devolution

Author Topic: WM Stopping?  (Read 18371 times)

Offline HuiBui

Re: WM Stopping?
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2010, 04:41:48 PM »
I don't agreed .
I'm still waiting for LUA which makes this fantastic game ultimate individual.
And the best game in the world in this genre.

Offline DocClox

• Dev Team
  • Messing Around With Python
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2010, 04:00:13 AM »
Well, you're gong to have to wait a little bit longer, I'm afraid. Spending so much time sick this summer really set me back. It's take this long to get up to speed, and right now I'm doing clonemaster and making good progress.

That said, if anyone wants to take a crack at it rather than just wait for me, I'll make sure my svn branch is up to date. The basics are fairly well established, and my todo list on wave details what still needs doing.

Offline necno

• Core Developer
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2010, 05:34:21 PM »
And I've been a little set back by applying for a job. But Birthright is still in development.
Click here to donate
After you do so please pm me the email address you used so I can add you to the donation forum.

Working on:
Whoremaster II (Official)
Birthright (Now a commercial rougelike)

Offline Tweaker69

« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2010, 09:02:39 PM »
I would certainly like an interim release, as I don't think this project is as "dead" as recent circumstances are starting to make it look. I think the hiatus is fine and good, but having just a small but significant amount of progress to show would breathe some life back into the project for contributors and fans alike.

Great news about CloneMaster, Gladiatrix and Birthright, as well. When can we expect some demos? :D

Offline DocClox

• Dev Team
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2010, 04:47:24 AM »
With a bit of luck, I'll have the Clonemaster Scene Editor done for the end of the week.

If I can do that, I should be able to demo the opening scene around Christmas. There won't be any actual management - the lab and timeline screens are still sorely lacking - but you'll get an idea of the setting and the mood. (And I'll get to make sure that I have all the dlls and script files that you guys need to make it work.

Offline LordJerle

« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2010, 01:03:02 PM »
I'm still waiting on that arena thing I was promised in WM >.>

Offline shadownall

« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2010, 02:17:45 PM »
I can't wait for an update.  It'll be nice to see what gets added in.

Offline Mehzerz

• Rockin' the after life after party
« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2010, 10:39:26 PM »
I'm still waiting on that arena thing I was promised in WM >.>

Was an arena promised? I remember a paper, rock, scissors game being discussed but I don't know if it actually went into any to-do lists or even started development. I can't deny you how neat that'd be but it seems gladiatrix league will be able to take over for that and possibly do it far better than WM could have.
Starter girls image additions progress:
26 girls, 18 to go

Offline drake

« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2010, 05:43:05 PM »
I'm still hoping for the Lua stuff.  Being able to make custom events and interactions for the different girls would be awesome.

Offline DocClox

• Dev Team
« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2010, 03:41:07 AM »
I'm still hoping for the Lua stuff.  Being able to make custom events and interactions for the different girls would be awesome.

Well, I'm not ruling it out, but like I said elsewhere, I'm on sabattical for the time being.

Basically, the problem with Lua in WM is that all the data is in C++ storage. Which means that for each data elelment you want to access, you need to write C++ functions to make the data available to Lua, and to update the C++ data once you've finished with it. 

This turns out to be a sizeable chunk of work. Initially, I'd hoped to just expose a small subset of the WM data ... but that severely limits what can be done. The second problem is that there are a hell of a lot of events we want to hook. Take a look at the ToDo page on my wave if you want to see how many.

Then on top of that, the other stuff I really want to do (like buildings, city wards and the arena) all need the lua extensions to some extent.

Anyway, it's a substantial task. It was a substantial task when the code was all fresh in my mind. After a three month break, it's daunting indeed.

And so ... I'm on sabbatical. I'll look at it again come the summer :)

Offline necno

• Core Developer
« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2010, 07:47:20 PM »
This is why my new game engine uses angelscript. I just bind the class, then the methods and members that I want scripts to use and its done. Also as angelscript uses C++ style sytax I could write classes in script files, or better yet, any code that was coded into the exe can be copied and pasted into a script file (providing things are binded correctly).

