devolution

Author Topic: Temporary item effects  (Read 3383 times)

Offline zodiac44

• Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
Temporary item effects
« on: December 02, 2009, 05:37:07 PM »
How should temporary effects be handled, especially those affecting all girls in the brothel?

Currently, temp effects have a fixed duration (unknown to me) and are permitted to have the same effects as permanent items, some of which don't make much sense for temporary effects (slave and pregnant status; one-eye, MILF, incest, and daughter traits; health stat off the top of my head).  The "all girl" effects currently don't work at all, though Doc Clox is going to try getting them working.

Should temp effects have a fixed duration?  Should it be random?  Should it be something designed into the item?

For the "all girl" effects, should they affect all girls in the same brothel or all girls in all brothels and the dungeon?  Should they have the same duration as single-girl temporary effects?  Should the effective duration be based on the number of girls affected (eg. effective duration = base duration / number of girls, as one possible approach)?

Should we leave in the ability to affect any stat/skill/status/trait with temporary items, or should we pare down the list to what makes logical sense?

To answer my own questions, I believe that:
    Duration should be designed into items, both single and all girl.
    Duration for all-girl items should be adjusted depending on the number of girls affected.
    I am ambivalent on affecting all girls in all brothels or just the girls in one brothel.
    I would prefer to pare down the list of effects to those that make sense, but I'm willing to forgo it if others want complete flexibility.
Capitalization is the difference between "I had to help my uncle Jack off a horse" and "I had to help my uncle jack off a horse."

Offline delta224

• Dev Team
Re: Temporary item effects
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2009, 05:46:01 PM »
Duration should be specified by the creator of the item.
Duration for the all girl items should be adjusted on the number of girls.
All girl items should only affect those in the brothel.
I would allow for all effects to be allowed. 

Offline Alugere

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2009, 06:19:21 PM »
For making it be only things that make sense:

Magic can make everything happen. (Although, temporarily making the girls pregnant then having the pregnancy wear off without resulting in a child would be odd.)

Duration should be per item.
Duration for multi girl items should be per item (Scented candles affect everyone in a building based on the building's size, not the number of occupants)
Items should affect brothels one at a time.

Offline DocClox

• Dev Team
  • Messing Around With Python
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2009, 06:23:17 PM »
Magic can make everything happen. (Although, temporarily making the girls pregnant then having the pregnancy wear off without resulting in a child would be odd.)

Depends on what you do with it. Use it on a nunnery so they panic and send for an exorcist, and then when their guard is down, send the goons in on a raid and come back with some primo sanctified pussy.

Of course, it doesn't need an item to do that, but I like the idea >:D

Offline zodiac44

• Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2009, 06:56:14 PM »
The temporary pregnancy effect doesn't work as is anyway.  The timer never goes down; it perpetually reads "due in 38 weeks."
Capitalization is the difference between "I had to help my uncle Jack off a horse" and "I had to help my uncle jack off a horse."

Offline LordShame

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2009, 08:57:20 PM »
I had a thought I really liked regarding temporary item effects. Right now, when you're basically in charge of every single thing that happens in anyone's inventory (with some exceptions?), temporary stuff is a hard sell. But if girls get to buy and use stuff on their own, suddenly you have a use for inexpensive temporary effects. Take the basic make-up in my item pack for example. It's a temporary +8 beauty that costs 75 gold. If you have 100,000 gold in your pocket and own 50 girls, you're probably not going to spend a lot of time worrying about getting make-up for everyone. But if the girls can buy it on their own, then suddenly they're increasing their own stats on their own dime and at no expense of time, attention or effort on your part.

So in the end, even relatively poor girls have something useful to spend their money on, it's an incentive for you to let them have some money to begin with, and it's balanced by the fact that it's temporary. If you want permanent increases you'll have better luck paying them some attention yourself (or letting them have enough money that they can afford permanent stuff by themselves).

That was my thought on it while I was making these sorts of items, in any case.