Author Topic: General Discussion  (Read 3821602 times)

Offline DarkTl

Re: General Discussion
« Reply #9375 on: January 23, 2017, 01:10:30 PM »
Yes, I moved it to her folder.

I am sure that we can setup Naruto quests, matrix and SE exactly like we want it.
Initially I made matrix based on houses on the background. So if you want to find a character, you should enter matrix mode and find her house there.

It looks neat. But it leads to a shit-ton of checks for every character even before we begin to check whether character exists in the game or not. Not to mention that none of them can be the main quest giver, since anyone may not exist in the game.

So I used another system which you added even before the matrix. With specific settings GMs in location contain only characters whose location field == location name. The idea is to add characters to village as you locate them inside SE. Of course we need SE for a start, but after that we just can easily change their location any time, adding them to GMs.

I have troubles with screen show_trait_info - it shows info once you click on any character trait/hero trait/main trait icon in character profile. The closing button, cross, creates a noticeable gap on the top of the window. I dunno how to deal with it.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
  • "It's like hunting cows"
« Reply #9376 on: January 23, 2017, 01:21:58 PM »
Yes, I moved it to her folder.
Initially I made matrix based on houses on the background. So if you want to find a character, you should enter matrix mode and find her house there.

It looks neat. But it leads to a shit-ton of checks for every character even before we begin to check whether character exists in the game or not. Not to mention that none of them can be the main quest giver, since anyone may not exist in the game.

So I used another system which you added even before the matrix. With specific settings GMs in location contain only characters whose location field == location name. The idea is to add characters to village as you locate them inside SE. Of course we need SE for a start, but after that we just can easily change their location any time, adding them to GMs.

I am still thinking that it should be doable but it's hard to me to follow as I am not familiar with how Naruto quest chain is setup.

I have troubles with screen show_trait_info - it shows info once you click on any character trait/hero trait/main trait icon in character profile. The closing button, cross, creates a noticeable gap on the top of the window. I dunno how to deal with it.

Got two more bugs to clear (3 are squashed), gonna take a look at this after that's done.
Like what we're doing?

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9377 on: January 23, 2017, 02:14:17 PM »

I wrote bit of a hack, you focus on xsize for most displayable in that screen so Ren'Py has a bit of a hard time to calc the ysize. I recon this is sort of a bug cause it does draw the screen correctly but is not capable of positioning it accordingly.
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #9378 on: January 24, 2017, 03:06:07 PM »
When you bother a hired free character and she refuses to talk to you eventually, you got
Code: [Select]
  File "game/library/screens/character_profile.rpy", line 14, in script
    if isinstance(result, (list, tuple)):
  File "game/library/screens/character_profile.rpy", line 14, in <module>
NameError: name 'result' is not defined
You wrote this code, not me, so I'm not sure what's wrong.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9379 on: January 25, 2017, 04:17:29 AM »
Looks like a bit of an impossible error... seeing how result is defined one statement above in code. I'll try to get this error myself.
Like what we're doing?

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9380 on: January 25, 2017, 04:23:32 AM »
When you bother a hired free character and she refuses to talk to you eventually, you got
Code: [Select]
  File "game/library/screens/character_profile.rpy", line 14, in script
  File "game/library/screens/character_profile.rpy", line 14, in <module>
NameError: name 'result' is not defined
You wrote this code, not me, so I'm not sure what's wrong.

You need to be a bit more precise on what to do to get this crash, I keep bugging them till they start a fight and still nothing happens.
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #9381 on: January 25, 2017, 12:55:14 PM »
I figured it out. I also use result variable in some interactions to calculate outcome, and after using delete it. So under certain conditions the game is left without result variable at all.

Yeap, we definitely will have to thoughtfully update interactions and their code right after releasing beta.

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #9382 on: January 25, 2017, 01:28:29 PM »
On sidenote, timings for some skills are off, it's ok for the most part but we'll have to take another look at skills after the beta.
I looked though BE skills today for the last time before beta.
If you mean cases when damage effect starts earlier or ends later than spell animation itself, it's most likely because I think it will look better this way. While of course there could be a few overlooked errors, not all such cases are errors.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9383 on: January 25, 2017, 02:51:49 PM »
Oki, I noticed some timing were off, but nothing really stood out as "broken".
Like what we're doing?

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9384 on: January 26, 2017, 03:27:42 AM »
I figured it out. I also use result variable in some interactions to calculate outcome, and after using delete it. So under certain conditions the game is left without result variable at all.

Yeap, we definitely will have to thoughtfully update interactions and their code right after releasing beta.

This "no more deleting result to prevent ctds in gui" may be a rather nasty bug in Ren'Py... Nothing is happening between statements where the result is set and where it's checked for. Just something to keep in the back of our heads.
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #9385 on: January 26, 2017, 06:07:32 AM »
It also wasn't easy to reproduce. You had to use intimacy interactions one by one on a character with ~200 starting disposition - that's the stating bonus from one of traits - until you reach kiss. This disposition is not high enough for intimacy, yet not low enough to immediately trigger blowoff flag.
Kiss triggered _day_countdown_interactions_blowoff flag, and after trying to talk to the character again the game showed you refusing screen, returned you to character profile and gave the error.
Meanwhile simply using kiss from the beginning didn't cause the error.

I have no idea why is it so complicated, perhaps interactions themselves are bugged since they use very old code. But since renpy wants its result variable so badly, it can have it for now  :)

« Last Edit: January 26, 2017, 06:09:24 AM by DarkTl »

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9386 on: January 26, 2017, 06:52:57 AM »
Maybe the error is misreported and caused by something else... There will be a rewrite of interactions module but I recon the idea behind it will remain the same, so it will release control of the game flow just like it does now.
Like what we're doing?

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #9387 on: January 26, 2017, 08:28:39 AM »
Deleting all results deletions fixed the error though, before this sequencing guaranteed the error.

Maybe it's a coincidence, but I also updated renpy to 6.99.12.2.2029 the day before yesterday. Changelog suggests namespaces were updated, so they might be updated with errors.

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #9388 on: January 29, 2017, 08:30:32 AM »
There is a turn-based BE in Babe Runner? The same as ours?

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9389 on: January 29, 2017, 09:19:54 AM »
There is a turn-based BE in Babe Runner? The same as ours?

There will be a stripped down version with simpler damage calc and animated sprites.
Like what we're doing?