devolution

Author Topic: General Discussion  (Read 3821685 times)

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
  • "It's like hunting cows"
Re: General Discussion
« Reply #8835 on: November 04, 2016, 06:52:02 PM »
I need to know how to set base classes for MC, since they are more than just traits. At first I tried the "classes" at the setup screen, but it brought nothing but CTDs.

Finished one warrior branch at the setup screen, it's pretty fun  :)

Oki, I am falling asleep... Assuming that I don't get into insomnia phase, I'll take a look at it tomorrow.
Like what we're doing?

Offline picobyte

« Reply #8836 on: November 04, 2016, 08:33:29 PM »
This is our default testing file, which Xela updates every time something is changed to make sure the game can work in the dev mode despite having unfinished parts here and there.

Ha, and better not break it! My adverts change just did that and more :-/ hopefully I did a better job this time. Found the invite and just pushed. It should restore the adverts for the buildings, and the linesep issue.

BTW Maybe you like the long line in testing.rpy better written as:

Code: [Select]
testBuilding.add_adverts(filter(lambda a: a['name'] in ["Sign", "Flyers", "Magazine", "Billboard", "Girl", "Celebrity"], adverts))

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #8837 on: November 05, 2016, 01:01:44 PM »
BE is in a pretty good condition, it won't be hard to make warriors/mages MC setups. Same for interaction-based setups.

The jobs, however, is something I cannot hack on my own, at least in their current condition. I simply don't see a place where those bonuses should go in the code.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8838 on: November 05, 2016, 01:13:02 PM »
BE is in a pretty good condition, it won't be hard to make warriors/mages MC setups. Same for interaction-based setups.

Skills still feel pretty unbalanced and I don't think that all tiered spells are at the same level of power.

The jobs, however, is something I cannot hack on my own, at least in their current condition. I simply don't see a place where those bonuses should go in the code.

Since we're not allowing MC to work normal jobs yet, manager is the only relevant position and code for that is not ready. Those MC variations would have to wait till it is.
Like what we're doing?

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8839 on: November 05, 2016, 01:16:17 PM »
testBuilding.add_adverts(filter(lambda a: a['name'] in ["Sign", "Flyers", "Magazine", "Billboard", "Girl", "Celebrity"], adverts))

testBuilding.add_adverts([a for a in adverts if a['name'] in ["Sign", "Flyers", "Magazine", "Billboard", "Girl", "Celebrity"]])
Wouldn't make it any shorter :)
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #8840 on: November 05, 2016, 01:26:24 PM »
And I still wonder how to set base classes in the setup menu.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8841 on: November 05, 2016, 01:42:19 PM »
I need to know how to set base classes for MC, since they are more than just traits. At first I tried the "classes" at the setup screen, but it brought nothing but CTDs.

And I still wonder how to set base classes in the setup menu.

Actually classes work... you can bind them to setups. Why/How did you get CTD? The system needs to get more flexible though, right now we sort of shove two classes down the MCs throat, there should be an option for just one.
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #8842 on: November 05, 2016, 02:09:23 PM »
As far as I understand, the system forces me to give classes exactly where it wants it (not gonna happen, different setups require different approach).
« Last Edit: November 05, 2016, 02:11:34 PM by DarkTl »

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8843 on: November 05, 2016, 02:15:53 PM »
As far as I understand, the system forces me to give classes exactly where it wants it (not gonna happen, different setups require different approach).

It is setup to add one class when you choose each of the main branches. Do you want to be able to set it using subbranches?
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #8844 on: November 05, 2016, 02:17:40 PM »
Of course. Not to mention the support for a single class.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8845 on: November 05, 2016, 02:30:56 PM »
Of course. Not to mention the support for a single class.

Oki, I'll try to set it up tonight.
Like what we're doing?

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8846 on: November 05, 2016, 03:07:13 PM »
Right.. it might work now!

You can setup class under main branches and under subbranches with the class under sub always being prioritized. Old code also allowed for a single class setups, you just had to pick the same class twice. Same thing will work now, you can not specify a class in which case it will be None or specify the same class twice in which case it will be applied only once.

Also, you can NEVER pick two classes from the same branch-tree! It simply will not work.

Also :D Do not take the suggested farther/mother/parents/mc order as dogma, I want to allow any deviations from that design as long as descriptions/headers support it.

+ we need testing, it seems to work but you never know when a ctd will creep up on your with datastructure this branched out.

For some reason highlighting and sepia mask is fucked on mc tree, gonna look into that before I call it a night.
Like what we're doing?

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8847 on: November 05, 2016, 03:11:09 PM »
And may I suggest to always set a default for at least one of the tree branches, cause in an off chance that you don't and forget to cover every sub, you'll get a very weak mc without a baseclass.
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #8848 on: November 05, 2016, 03:23:58 PM »
Setting a mother is good way to give something unique to MC and explain it well, and also to show a cool girl picture in the process. And we lose nothing by using father's backstory as a reason for MC's first base class. When you select the father's story, ie assassin, it also should give this class to MC.

I especially dislike how the last setup choice only gives a minor item in the caravan story, it is next to useless. While I give unique (really unique) traits depending on mother race  :)
« Last Edit: November 05, 2016, 03:35:58 PM by DarkTl »

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8849 on: November 05, 2016, 04:41:56 PM »
I especially dislike how the last setup choice only gives a minor item in the caravan story, it is next to useless. While I give unique (really unique) traits depending on mother race  :)

Yeap, that is a nice touch. We can make stuff like that really meaningful, like adding a Casanova/Romeo baseclasses with disposition bonuses or Fire Mage with unique spell unavailable anywhere else. That item you do not like, we can make something that grows in power with MCs level (for BE only, cause it's simple to setup there).

Told you we could make this work, I am looking forward to setup a couple of cases myself as well :D In either case, screen is updated and works much sensible now.

I'll have very little dev time in the upcoming few weeks but it should get much better thereafter. I'll resume serious coding then, for now it'll just have to be small peripheral fixes/refactoring.
Like what we're doing?