Author Topic: Question would this be possible to do  (Read 2385 times)

Offline Desphex

Question would this be possible to do
« on: May 22, 2011, 12:45:52 AM »
after playing WM for a while i just started missing a lack of growth and variation in the game as your always stuck to 6 brothels with build in bars and gambling dens and the city never grew in size no matter how long you played which set me thinking of other games (very old ones) like TTDX (Transport Tycoon Deluxe) and Gangsters 1 and 2 where everything around you (like the cities or your shady businesses) grows larger in size, profit and population the longer you played and wondered wouldn't it be amazing to incorperate it into a game like WM it would give the player a lot more freedom in how he or she wishes to build his empire of crime. Aswell as give him a new locations over time as the city grows and prospers, one could even add disasters to the world like famine that could increase the tiredness gained faster or reduce amount of customers, diseases like a plague that could swoop over the city capable of killing off clients or your girls or reduce there health to a point where they cant work, or a financial crisis that could cripple the city resulting in a reduction of clients visiting your businesses and increases the cost of items, girls and other things you buy for a set amount of weeks/turns. This would give the player a lot of things to work with making the game more challenging and fun in my opinion. And unfortunatly i dont know if what i suggest is even doable i'm no expert at scripting, just that ideas constantly pop up in my head when i play a game like hmm if this was added into the game it would give a bigger challenge and how about adding that to it aswell seems i cant shut my brain off about such things. Hope some one can work with this or give me advice on these ideas as i would realy love to see how it would work out. I'de try to do it my self but the best i can do is script a loop with python :-[ .

Offline Jaxter

Re: Question would this be possible to do
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2011, 03:11:28 AM »
Most-everything is doable, but what you're describing is a major undertaking in itself. Since we're using volunteer coders big things are unlikely to happen anytime this millennium. Sorry, sounds cool though.

Offline necno

• Core Developer
Re: Question would this be possible to do
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2011, 06:07:38 PM »
Such an undertaking would have to wait for a sequel. The original WM just isn't built for that kind of addition without an amazing amount of recoding
and recoding often kills projects, it is what kind of what stopped WM from continuing development as new features to be added required much redoing
of code which drains a programmers enthusiasm stat quickly. So large features need to be coded for in the initial design.

This is why Left 4 Dead has a sequel, because recoding Left 4 Dead 1 to have the features of Left 4 Dead 2 would be very annoying and would
probably negatively impact the product.
Click here to donate
After you do so please pm me the email address you used so I can add you to the donation forum.

Working on:
Whoremaster II (Official)
Birthright (Now a commercial rougelike)