Author Topic: General Discussion  (Read 3821838 times)

Offline DarkTl

Re: General Discussion
« Reply #8880 on: November 08, 2016, 04:51:41 AM »
What will happen if somehow someone will get two traits with the same effect but different power of effect? For traits-based effects such collisions can be resolved easily, even with additional logic when needed.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
  • "It's like hunting cows"
« Reply #8881 on: November 08, 2016, 05:14:01 AM »
They would be overwritten, that's why I told you to make unique effects for every trait and I recall as discussing that it needs to be kept this way when as we added effects to the game.

I am simply not as strong of a proponent of "perfect" logic as I was in the past. It's not something 90% of players would notice and it usually requires a lot of layered, forked and annoying code. So it's up to you... I can add dicts to overwrite the same effect with different power or unique effects which would be safer.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2016, 05:16:36 AM by Xela »
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #8882 on: November 08, 2016, 05:30:59 AM »
Text fields at the mc setup screen don't have scrolling. It especially affects the right field which shows text for two choices at the same time. As a result, more or less big texts cannot fit in.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8883 on: November 08, 2016, 06:57:47 AM »
Text fields at the mc setup screen don't have scrolling. It especially affects the right field which shows text for two choices at the same time. As a result, more or less big texts cannot fit in.

Actually that was discussed and we decided to remove scrolling from there in favor of shorter text cause it looked shitty and broke a decent design. That was also where labels came from, you can unfold story lines, explanations, awards and etc. in there while providing only the most basic info in the textboxes.
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #8884 on: November 08, 2016, 07:23:03 AM »
There is plenty of unused space at the setup screen. The whole right part can be much higher, and the left text filed can be higher too.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8885 on: November 08, 2016, 07:33:38 AM »
There is plenty of unused space at the setup screen. The whole right part can be much higher, and the left text filed can be higher too.

But it looks so good! :D

Gonna try to move the left frame higher but the idea was to leave the screen as it is.
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #8886 on: November 08, 2016, 10:12:32 AM »
Actually that was discussed and we decided to remove scrolling from there in favor of shorter text cause it looked shitty and broke a decent design. That was also where labels came from, you can unfold story lines, explanations, awards and etc. in there while providing only the most basic info in the textboxes.
How do you propose to do it exactly with the help of labels? Every time player clicks on icon we interrupt the whole mc setup to show text related to that icon? If yes, then it's a terrible design.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8887 on: November 08, 2016, 10:25:55 AM »
How do you propose to do it exactly with the help of labels? Every time player clicks on icon we interrupt the whole mc setup to show text related to that icon? If yes, then it's a terrible design.

As I wrote in the post, you provide summarized, short bit of info in the screens itself. After player is done with the choices and clicks stats, if labels are provided, you can add entire unfolded stories/explanations there.
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #8888 on: November 08, 2016, 10:28:55 AM »
Ah, you mean after the game was started already. That's kinda late, but ok, you always can start the game anew.

Offline picobyte

« Reply #8889 on: November 08, 2016, 07:02:48 PM »
I'm 100% sure that we don't have spells like "Fire 1", "Fire 2", "Fire 3" in the assets rpy. Those are remainings of very old version of BE in some old parts of the code like arena, which will be rewritten. All real, existing spells are only in be/assets.rpy.

The schema reflected only the spells found in json files, for the fields I referenced as Magic. Some were incorrect and some item locations were incorrect. They will probably appear in the shops now.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8890 on: November 10, 2016, 05:12:33 AM »
Damn that SE code is rough... I am trying to ease back into it in order to wrap up the main loops/methods. After that the plan is to start coding Tier modules and figure out which control variable we can centralize on building or even game basis and which we have to bind to businesses themselves. Some info we can/will have to retrieve from chars obviously. I only have a vague concept in my head at the moment on how to put all of that together so if you got any ideas, I am open to suggestions. I recon that we have a week to discuss before we'll have commit to some specific code/logic setup.
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #8891 on: November 10, 2016, 07:01:05 AM »
Let's see... Things that tiers could control:
- base wages. Irl your position is clearly visible, unlike hypothetical list of stats, and wage is based on it before everything else.

- max money income for jobs which have income. Even if you are skilled, low position can prevent you from using skills to the fullest. Perhaps with diminished returns, ie at some point increasing skills/stats becomes almost unnoticeable in terms of income until you raise the tier.

