. I mean, this is animation, and this is transparency mask.

This is the way to do it... you can make a plain movie and than, if you want transparency, add a mask by messing with channels (set red to alpha if I remember correctly).
Like what we're doing?

Offline lamoli

« Reply #8062 on: August 13, 2016, 04:33:53 PM »
the problem with that solution is you have edges problems.. and it will ruin my work :p

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #8063 on: August 13, 2016, 04:45:06 PM »
No, you set all three colors to alpha, and do nothing with alpha itself.

There is RGBA option and quicktime format, yeah.

In theory mask is not needed since webms should support alpha. But my animations still have black background without masks ingame even with alpha enabled, so I suppose renpy itself wants the mask webm no matter what.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8064 on: August 13, 2016, 05:04:14 PM »
In theory mask is not needed since webms should support alpha. But my animations still have black background without masks ingame even with alpha enabled, so I suppose renpy itself wants the mask webm no matter what.

That's sort of a half truth... webm's do "kind of" support alpha channel but it's a bit of a late-addon hack and while it was supposed to be safe and not mess with the format, a lot of player break when such a video is played. There is a support for it on Chrome browsers, but it doesn't seem to be gaining much attention from developers.

When I was looking into it, what they did in Ren'Py is actually considered a very decent solution. Although, to be perfectly honest, ,gif support might have been more welcome, even if it is an outdated format... I mean, they are trying to kill (unrelated) Flash for like a decade and still sh!tloads of games/players/content are made with it, when something got into the mainstream, getting it out to make a way for something new is not easy.
Like what we're doing?

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8065 on: August 13, 2016, 05:04:52 PM »
the problem with that solution is you have edges problems.. and it will ruin my work :p

What edges problems? Everything should work just fine...
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #8066 on: August 13, 2016, 06:10:04 PM »
I recall PyTom saying gifs and apngs are not supported by used libraries too, so it would require additional coding.

I'd welcome more webm options instead. Such as color filters or full control over playing speed and direction.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8067 on: August 13, 2016, 06:13:15 PM »
I am calling it a night, just went over the BE logical effects code. It's not too bad but structuring it more appropriately might be a thing (to make it simpler to use with all the extra logic we want).
Like what we're doing?

Offline lamoli

« Reply #8068 on: August 14, 2016, 05:24:10 AM »
What edges problems? Everything should work just fine...

Problems with high resolution masks ( some pixels on the edge wont match when you put the transparent image on top ) i had that problem with equipment doll tryouts for the transparent clothing layer..

Then again you would have to really check the picture really close to see the errors ( i just dont like to have to improve on it later if there is a solution now )

For FFmpeg i got the right .mov or .png files with yuva so can make or break the mov and transparency works.. i also have the right command line and desired out result in cmd window confirming it should be working but the problem is the libvpx vp8 lib file who isnt working as those compiled verssions are messed up by ppl who contribute on github.. i tried all the windows package i could find.. yours included but non got the right library lol

Edit:
Oh no.. looks like its even worse lol.. maybe my webm files works alright.. i just cant decode it like chrome can so when i output as usual i have black BG
« Last Edit: August 14, 2016, 05:45:13 AM by lamoli »

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8069 on: August 14, 2016, 05:31:30 AM »
I don't know... it just worked for me right of the bat, I still have the webm movies made with it. You can just upload the png sequence and Dark (who messed with this like yesterday, or I after a review of my projects in AE) can make the required animations.

=======>>>
@Dark:

Don't mess with core.rpy for a while, I am going to make some structural changes there which could make conflicts too difficult to resolve. It is perfectly safe to make new skills and stuff. It'll take a while, I can't come up with a good code setup (yet).
« Last Edit: August 14, 2016, 05:38:10 AM by Xela »
Like what we're doing?