devolution

Author Topic: Playstation 3 game suggestions?  (Read 49381 times)

Offline LordJerle

Re: Playstation 3 game suggestions?
« Reply #105 on: August 04, 2010, 06:56:00 PM »
It's hard to find any good emulators anymore.  The older consoles have pretty much been perfected, and the current gen is hard to emulate.

Offline Amoeba

« Reply #106 on: August 04, 2010, 09:36:49 PM »
Most of it anyway. I think the DS is the only modern gaming... device that has reliable emulators. Wii, PS2/3, Xbox/360, and even PSP emulators simply aren't up to snuff. Which is a shame, since my 360 red ringed and my PSP has something wrong with it.(Seems like the connection to the battery bits are broken, since I can use it plugged in and replacing the battery did nothing)

Offline Lorde

• Accepting requests for girl expansion packs.
« Reply #107 on: August 04, 2010, 10:16:37 PM »
In general, I have noticed that emulators need 1 generation of separation between what it is emulating and the current generation. (Fancy ass way of saying exactly what Amoeba just did. :D )  I figure on three reasons for this.

• Gives emulator dev's time to emulate all the features of the hardware.
  • Gives computer hardware time to "equalize" with what it's emulating. You generally need more processing power to emulate in software what has been done in hardware.
  • Gives time for a consoles library to be ported over to the Emulator. Dev's spend their time squashing bugs in the emulator that crop up as new rom's are introduced.

PS2 Emulation has an added layer of complexity as well since there are 12 different versions of the console (2 are slim I believe) Some versions of the hardware where poorly supported by sony. Because of this, some of the games that where released during those versions have horrendous backwards compatibility with the PS3. At least when it still had that feature. (Oddly enough, SO3 falls into this category.) It would be assumed that all these versions (including poorly supported ones) would need to be emulated to port over PS2's rather extensive library.

On the flip side, the DS isn't that hard to emulate since it's basically a SNES on roids. (more like fxchip + snes on roids.)
Current Girl Work Schedule            
* Revy  (Black Lagoon)
* Stab at The series He is my Master
* Run Elsie Jewelria and Yuuki Rito (To Love Ru)
* Yukari Takeba (Persona 3)
* Work on the Code Geass girls

Offline Mehzerz

• Rockin' the after life after party
« Reply #108 on: August 05, 2010, 01:15:31 AM »
If you REALLY want to play PS2 games you're better off buying a PS2 and getting Swap Magic. Then buy a big stack of DVDs and play whatever you can find to your hearts content, believe me. It pretty much pays for itself.
If you already have a PS2 then you're in luck! That's one less expense. :)

Modding your PSP isn't worth it anymore. They're stuck on custom firmware 5.0 I don't think you can play newer games on that firmware. Sony finally beat that modding community to the punch... for a while now.
Starter girls image additions progress:
26 girls, 18 to go

Offline Amoeba

« Reply #109 on: August 05, 2010, 01:21:26 AM »
But Mehzerz, that would be piracy : O.

But really, I try and keep my game playing as legit as possible... Provided there's an English version available for purchase of what I want to play anyway. Mainly because I like having physical copies, even if I prefer to use digital ones, and I do my best to support companies that make good games(And of course, I want to only play good games)

Offline fixet

« Reply #110 on: August 05, 2010, 10:59:31 AM »
pcsx2 is a pretty solid emulator, you just have to mess with the settings... a lot
and xbox is a pc emulator, so having an emulator for it would be kinda redundant

anyway, the best thing to do would be to get an old ps3 for ps2/3 games, and play anything else on the pc
360 exclusives are (imo) not worth playing, much less getting a 360

Offline LordJerle

« Reply #111 on: August 05, 2010, 12:33:30 PM »
pcsx2 is a pretty solid emulator, you just have to mess with the settings... a lot
and xbox is a pc emulator, so having an emulator for it would be kinda redundant

anyway, the best thing to do would be to get an old ps3 for ps2/3 games, and play anything else on the pc
360 exclusives are (imo) not worth playing, much less getting a 360

360 > PS3
Are you here just to pick fights and order things to be done your way? 
The subject of this thread is PS3 games, not the "360 Bashing Thread".
I guess I'll follow suit with like 3/4 of the forum and put you on ignore.

Offline fixet

« Reply #112 on: August 05, 2010, 02:30:07 PM »
you're somewhat of an idiot, aren't you?

first of all, that "imo" stands for "in my opinion", meaning it's an opinion, and not a universal rule
second, I never said anything about the 360 being worse than ps3, I said its exclusives are not a good enough reason to get it, and everything else is on the pc

if you manage to focus both of your brain cells, you'll notice the last few posts being about ps2 and emulation
also, cool irony you've got going on there
please do ignore me, if it'll spare me of your prepubescent outbursts in the future

Offline LordJerle

« Reply #113 on: August 05, 2010, 02:49:38 PM »
you're somewhat of an idiot, aren't you?

first of all, that "imo" stands for "in my opinion", meaning it's an opinion, and not a universal rule
second, I never said anything about the 360 being worse than ps3, I said its exclusives are not a good enough reason to get it, and everything else is on the pc

if you manage to focus both of your brain cells, you'll notice the last few posts being about ps2 and emulation
also, cool irony you've got going on there
please do ignore me, if it'll spare me of your prepubescent outbursts in the future

A) Rumble Roses XX, Dead or Alive 4, Fable 2, plus ACTUAL WORKING backwards compatibility with a myriad of original X-Box games that knock the pants off anything on PS3, back before it became all about showing off technology instead of quality gameplay. 

