devolution

Author Topic: General Discussion  (Read 3821832 times)

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
  • "It's like hunting cows"
Re: General Discussion
« Reply #8430 on: September 12, 2016, 12:45:12 PM »
Doesn't HitlerKaputt randomly send pieces to fly?

Yeap. It crops a displayable and sends the bits flying. I've written like 5 or 6 versions of the class for different games/purposes so i don't even remember which one we're using. There is usually some form of corrective algorithm making sure it looks decent cause simply setting directions doesn't look very good.
Like what we're doing?

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8431 on: September 12, 2016, 12:56:50 PM »
Doesn't HitlerKaputt randomly send pieces to fly?

I just figured out where you're going with this. That class is not very useful for the task because it's written to crop into equal bits, divide those bits into sectors along x, y axis and send them flying accordingly. If I recall correctly, there is some form of a corrective algorithm in place to make sure that the bits that make up the axis themselves which are also being cropped out to fly away using special settings because they would also fly in straight lines under default once.

===>>
Basically, it's not useful for a scenario where we use masks to create a number of images from a single sprite and send those flying.
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #8432 on: September 13, 2016, 12:48:01 AM »
Ideally we'll need static or animated textures for damage effects, like iced, for all elements. It's just not easy to find decent ones.

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #8434 on: September 13, 2016, 04:28:43 AM »
I have a small problem with P2P_Skill. It appears that there is no way to use projectile_effects without main_effect and still make animation work. But I don't need main_effect sometimes, all I need is projectile and target_sprite_damage_effect. Without main_effect P2P_Skill just plays nothing at all.

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #8435 on: September 13, 2016, 06:05:22 AM »
I don't remember if animated was simple or not in this case. Static just needs pics:
Nah, it needs more attention than grabbing a random low quality picture from google. It's not a priority anyhow, even for version>1, but it will look good if done properly.
For example, multiple animated water drops after water attacks without replacing the whole target texture https://mrbubblewand.files.wordpress.com/2009/10/water_003.png

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8436 on: September 13, 2016, 07:00:51 AM »
I have a small problem with P2P_Skill. It appears that there is no way to use projectile_effects without main_effect and still make animation work. But I don't need main_effect sometimes, all I need is projectile and target_sprite_damage_effect. Without main_effect P2P_Skill just plays nothing at all.

Maybe it assumed that there always should be some main effect, what happens if you just set super low duration for it?
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #8437 on: September 13, 2016, 07:58:03 AM »
Yeap, super low duration and simple picture as gfx helped.

We definitely will need conditions for weapons skills after beta. Maybe level and stats. Without it they are kinda insipid.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8438 on: September 13, 2016, 08:04:57 AM »
Yeap, super low duration and simple picture as gfx helped.

We definitely will need conditions for weapons skills after beta. Maybe level and stats. Without it they are kinda insipid.

We can add them before beta, it's very east in code, more timeconsuming adding conditions to every attack...

Put Null() as a dummy image, means empty render.
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #8439 on: September 13, 2016, 08:33:56 AM »
I wonder if it's possible to loop sounds in BE. An easy way to make both simple and advanced versions of a skill is to loop webm and show it 2-3 times, but it requires sound editing. Which is not a problem, but it increases the game size, so if we can avoid it, it would be cool.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8440 on: September 13, 2016, 08:43:08 AM »
I wonder if it's possible to loop sounds in BE. An easy way to make both simple and advanced versions of a skill is to loop webm and show it 2-3 times, but it requires sound editing. Which is not a problem, but it increases the game size, so if we can avoid it, it would be cool.

MultiStrike loops sounds, even plays them simultaneously if needs be. You need other classes to do the same?
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #8441 on: September 13, 2016, 09:51:25 AM »
MultiStrike is fine, but I don't understand how to control overlapping (due to usual lack of comments  :) ).

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8442 on: September 13, 2016, 10:06:31 AM »
MultiStrike is fine, but I don't understand how to control overlapping (due to usual lack of comments  :) ).

You can't... it's just played one every new attack sequence which starts at random between whatever you put as interval and half of that number.
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #8443 on: September 13, 2016, 10:13:10 AM »
Ohhkey, if duration is pretty much random, then what duration field does there?

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8444 on: September 13, 2016, 10:48:22 AM »
Ohhkey, if duration is pretty much random, then what duration field does there?

Unfinished code on my part... That "duration" I've used as a "guess" of how long animation might take, it worked fairly well so I never have. Current setup is this:

Skill class(es) ==> UDD class ==> ATL function

ideally, I should have created a preset of fixed random timing for the whole sequence at step one and fed them into UDD. But it was faster both to write the code and to test it if done directly at step 2 (UDD). So after done with all the testing, the idea was to change the order and do just that but I never got around to that + as I've said, it worked reasonably well.
Like what we're doing?