devolution

Author Topic: WM Stopping?  (Read 18380 times)

Offline xorgroth

• Not active, RIP WM
WM Stopping?
« on: December 02, 2010, 03:42:11 PM »
Didn't find an actual thread on the subject but have seen it around the forums. Is WM being phased out by Clonemaster and other branches of the game or just development being slowed down?

-Xorg

Offline necno

• Core Developer
Re: WM Stopping?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2010, 04:11:42 PM »
DocClox is still developing areas of it, and I believe Dagoth still does a little work on it now and then. I have a look and tweak a few things once in a while but overall I think it is safe to say that yet other games are being focused on much more then whoremaster. I've been looking at applying some of my newer technology I've developed so far with birthright to whoremaster but it is a long way from something that will be released.
Click here to donate
After you do so please pm me the email address you used so I can add you to the donation forum.

Working on:
Whoremaster II (Official)
Birthright (Now a commercial rougelike)

Offline DocClox

• Dev Team
  • Messing Around With Python
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2010, 05:12:19 PM »
That's about the size of it.

I've got some stuff I've promised to finish off, (lua, city wards, custom rooms) but currently I'm putting more time into Clonemaster and the Crossgate Gladiatrix League.

Offline Tweaker69

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2010, 05:10:25 PM »
Has there has been a considerable amount of changes made since the last release?

-If so, could someone be so kind as to compile and upload the new branch(es)? Or is it simply not worth the effort, and we fans should all either just move on with our lives or do it ourselves? :)

Offline DocClox

• Dev Team
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2010, 05:28:39 PM »
There's a pile of Lua scripting stuff in my branch that needs merging with the trunk. I'm not sure what's been committed to the trunk offhand. Dagoth?

Offline Orden

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2010, 05:54:03 PM »
I don't have the impression that a lot of things have been comited in SVN since last release.
When I compare the branches to the trunk, some files looks even older.

Could be nice to allow other developer to use SVN and Trac, or we have to create a SVN somewhere else ?

Offline LordJerle

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2010, 12:47:04 AM »
Me and Doc were actually talking about that the other day.  Forum activity is slowing down, and an interim release would do wonders to kick activity back up.  But, I hate to say it, but donations would make good incentive to continue development, as right now it's just something to do when they're bored.  Kickin a little money their way would give a little motivation.  Yeah, it's a freeware game done when they want, but you can't eat lines of code, nor do lines of code give you caffiene.

Offline Dagoth

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2010, 12:57:11 AM »
Has there has been a considerable amount of changes made since the last release?

-If so, could someone be so kind as to compile and upload the new branch(es)? Or is it simply not worth the effort, and we fans should all either just move on with our lives or do it ourselves? :)

Yeah, there are a fair number of changes, mainly by myrikhan. It's mainly a combination of me being rather busy for some time now, along with just not feeling like messing with it lately. I'll try to get an updated version out within the next week or two, when I have some time to check over everything for any glaring problems (and fix them if they exist), update the changelist, and so forth.

I don't have the impression that a lot of things have been comited in SVN since last release.
When I compare the branches to the trunk, some files looks even older.

Could be nice to allow other developer to use SVN and Trac, or we have to create a SVN somewhere else ?

Other developers have full read access to both. Our policy in the past has been that we grant full commit access to people who post decent fixes or modifications (preferably in diff/patch form) to the forum here, along with crediting them in the readme and potentially adding them to the team.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2010, 12:59:27 AM by Dagoth »

Offline DocClox

• Dev Team
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2010, 04:06:40 AM »
But, I hate to say it, but donations would make good incentive to continue development, as right now it's just something to do when they're bored.  Kickin a little money their way would give a little motivation.

I appreciate the thought, but I should probably point out that donate link people see on the forums is to necno's tip jar. By all means go  ahead and tip him, but I'll never know about it, much less be motivated by the gesture. :) I should add that this isn't a dig at necno; if I wanted a tip jar, I'd have set one up.

I work on games like this because I enjoy it, and because I like the games and want to see them get better. When it stops being fun, or when I can't make the changes I think would make for a better game, that's when my motivation drops off.

Offline Bluebeholder

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2010, 03:11:02 PM »
Was there any change on when lua scripting being added?  As I remember Dec/Jan was the last stated time for that to come out. 

Offline DocClox

• Dev Team
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2010, 04:05:11 PM »
Well, we're not going to make January, that's for sure :/

Offline Mehzerz

• Rockin' the after life after party
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2010, 12:56:14 AM »
I'm honestly more interested in Gladiatrix league than any new progress on WM. :x I AM PUMPED FOR IT.
Starter girls image additions progress:
26 girls, 18 to go

Offline DocClox

• Dev Team
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2010, 03:43:50 AM »
Well, I'm still working on the Gladiatrix League, certainly. (OK, it's been a clonemaster sort of week - I'm not giving up on either project yet :))

Offline Mehzerz

• Rockin' the after life after party
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2010, 10:34:00 AM »
Good news on both ends! Looking forward to it. Keep up the good work!
Starter girls image additions progress:
26 girls, 18 to go

Offline sgb

« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2010, 12:45:07 PM »
Agreed with Mehzerz here; I'd much rather hear about new projects than more WM updates at this point.  Even if a WM update gets released, at this point it would probably fail to hold my interest for more than a day or so.  Most of us still here have played the game to death, and a few fixes and updates won't renew interest.

Certainly not going to complain about fixes and updates of course, I'm just responding more to LordJerle's comment here.  People just want something new to talk about at this point.