In addition it seems to be a very fast script library which is always good, birthright requires quite a bit of script processing so speed is very nice.
Click here to donate
After you do so please pm me the email address you used so I can add you to the donation forum.

Working on:
Whoremaster II (Official)
Birthright (Now a commercial rougelike)

Offline Dagoth

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2010, 04:21:56 PM »
OK, I've had a chance to check the current WM code and it seems to be working fine. I went ahead and fixed a bunch of typos as well, mainly thanks to bj.

I'll try to get it released in the next couple of days. There are actually several changes, most of them by myrikhan. Here's the change list:

* Updated Slider control code to now change position to wherever you click on the slider, instead of just increasing/decreasing by a set amount if you clicked to either side of the "button"
* Revamped scrollbar code to extricate it from being directly tied to listboxes
* Scrollbars on listboxes are now "clicky", meaning the bar itself sort of snaps up or down between actual positions instead of smoothly sliding up or down; this description might be confusing, but you'll probably notice the different feel
* Text which is too long to fit in the provided areas now have scrollbars automatically added; you can smoothly scroll pixel-by-pixel by dragging the bar, or scroll one line of text at a time by using the up/down buttons or your mouse scrollwheel
* fixed quite a few typos, mainly thanks to bj (http://pinkpetal.org/index.php?topic=585.0)
Many many changes by myrikhan, as follows:
* High-quality sex acts (from skilled girls) now often give flavorful mad-libs style turn summary descriptions
* Turn Summary screen message display order changed:
  - Girls with ciritical (red) messages are displayed first, followed by warnings (dark blue)
  - Within the message list itself, red messages are displayed first, then dark blue
* Worked in the security job:
  - Attackers who cause trouble to girls is now a group of 1-10 people. (I'm specifically NOT calling them gangs to avoid confusion.) They don't have healing potions or weapon levels.
  - The first layer of protection is one of the security guards.
  - If she is defeated, the second layer is defending gangs, if they pass the coverage check.
  - The third layer of defense is the girl herself.
  - Casualties to the attackers accumulate from layer to layer
  - Traits worked in to the security point calculation
  - Stopping a group of attackers costs (#attackers x 5) security points
  - Security points decay by 50 each round (To prevent banking in the early parts of the game.)
* Added Catacombs05 and Catacombs01 to rarity. Didn't change any items in the items file. (I figure we can do that over time if we like this change.)
* Improved and bugfixed the item use automation function
* Girl level cap raised to 999. Function modified to reflect this: Skill-ups occur for only the first 20 levels (same as before). This is cosmetic, as nothing depends on level, except girl sell price.
* Turned some repetitive code into functions
* Random bugfixes
* Added natural healing of 2% per shift for each girl. It is a flat 2% that isn't affected by traits like tough or fragile
  - Tried to add a 2% per shift reduction to tiredness, but it caused tiredness values to go to 100% unexpectedly, so it's commented out.
* Noticed that statuses like 'controlled' currently don't do anything. For a few of the items that add the 'controlled' status I added on to them the ability to remove the strong willed trait.
  - (eg: disguised slave band, necklace of control)

Offline Tweaker69

« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2010, 01:54:00 AM »
Thank you, Dagoth! That looks like some hefty progress to me, and I'm looking forward to another WM spree soon. Big thanks also to every one of you who helped get the game as far as it has come. Cheers!

Offline Dagoth

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2010, 10:05:17 AM »
And a few more changes I've noticed and added to the changelog after reviewing all WM SVN commits since r485, a couple from me and several from WonderDog:
* Animated images should now be completely supported on all screens, where they were mostly broken before
* Code which was supposed to cull old (no longer needed) images from memory has been fixed, so memory usage should be lower with extended play
Several changes by WonderDog, as follows:
* Torturer job and torturing in general has been updated and improved quite a bit
* Turn Summary message colors are updated based on severity of events and health o girls/gangs (dark blue or red)
* Weekly girl stat changes based on house percentage (obedience, fear, hate, happiness) are a bit more fluid
* some further code refactoring

I'll probably post the new version later today.

Offline Dagoth

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: December 20, 2010, 12:38:46 PM »