Author Topic: Logouts  (Read 15120 times)

Offline ShiningRadiance

• I command thee!
Re: Logouts
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2011, 01:12:40 PM »

Seriousness now, joking aside. 
What browser is everybody using?  Cuz it seems to me Firefox just updated recently and the logouts started around that time.

Google chrome. Only the best.
Please treat me well even though I don't deserve it.

Offline Uriel

« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2011, 02:11:43 PM »
Firefox 3.6.13

Offline megamanx

• I watch DBZ Abridged and give it three thumbs up
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2011, 09:33:46 PM »
i have been having to use window internet explorer for the past week so far because firefo has been killing itself if i open more then five tabs two weeks ago it didn' even slow down if i had 200 tabs open something has happened
REST IN PIECE TOONAMI.
From beginning to the very end I was there. I will never forget.
Tom and the Absolution 1997-2008
A great Character and a funny host. You will live on forever in this.

Offline LordJerle

« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2011, 01:25:09 AM »
Hrmm... so it's spanning across different browsers.  Probably a cookie expiration issue then.

Offline Dagoth

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2011, 01:57:36 AM »
Actually, having looked into it a little, it appears to be a bot trying to log into existing accounts, guessing random common passwords. I don't see that such attempts are likely to be successful at all given the low frequency of them and the brute-force nature, but there you have it.
When the bot's login attempt fails for a particular username, the forum clears that user's session. So, that user then needs to log back in.

The bot is using random IP addresses, so I can't block it that way. I'll look into other solutions when I have the time. In the meantime, all I can say is to bear with it and make sure you don't have a really common one-word password or anything like that. It's quite unlikely the bot will manage to randomly get a password right, but better safe than sorry.

Offline LordJerle

« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2011, 02:01:59 AM »
Oh, so they're trying to hack us.  Guess PPG is popular then eh?

Offline Dagoth

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2011, 02:21:28 AM »
I guess. It's trying to get into fires_flair's account right now, based on the forum error log. It's waiting a bit over 10 minutes between each attempt (not very effective for brute force password cracking), with a new IP address each time.

Offline LordJerle

« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2011, 03:13:23 AM »
are the IP's localized or is it working via proxy?  Probably a proxy, but a router reset would explain the time between attempts.

Offline DocClox

• Dev Team
  • Messing Around With Python
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2011, 03:23:33 AM »
In which case, there might be something to be gained by complaining to the ISP in question. Good thinking.

Offline Mehzerz

• Rockin' the after life after party
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2011, 03:24:01 AM »
Opera here :) But yeah, I've noticed a few bots from time to time. Means we're getting a lot of vistors! :D
Starter girls image additions progress:
26 girls, 18 to go

Offline Mehzerz

• Rockin' the after life after party
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2011, 03:26:43 AM »
Side note: Radiance, weren't you part of the team working on Sim Brothel? What ever happened to that?  ::)
Starter girls image additions progress:
26 girls, 18 to go

Offline Dagoth

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2011, 03:30:07 AM »
I checked a couple of the IPs and they were on the TOR network. The rest probably are proxies as well. I'd prefer not to block proxy server IP ranges, but I might do that as a last resort if the bot seems to be restricted to a few proxy IP ranges and if I can't find a better solution.

Offline ShiningRadiance

• I command thee!
« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2011, 03:12:07 AM »
Side note: Radiance, weren't you part of the team working on Sim Brothel? What ever happened to that?  ::)
I was too much like Doc, so we never got anything done. Why do you think I have such a problem with him? :)
Please treat me well even though I don't deserve it.

Offline DocClox

• Dev Team
  • Messing Around With Python
« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2011, 05:11:04 AM »
I was too much like Doc, so we never got anything done. Why do you think I have such a problem with him? :)

Hey don't blame me - I only stopped by here to fix a few bugs and port the code to Linux; maybe offer some encouragement to a talented designer who was making a game I enjoyed. Hanging around for a couple of years was never in the game plan. I had - have - projects of my own, you know?

Still, that said, I've had fun working on Whoremaster. It's a great game, and I feel privileged to have been part of the dev team. But let's get a few things into perspective here.

A little while ago, you, ShingingRadiance, and a few of your friends went to great lengths to persuade me that I lacked the moral authority to take the game in the direction I had in mind. OK, fair enough. We ran a few polls and just under two thirds of those responding supported my vision. I guess that if I'd been some brutal uncaring tyrant bent on forcing everyone to do things my way (as you recently suggested) then that would have been justification enough. But ... I figured you had a point.

The thing is, if I don't have that moral authority, then who does? Just because I'm not in charge here, Radiance, that does not mean that you are. That's a point that seems to have escaped you lately.

No, the only person who has any real authority to determine the direction in which the game should proceed is necno. So I asked him, and he was very clear. He wants the the game to be finished. Fair enough. It's necno's game and necno's project. I admit, I had hoped he'd back my vision, but he didn't and I'm happy to respect his wishes.

I appreciate that you may not like where that leaves the project, Radiance.  But if you're honest with yourself, you'll find you're not without responsibility for the current state of affairs.

Now, if you don't mind, I have a number of projects where I do have the right to make design decisions, and I think I'll go and work on one of them.

For everybody else - my apologies for the rant.

Offline Uriel

« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2011, 09:08:34 AM »
I just got strange, unexplainable signatures on my thread hijack detectors. Hang on guys while i'm trying to decipher them.