Author Topic: Heath Care  (Read 10481 times)

Offline Shinteo

Re: Heath Care
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2010, 11:46:52 AM »
Seems it's only just me that finds the current traits very limiting...

Oh well. If the edit traits thing works, then I'll be able to do them on my own, without having to bother anyone else here...

Offline DocClox

• Dev Team
  • Messing Around With Python
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2010, 03:16:55 AM »
Oh well. If the edit traits thing works, then I'll be able to do them on my own, without having to bother anyone else here...

Aww, don't do that. Just because people are content with the current arrangement, that doesn't mean it can't be greatly improved.  It's just that sometimes we need to see the change in action before we understand.

That said, I'm making no promises about timescales for this.

Offline Mehzerz

• Rockin' the after life after party
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2010, 04:04:38 AM »
My main concern is when making girls, how would girls work when someone with a bunch of user-created traits releases them to someone with the predefined traits? Would that girl have no traits when downloaded?
I just think... it's better for everyone if the traits are unalterable and predefined from the get go.
Starter girls image additions progress:
26 girls, 18 to go

Offline DocClox

• Dev Team
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2010, 05:06:28 AM »
My main concern is when making girls, how would girls work when someone with a bunch of user-created traits releases them to someone with the predefined traits? Would that girl have no traits when downloaded?
I just think... it's better for everyone if the traits are unalterable and predefined from the get go.

I think we can make things a bit more fault tolerant than that.
  • we make trait files as add-ons, like with the girlsx format. So the core traits are always defined - you can just add extra ones if you wish
  • if a trait is not recognised, a warning message is logged, and the trait is otherwise ignored. Other traits are still processed as normal.
  • So the worst that ever happens is that if you d/l a girl pack, and some of those girls use traits from a trait addon you don't have, you only see the vanilla traits. Which is what would happen if the add-on traits didn't exist in the first place

Offline Zeus

« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2010, 06:28:50 AM »
  • So the worst that ever happens is that if you d/l a girl pack, and some of those girls use traits from a trait addon you don't have, you only see the vanilla traits. Which is what would happen if the add-on traits didn't exist in the first place
or you put this Addon within like the .grilx files...
why fear 6 7? 7 8 9! (just say it loud and you understand ... mh... jokes you have to explain are crap... Sorry ^^)

Offline DocClox

• Dev Team
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2010, 07:13:45 AM »
or you put this Addon within like the .grilx files...

You mean zipping  the (say) .traitsx file with the .girlsx file? that would work, certainly. The other option would be to embed trait definitions in the girlsx file itself, or even in the girl definition. But that opens the door to the same trait meaning different things when applied to different girls. Or to the meaning of the trait depending on the order the girl files are loaded in.

But yeah, include a trait file with the girls, and that should be fairly robust.

Offline dalmedya

« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2010, 04:50:42 AM »
Modify the trait editor so that it can merge new trait files into the master file, and pop up a warning if you try to use an existing name?
Ideally there should be some sort of installer for girls so that all this file modification business goes away.

Offline killjoy57us

« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2010, 04:19:33 PM »
This interoperability problem is common among modding communities. The best way (that I know of) around it is corroboration between modders. If two girl makers have worked out the bugs between each others girls and core traits, then the download lists will say so. If, say, a mod becomes so popular that almost everyone uses it, then the best modders will work around that one if they want to get their stufff out there. The human system kinda works out the kinks itself.

As far as mechanics go, I'm gonna keep my mouth shut and leave that to people whose business it is to figure that out; I'm programming retarded.

Offline Lorde

• Accepting requests for girl expansion packs.
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2010, 04:34:28 PM »
This is one of the reasons why I did expansion packs for girls. It's a simple way to add more images and you don't get swamped with multiple girlsx files of the same girls. Also sidesteps the dick move of uploading someone else's work.

Though I agree that girl creators are gonna eventually have a sit down and figure out what to do going forward. That, I believe, can be held off until there is some tweeking done with the difficulty. As it stands now, there really isn't much of a difference between a girl with all 0's and all 100's when all is said and done and you have around 20 girls to begin with. (Items can increase a girls stats anyway you see fit from the word go and the dungeon works well with high rebellion girls.) 
Current Girl Work Schedule            
* Revy  (Black Lagoon)
* Stab at The series He is my Master
* Run Elsie Jewelria and Yuuki Rito (To Love Ru)
* Yukari Takeba (Persona 3)
* Work on the Code Geass girls