Author Topic: Site Organization for Each Game  (Read 3690 times)

Offline Monty52

Site Organization for Each Game
« on: March 02, 2016, 11:13:49 PM »
Hi.  I don't know if this has been brought up before... but using a forum structure to manage this sort of project is not the best way.  I notice that a lot of these types of independent games and mod communities use forums like this.  It is hard to follow along and find important information.

Obviously a forum is good for discussion, and possibly for some people to offer links to mods they made... but it's not particularly good for the core game, or to use to store/explain current official information about the game.

I propose that a "wiki" be created for this game somewhere (in addition to this forum, not as a replacement for it).  That is a MUCH better format for some things regarding this game.  It would allow you to easily create different sections for different hierarchies of information in a much more organized fashion.  It's hard enough trying to locate information about stuff like a list/table of the different breast size traits for someone like me who is trying to figure out how the game works and how the editor works, etc... I can only imagine how frustrating it would be for someone who is trying to help the team to program this game to have to use the format of this forum to hunt down info about these sorts of things.  It would work so much better...

Offline Teatime

Re: Site Organization for Each Game
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2016, 08:39:39 AM »
A wiki for the game already exists, but it has only 13 pages and it's rarely maintained, if at all. It mostly provides bare-bones info on the game and the functions, with some nice additional things that may be not very obvious. I don't know how accurate all that data is though, as there is no distinction between the base game and the mods, I'd assume it's all about the base game but I'm not sure.

You could try taking a look at it, judging by the "latest activity" it seems nobody is actually maintaining it. As it is, it's at least useful because it links to the base game and the most played mod in this forum.
The problems would be finding editors, having to make different sections for the base game (which is, without disrespect, rather incomplete and sometimes bugged) and the mods and keep them updated when new content comes out. Personally I find the mod great, but it's a work in progress so it would be harder to keep a wiki updated. The editor is also different and has been updated for the mod.

It's a lot of work, but if you want to try you could start with the already existing one, search "whoremaster wiki", first result.

Offline Monty52

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2016, 05:34:48 PM »
I'm not talking about making the wiki for the base game only.  I'm really talking about making it for the crazy mod.  I'm not proposing that I make it.  No thanks.  I've been in projects like this before and I'm taking a break from this sort of thing.  I'm proposing that the core people working on programming the crazy mod do this.  It would be better for everyone involved if they did.  There would be better organization of all the current data for the game.  There are people here that have spent years working on this, as it's a big project, but they still use this forum to hold data tables and official currently implemented information about the different elements of the game?  I've been following this project on and off for years now, and I just find it hard to believe that it's still being managed in only forum-fashion like this...

I've organized projects at work for groups of people on MS SharePoint sites and a long time ago using MS Access, so I have experience with stuff like this.  Using a forum and threads for that part of the project is a bad way to do it.  It makes more sense to use a wiki-style structured site for that, but have links back to the forum for discussion purposes, or maybe for custom girl packs and the like that non-core people share. 

It would improve things greatly, and I'd be willing to bet that more people would be able to follow along and work to assist in improving the project if they were able to more easily navigate and review the official project information (ex - data table that explains how breast sizes work and the traits associated with them.. etc).
« Last Edit: March 03, 2016, 05:56:44 PM by Monty52 »

Offline Monty52

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2016, 05:52:41 PM »
Also, what's with the FAQ in the Editor?

It would help if that was either removed, up to date, or maybe just referenced this proposed wiki... and then the wiki could have information about how the different functions of the Editor work.

Such a long-time running project needs this sort of thing...

Let me give an example.  Check out this: http://wiki.step-project.com/Main_Page

That is a well-done project page.  Of course, that modding community is much larger than this one, but a much simpler version of something like that would work great.  It's got links to guides (the wiki part), a link to the forums, etc.

Another example: http://wiki.smutosaur.us/Trials_in_Tainted_Space

That one is much simpler and more suitable to this sort of project.

Offline Teatime

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2016, 06:03:06 PM »
Oh, I see. Sorry for the misunderstanding, I thought you meant a wiki made by the players :)

Offline Monty52

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2016, 07:29:10 PM »
Maybe it could have an edit ability that players could use, to point out corrections or revisions to the staff.  Then it would be on the staff to incorporate those edits... I don't know the options out there available on the different wikis.

Offline CaptC

• Are you experienced?
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2016, 01:48:58 PM »
No offense, but he who proposes, disposes. If you don't want to do it, I fail to see why anyone else would feel differently.

Offline I_V_Saur

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2016, 12:43:30 AM »
Editing now.

May need people to help me hunt down specific data, however.