devolution

Author Topic: The Game of Coding: Why I update this game  (Read 3644 times)

Offline aevojoey

• Thats ok, I'm used to disappointment.
The Game of Coding: Why I update this game
« on: September 22, 2015, 11:21:29 PM »
A long time ago I added this as my forum signature: "Fixing the game is a better game than actually playing it." I just thought I would expand on this a little.

I think I first found this game years before I started playing it. I may have downloaded it back when the original devs were still actively working on it but I never really bothered to learn how to play it. I probably loaded it once and deleted it.

I found it again in March or April 2014 and actually tried playing it. I found it a little difficult but not bad enough to give up on it again. I went online to see if I could find any documentation for it and found this site. After some searching and reading of what Crazy had been doing with the game, I downloaded the source code for it and tried to see if I could figure out how to fix the problems he was talking about. Having never used C++ it took a few days to find and fix the problem.

On April 23, 2014 I signed up for this site and made my first post basically pointing out the fix I made and then a few more fixes over the next few days. The next month, Crazy gave me access to the source code so I could push fixes myself instead of sending them to him to do. I posted my first version .05I on May 10, 2014 and that was the start of my new game: The Game of Coding.

As the months passed I played the actual game less and less with more time spent on making the game work better and adding new things. As I didn't have a "real job" at the time, I helped out at a friends computer shop for a little money and food (will fix computers for food), I had a lot of time to work on the game. It seemed like I could push out a new version at least once a week and a major version every month or two. It was a good time for this game. When my friend started having money problems at his shop, I needed to get a real job to pay the bills. I started a few months ago and it takes a lot of my time so I have only been able to push out a new version once a month.

The Game of Coding

Quests:
Grand Master Quests:
Update from SDL1.2 to SDL2.0 - failed several times
Add Player Customization - 2% Completed
 - Minimal customization available for players birthday - does nothing yet

Master Quests:
Gif Animation - Completed but with room for improvement

Farming Quests:
Add a Farm - Completed
Add several jobs - Completed but with room for improvement

Current Quests:
Update House Personal Training - 10% Completed
Fixing the game is a better game than actually playing it.
Get the Current Version <|> Discuss the Game <|> Report a bug

Offline aevojoey

Re: The Game of Coding: Why I update this game
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2015, 11:21:46 PM »
Reserved

Offline aevojoey

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2015, 11:21:58 PM »
As is my style, I will probably either forget about this thread or continue adding more to it when I get the time. It is really just a way to get things out of my head so I can get to sleep.

Basically, I get more entertainment out of fixing the game than I do actually playing it. Because I know exactly how most things work in the game, I can easily get a ton of money and girls rather quickly. This kind of make the game less fun for me. When it comes to the code, figuring out how to do something is a lot more challenging.

While I have never really participated in multiplayer games, getting feedback on this game does spur me on to coding more.
What do you think?
« Last Edit: September 22, 2015, 11:31:38 PM by aevojoey »

Offline doubleDolp

• tiger flakes
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2015, 11:47:59 PM »
I think that since you know how the game's code works to such a degree, you can control what goes on better than what you can do in game.
You just gotten so use to programming that any problem that comes up challenges you to fix it like a repairman building a porch area keeping off bugs, birds and hobo's who sleep on the sofa when no one's around.
"TIGER UPPERCUT, TIGER, TIGER, TIGER!"

Offline crazy

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2015, 08:28:14 PM »
Im very thankful you came to help with the mod.  If you hadnt I would probably have stop working on it last year.  I know I dont code much anymore but just dont have the time which Im hoping will change with me getting a new job soon.  That said your coding skills are way beyond mine and I keep hoping you will decide to do some kinda building managment system lol as I have always wanted that and can't code it.  Thanks for the good work and I hope I can get back to do something soon.

Offline Baal

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2015, 01:58:33 AM »
I say, your enjoyment of coding is a great trait. I'm glad I now know of when the new versions come out (once a month) saves me from visiting the site daily. I've been playing this game quite a lot, I probably have hours up in the hundreds now just trying different themes of brothels. It's really great that you enjoy coding, and I wish you the best at whatever happens. Not sure exactly what to say, but I'm quite thankful it's continuing to be worked on and seriously it's one of the best h-games I've played (once I got the characters).
« Last Edit: September 24, 2015, 02:00:18 AM by Baal »

Offline Abtakha

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2015, 12:09:02 PM »
I say that, as not helpful as I usually am (if only for a lack of posting  ::) ) I still enjoy reading stuff like this
There will be exceptions to everything I say, without exception