Author Topic: Thoughts on stats  (Read 4831 times)

Offline kaneage

Thoughts on stats
« on: October 18, 2010, 01:58:33 PM »
when playing WM i noticed as most of you have that girls start off unique and different but over time they become maxed out and thus the same statistically speaking.  after ~100 turns any girl if worked consistently will have 100% stats in everything.  when girls have 100% stats alot of game features become irrelevant. items and traits that add stats are meaningless and fetishes dont matter anymore because any sex act she does will earn you 100g.  the girls lose personality and uniqueness.

My idea is to add a soft cap of sexual stats at 50%.  this means at 50% sex acts (from brothel or player initiated) no longer give any % points.  The way to increase the cap is training. currently i never train girls because its not necessary. as i said before after 100 or so turns of work she will be maxed. this would make training useful again i think.  also items will be able to push the cap higher.  the item will allow you to skip training to get a stat to 100 but items usually only affect 1 stat so training would still be needed to increase to other sex stats. the last way i see to increase the cap is traits.  nymphomaniac trait can increase the cap of all sex stats by 10% and great arse can increase anal by 20%.  by doing this i think the girls stats will all be varied much longer into the game. you can still max out each girls stats but it would take effort on the players part to do so unlike our current system where it just happens automatically over time.

Offline necno

• Core Developer
Re: Thoughts on stats
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2010, 05:18:54 PM »
Hmm I definitely like this idea. If fact I would take one more step of having each character have their own Min and Max stats for each statistic. That way each girl is different even when maxed and each girl has their own weaknesses and strengths. Sadly this would require all current mods to be updated so it won't be implemented, although I could write a program to automatically update mod files based on their starting stats as a representation of their min/max stats. Hmmmm I will definitely consider this.

Something else I would Like to change is traits, I think there should be both bad and good traits and the character editor should have points available to spend on traits (say 5). Assigning a bad trait gives you a point (so it would go to 6), giving a good trait will decrease a point (so after giving one bad trait you could give 6 good traits). That way the girls will be much more balanced.

Another thing I was thinking of and that I've done with Birthright is forcing random traits. You can select how many traits you want at the start of the game with a minimum of 1. But you have a larger chance of getting bad traits the more you increase this number. It probably wouldn't work with whoremaster though as it has girls from TV shows and such which may get assigned traits that have nothing to do with their character. But the point system is a good way of handling that.

Regardless of all this I have these kinds of ideas kept in a design document for a possible sequel. As it would require a complete rewrite of code for some of the neater ideas to be implemented. Plus with a new program I don't have to worry about previous file incompatibilities. Not to mention I could write a converter program to convert old girl files to a newer format.
Click here to donate
After you do so please pm me the email address you used so I can add you to the donation forum.

Working on:
Whoremaster II (Official)
Birthright (Now a commercial rougelike)

Offline DocClox

• Dev Team
  • Messing Around With Python
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2010, 07:38:10 PM »
Hmm I definitely like this idea. If fact I would take one more step of having each character have their own Min and Max stats for each statistic. That way each girl is different even when maxed and each girl has their own weaknesses and strengths. Sadly this would require all current mods to be updated so it won't be implemented, although I could write a program to automatically update mod files based on their starting stats as a representation of their min/max stats. Hmmmm I will definitely consider this.

Yeah, I nearly did this a couple of times. It would give us and excuse to combine all of the stat arrays into one array of objects too, which would clean up a lot of code.

Another fun thing to do would be to give a girl aptitudes with various skills and stats. So (assuming a range of 1-4) aptitude 4 would pay normal price for skills and stats (and for increases) aptitude 3 would pay x2 cost, aptitude 2 would pay x3 and patitude 1 would pay four times the cost. Not sure how you'd balance that into a points system for the designer, though.

Offline necno

• Core Developer
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2010, 04:04:35 PM »
Hmmm, I think after birthright is released I will post the entire design document (after formalizing it) for whoremaster 2 and see what people can add to it. That way we won't end up with something becoming messy like the 1st one. Plus with the new GUI engine it will be very easy to edit stuff (cause you can edit the GUI in-game :D).
Click here to donate
After you do so please pm me the email address you used so I can add you to the donation forum.

Working on:

Offline Moonchaos

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2010, 04:58:26 PM »
I dont know how Birthright will use pictures but it would be perfect if it the same as WM or even advanced.
Renaming alle the files take hours xD

i hope you got a better stats/skill system than wm
anyway keep the good work up +1

Offline necno

• Core Developer
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2010, 07:17:21 PM »
Yes, I've been putting a lot more thought into the design. Whoremaster had no design phase, it was just coded as I thought of stuff which while a faster way of doing things the result isn't always as good as it should/could be.
Click here to donate

Working on:

Offline lol_169

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2010, 07:59:20 PM »
Actually I rather dislike the min/max caps differentiated for each girl. Rather, taking the soft caps idea, different soft caps for each girl would be better, or something around there. While each girl is unique, WM is a customizable game, and one girl can be totally changed through the use of items and such; therefore, I believe that each girl should possess the same hard cap- they're all human (except a few), anyways.

Offline trex

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2010, 03:41:16 AM »
On the other hand though, min/max capping makes having more girls more useful, but I'd like to see individual setting of what sexual acts are allowed/disallowed, so you can 'specialize' girls within a single brothel. If it's possible.

Soft caps are good too.

Offline Orden

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2010, 06:37:26 PM »
Putting a soft cap at 50% create another rule and will add complexity.

The problem is not in the stat but rather in the way it increases. If you raise your stat with a fix amount, you will go to 100% very fast.

Here is my idea:
Each time she uses a skills, the girl has a chance to improve it. You cast a 100 dice and you subtract the current skill level to this number. The girl increases this skill only if the result is
positive. Above a given level she can even get 2 or 3 points.

When the skill is low, you have almost 100% chance to improve it quickly. When it's high, the progress are much slower, like in reality.

If you use the training, the trainer skills are used: the best the trainer is, the faster the progresses.

We can also imagine that the skills that have not been used for a while will decrease. If you don't practice, you forget: like in reality. We can add events that lower skills like scars.

Offline Switchblade

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2010, 08:10:56 AM »
Well. That would prevent girls from getting more skilled than you want them... but it wouldn't distinguish girls from one another in the slightest. It'd just take longer for them to all even out.

Offline ShiningRadiance

• I command thee!
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2010, 05:13:39 PM »
Well. That would prevent girls from getting more skilled than you want them... but it wouldn't distinguish girls from one another in the slightest. It'd just take longer for them to all even out.
It WOULD make randoms far more usable, since raising their skills in comparison to uniques... wouldn't be as bad.
Please treat me well even though I don't deserve it.

Offline Orden

• Donator
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2010, 06:45:41 AM »
That is distinguish them are special skills that gives them bonuses. It's like they are 110% or 120% and the girls without the skill cannot do that.

Sure, it does not distinguish them at the end, it just make them slower to go at 100%, she will be tired before and you have better specialize them a bit.

Another idea:
We can do like in Slave Maker 2&3: some activities can diminish stats. If you spend your time exporting the catacombs, you are less charming and you get a charisma malus. Same with cleaning, etc...

But we have to make sure that all these features do not make the game to complex to understand or to hard to raise stats. Some of them are perhaps incompatibles.