devolution

Author Topic: Compatability for .webm files  (Read 3016 times)

Offline TheVoidDeath

Compatability for .webm files
« on: September 08, 2018, 11:52:55 AM »
Is there a possibility of this being made or if not could you pass me the code for wm so i could try to implement it.

Offline Beracell

Re: Compatability for .webm files
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2018, 10:10:47 PM »
If you want to try look here.

Look in this thread..
https://www.pinkpetal.org/index.php?topic=3446.0
search for this line... "The Source Code is here".. its in the first post right under the small section about compiled DefaultImages folder.

Personally I don't think it will be supported in any release of the game the main reason I would think is because it would make girl packs big compared to what they are now and that can make them quite hard to share.
 Also that I dont think there have been to many requests for it as gifs achieve the same effect... the only thing your adding is sound but at the cost of space leading to the main reason I think they are not supported. But you can try for yourself if you want your own version that supports it.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2018, 10:14:14 PM by Beracell »

Offline 790 Series Lusticon Operations Unit

• I worship His Shadow.
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2018, 01:05:31 AM »
Actually, from what I've seen, most .webm files are much smaller and yet higher quality than many .gif files. I know this first hand because I've made gifs from them and seen radical size increases. The more important issue to me is that they also support sound, which can bloat their size beyond what I want, and I have no idea how to strip them of sound as I've never had to look.
May His merciful Shadow fall upon you.

Offline Beracell

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2018, 05:13:16 AM »
Usually when I run across them they are larger in size not counting sound.
I think a lot of size might matter from how they are both compiled... I haven't taken into account things like duration, or if the gif has had frames cut or things like that. I usually go in with all the gifs I get cut frames to reduce size so they end up being alot smaller than normal and most people cant tell that anything has been lost.. If webm files are truly smaller without sound than a gif for duration, quality, and frame count it could be worth while.
Yes sound adds size quickly.

Offline CaptC

• Are you experienced?
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2018, 08:23:03 AM »
Webm is simply superior in every way to animated gifs.

If a webm is bigger than a gif, the webm simply includes WAY more stuff, in duration and picture quality.

Offline Beracell

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2018, 05:04:00 AM »
I honestly don't know much about webm, I looked into it years ago around when it first came out so I vaguely know what its supposed to do but it was never really supported anywhere for another 4 years or so after its release so like most of the masses I stuck with gif. Depending where you visit though it may have been supported for a while it has only been getting popular with in the last I would say 2 years or so.

But as long as the file doesn't have sound so that packs stay small so that they can still be shared easily... Ill vote to have it supported later.