- clients "tiers" can be tied to chars tiers. Elite clients would like to be served by elite workers, and will be unhappy and leave otherwise.

- for warriors it becomes complicated because they don't generate income directly. It could affect available arena events and SE areas, you need high tier warriors to have access.

- equipable items and spells might have min_tier field required to equip/use them. This is especially true for weapons and spells, you can't just equip them and wear like some dress, you should know how to use them properly.

- skills can be limited by tiers directly, and become unlimited only at the highest tier.

Before we continue, are you going to use tiers for buildings/businesses? Or only for chars?
Because businesses can have tiers depending on average tier of used chars. And higher tiers attract better customers.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8892 on: November 10, 2016, 08:26:34 AM »
Let's see... Things that tiers could control:
- base wages. Irl your position is clearly visible, unlike hypothetical list of stats, and wage is based on it before everything else.

- max money income for jobs which have income. Even if you are skilled, low position can prevent you from using skills to the fullest. Perhaps with diminished returns, ie at some point increasing skills/stats becomes almost unnoticeable in terms of income until you raise the tier.

Yeap, wages will be easy to figure out that way. Max money I am not sure about, I'd rather do something like a fixed price (adjustable by player) for services. It will be the minimum client is expected to pay. Traits/Teirs/Other stuff may push that price above what you set it to but if client is not willing to pay over it, manager can decide if the worker got to do it or not based on internal code.

- clients "tiers" can be tied to chars tiers. Elite clients would like to be served by elite workers, and will be unhappy and leave otherwise.

- for warriors it becomes complicated because they don't generate income directly. It could affect available arena events and SE areas, you need high tier warriors to have access.

- equipable items and spells might have min_tier field required to equip/use them. This is especially true for weapons and spells, you can't just equip them and wear like some dress, you should know how to use them properly.

- skills can be limited by tiers directly, and become unlimited only at the highest tier.

Warriors don't need Tiers calculations for jobs that deal with clients. Service workers that deal with cleaning don't need them either.

Items thing I do not like. It would be more prudent to bind items to baseclass generalizations and/or level and/or stats/skills. But we could do Tiers as well I guess. But honestly, we already have max system that limits item usefulness. We'd be doubling the effort and complicating the code even further. And yes, that system is not perfect but no system is...

Before we continue, are you going to use tiers for buildings/businesses? Or only for chars?
Because businesses can have tiers depending on average tier of used chars. And higher tiers attract better customers.

I want tiers to be separate object that we bind to businesses, characters and clients alike. Same 6 to 0 object, depending on how much we decide that we need.

Business with tier3 will attract customers with tier3-4 and require girls of tiers 3-n... to work there. If you put weaker chars, customers will be unhappy even if the stats match. We will not relay that data directly but obscure it with something like: Client expected better service.

bb in 2 - 3 hours...
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #8893 on: November 10, 2016, 09:33:53 AM »
Warriors probably could use their own tiers of some kind for SE, but it can be a part of SE itself.

Slaves tiers can be limited. If max tier is 10, they could have only 3-5.

Backgrounds for characters interactions will be based on their tiers. We have multiple rooms bgs from cheap to expensive, because I planned it for a long time  :)

There should be requirements of some kind for hiring high tiers. Maybe hero level, or fame, or high disposition.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8894 on: November 10, 2016, 12:34:03 PM »
Warriors probably could use their own tiers of some kind for SE, but it can be a part of SE itself.

I do not (yet) see how this can benefit us from coding/balancing perspective. But we don't even have as much a working simpy loop for SE yet...

Slaves tiers can be limited. If max tier is 10, they could have only 3-5.

Yeah, we talked about something like this in the past, when we had "Ranks". This is a brilliant idea and a nice touch, so we're on the same page here.

Backgrounds for characters interactions will be based on their tiers. We have multiple rooms bgs from cheap to expensive, because I planned it for a long time  :)

Awesome!

There should be requirements of some kind for hiring high tiers. Maybe hero level, or fame, or high disposition.

I believe it should be just the money. Or money and reputation (or flags).

Ok... businesses/jobs are in a sorry shape atm. It's very difficult to maintain and to code for, it is due to older buildings/jobs code which more gets in a way of simpy that helps it, but rewriting so much logic is not something that we can afford atm. Tiers will help a bit but they will not fix it. We'll have to refactor code bit by bit.
Like what we're doing?