B) Just about every post you make is an argument or a snide remark about something.  So far it's been "The *insert something here* sucks", "If you're going to make a game, make it right the first time", and other stuff I can't be fucked looking for.  If you don't know what you're talking about, don't speak.  Stating that ALL 360 exclusives are available on PC is just ignorant and shows how little you know about the console.  Stating that a game should be made bug free, your way, shows your ignorance of the development process and community driven development overall.  As I stated previously in another post regarding that, if you want whoremaster done your way, grab the code and do it yourself.  Nobody's stopping you, the source is readily available.   

C) "please do ignore me, if it'll spare me of your prepubescent outbursts in the future"  "you're somewhat of an idiot, aren't you?"  I do believe the point is made itself, however, allow me to explain it anyway so you have a clear and concise message.  You're the one throwing insults around, you're the one insisting on having things done your way, and you're the one making assumptions about things you obviously don't have any understanding about.  If you have something constructive to say that you have actual knowledge of, by all means, post it.  If you have a witty remark or a fond memory of a game being discussed, by all means, post it.  If you have something that can benefit the conversation, post it.  However, if it's an "Oh my god, this console suxx0rz, even though I know nothing about it!" please keep it to yourself.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2010, 02:54:43 PM by LordJerle »

Offline fixet

« Reply #114 on: August 05, 2010, 03:25:04 PM »
no, really, did you even read the post you quoted?

I never said anything about the 360. I said I personally don't consider them good games, and they are are not reason enough to buy the console. everything else (that means everything besides the exclusives) is on the pc.

I explained where I stand on wm when everyone else was doing the same. doc made the poll, and I never pushed anything after that.
the remark about todd howard and making it right the first time was about modding and relying on modding community to bring the game to broader masses, which you'd have known if you were intelligent enough to read what someone wrote before pulling conclusions out of your ass
and just a friendly advice
don't approach anything with "it's ok, it will be moddable"
you're not todd howard, make shit right from the start

you lack intelligence and basic reading comprehension
that is not a snide remark, or an insult, but an observation

here is the definition of the word "ignore", since you seem to be confused about its meaning
now, start practicing it, and stop shitting up the thread

Offline Lorde

« Reply #115 on: August 05, 2010, 03:37:13 PM »
But really, I try and keep my game playing as legit as possible... Provided there's an English version available for purchase of what I want to play anyway. Mainly because I like having physical copies, even if I prefer to use digital ones, and I do my best to support companies that make good games(And of course, I want to only play good games)

I tend to add "Games I can only get through Ebay" On the list of things I will emulate. Especially if I can't get the game through XBLA or Gametap.
* Revy  (Black Lagoon)

Offline sgb

« Reply #116 on: August 05, 2010, 06:34:35 PM »
I tend to add "Games I can only get through Ebay" On the list of things I will emulate. Especially if I can't get the game through XBLA or Gametap.
This is my policy on emulating stuff as well.  What, $60 + $30 shipping for Suikoden 2 you say?  How about I pay 50 cents for a blank CD and burn the ISO then?

On a related note, Suikoden VI when Konami?  All the loose ends of the series still need to be tied up.  Oh, and if one of your writers wants to do a 10-hour long prologue again please strange them.  Thanks.

Offline Mehzerz

• Rockin' the after life after party
« Reply #117 on: August 06, 2010, 09:27:35 AM »
I bought Xenogears for 40 bucks like 12 years ago. Best purchase I ever made. Found it hidden in a local gamestop one day. I also got Suikoden 2 for about 30 I traded it for Brave Fencer Musashi. Though, Musashi is a great game in itself it's no Suikoden 2.

I would love a Suikoden 6. :( 5 was amazing! Really brought back the series, started to do it's own thing on 3 and I don't even know what happened with 4.

Any games I don't buy are usually japanese imports, unless it's like... a really good game. Play-asia and all those sites charge you an arm and a leg for those games. D:
Starter girls image additions progress:
26 girls, 18 to go

Offline sgb

« Reply #118 on: August 06, 2010, 08:57:33 PM »
With digital downloads there's really not much excuse for companies failing to re-release popular games from the past.  With sites like Good Old Games, Steam and Impulse on the PC you can get pretty much any relevant PC game from the last 20 years.  Legally.  Looking on the PSN under PS1 classics...there's about 20 games on there.  And no PS2 section at all, though that's probably because Sony wants you to forget the PS3 could ever play PS2 games.

Offline Lorde

« Reply #119 on: August 06, 2010, 09:51:11 PM »
I bought Xenogears for 40 bucks like 12 years ago. Best purchase I ever made. Found it hidden in a local gamestop one day. I also got Suikoden 2 for about 30 I traded it for Brave Fencer Musashi. Though, Musashi is a great game in itself it's no Suikoden 2.

Speaking of the Xeno series. I don't think a sequel has ever disappointed me as much as Xenosaga 2 did. That single game killed my fandom. Though I had enough left to appreciate all the callbacks to Abel|Weltall|Fei in Xenosaga 3. Hell of a way to say goodbye to the series.

And no PS2 section at all, though that's probably because Sony wants you to forget the PS3 could ever play PS2 games.

I'm reminded of a quote from a Sony rep that was along the lines of  "We already won the Console race. Look at the PS2." when asked about their strategy for the PS3 back when it had "Artificial Scarcity". It's been surmised that the reason Sony dropped PS2 support for the PS3 was to try and entice the PS2 customer base to upgrade.

There was an "Atari 5200ness" to the PS3 when it first came out. A general feeling of "why bother upgrading". Because of the lack of quality games on the system, back when it was first released, the PS3 ended up getting pegged as a $700 Blue-ray player that played PS1 and PS2 games. It's a shame PS3 lost backwards comparability. But it's no where near the dumbest thing Sony has ever pulled on it's customers. (Or on itself for that matter)
* Revy  (Black Lagoon)