devolution

Author Topic: More brothel events and girl events. (and editer)  (Read 20969 times)

Offline DocClox

• Dev Team
  • Messing Around With Python
Re: More brothel events and girl events. (and editer)
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2010, 05:30:12 AM »
Speaking of...  Mr DocClox, your awesome codingness sir, any idea on when the Lua implementation will come out?

Hmmm.... OK, it IS time I bit the bullet and tackled that svn merge, isn't it? If I can get the code merged, we can maybe try out some of the lua handlers I have got coded. Maybe get some alpha testing done while I get the rest of them written.

I share Mehzerz point of view. I wouldn't mind to go ahead with town wards city map (and discussion) if there's still some interest on it...

I'm still interested, cretainly. I just got a bit derailed by Real Life a couple of months back  :-[

And -as a side-note- I would not dare to discourage people that complain/coment about whatever Doc is proposing/doing because I think criticizing is just another tool to improve the final product.

However, originally, Doc (Apparently) cared. I'm not too sure about now.

I really don't see what's changed. I'm not proposing any new in-game restrictions. I just wanted to make the point that all games are made up principally of restrictions, and that proposing a new one shouldn't automatically be condemned as an act of infamy.

Sometimes it seems that any time anyone (not just me) suggests limiting some aspect of the game, even for good reason, people seem to start talking about "taking away our freedoms" as if Barak Obama had just made a speech at a Tea Party convention.

I'm not saying that as a jab at you personally, Radiance; I've been meaning to comment on this for some time. It just seems all too common a reaction, and one that's not particularly conducive to constructive debate.

Offline d31r3x

• Town Wards Martyr.
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2010, 06:57:06 AM »
I'm still interested, cretainly. I just got a bit derailed by Real Life a couple of months back  :-[

Oh, I know, I know, but you're better now, aren't you?... I have been busy myself -had almost no free time last months, wich is good for business but bad for leisure. Now looks like I'm having a bit more time to spare and I would like to get a 'working' version of the city map and finish some half-made interface 'concepts' (flash version).

Offline DocClox

• Dev Team
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2010, 07:29:56 AM »

Oh, I know, I know, but you're better now, aren't you?... I have been busy myself -had almost no free time last months, wich is good for business but bad for leisure. Now looks like I'm having a bit more time to spare and I would like to get a 'working' version of the city map and finish some half-made interface 'concepts' (flash version).

Well, I'm back at work on graduated return, but still working half days at the moment. So getting there, but not entirely there yet. As the occupational health lady told me - "two major surguries and a serious infection - it's going to take time".

Still, I'll see about clearing down my WM todo list a bit this week. Better to do it now, before I get completely sidetracked with gladatrix leagues and clonemaster...

Offline ShiningRadiance

• I command thee!
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2010, 09:40:55 PM »
I'm not saying that as a jab at you personally, Radiance; I've been meaning to comment on this for some time. It just seems all too common a reaction, and one that's not particularly conducive to constructive debate.

And if no one said it, you'd go too far in restrictions. At the least, see it as a necessary counterpoint to prevent from going too far.
Please treat me well even though I don't deserve it.

Offline DocClox

• Dev Team
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2010, 04:43:04 AM »

And if no one said it, you'd go too far in restrictions. At the least, see it as a necessary counterpoint to prevent from going too far.

I find your lack of faith ... disturbing. (I always wanted to say that  :) )

Seriously though, I'm not suggesting you shouldn't say anything if you think a proposed change is a bad idea. All I'm asking is that you say how it's going to make the game worse, ratrher than simply condeming it out of hand because it limits player freedom within the game.

For example: I don't mind "I think that's a bad idea because it would increase the amount of micromanagement, and doesn't really add anything to the game".

On the other hand, I don't find any compelling argument in "That's a restriction on the player, and all restrictions are Bad"

So - sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander: If you want people to show how a change would improve the game when they propose it, then I would ask that people show how a proposal would negatively impact gameplay when they raise objections. And then hopefully we'll see more discussions focussing in on gameplay issues and fewer based on misdirected ideology.

Reasonable enough?
« Last Edit: November 03, 2010, 05:35:33 AM by DocClox »

Offline ShiningRadiance

• I command thee!
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2010, 05:37:39 PM »
I find your lack of faith ... disturbing. (I always wanted to say that  :) )

Seriously though, I'm not suggesting you shouldn't say anything if you think a proposed change is a bad idea. All I'm asking is that you say how it's going to make the game worse, ratrher than simply condeming it out of hand because it limits player freedom within the game.

For example: I don't mind "I think that's a bad idea because it would increase the amount of micromanagement, and doesn't really add anything to the game".

On the other hand, I don't find any compelling argument in "That's a restriction on the player, and all restrictions are Bad"

So - sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander: If you want people to show how a change would improve the game when they propose it, then I would ask that people show how a proposal would negatively impact gameplay when they raise objections. And then hopefully we'll see more discussions focussing in on gameplay issues and fewer based on misdirected ideology.

Reasonable enough?

However, some restrictions are bad. If I explain why that restriction are bad, would you actually take that into account, or would you say something like "All restrictions are good. Your argument is flawed"? You wouldn't.

If a restriction is completely pointless, then it should not occur. If there's some real reason why it should occur, like if it forms a basis for a future change, then that's fine. But suppose you suddenly just decided you wanted to take away bondage in the game. That isn't that BAD, honestly, but there's no real REASON for it either. It's neutral. But then suppose you say "I'm taking this away because I'm going to add 3 different forms of it in the next release". That's restricting for the sake of greater versatility. On the other hand, you decide to take it away because you personally hate bondage, and think everyone else should too. That's limiting for a bad reason. I just happen to think that if an action is neutral, then it should lean, and it should lean on the side of greater freedom.

Just as not restricting for the sake of not restricting is bad, restricting for the sake of restricting is just as bad, if not worse.

Both of us seem to have this idea that the other just want to restrict the other for the sake of doing so. I doubt you'd bring this up if you didn't think so.

Offline DocClox

• Dev Team
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2010, 07:39:46 PM »
However, some restrictions are bad.

Well, yes. All I'm saying is that they aren't bad because they are restrictions. They're bad because they make the game less enjoyable.

Quote from: ShiningRadiance link=topic=575.msg11061#msg11061   date=1288820259
  Just as not restricting for the sake of not restricting is bad, restricting for the sake of restricting is just as bad, if not worse.

That's more or less the point I've been trying to make.

Quote from: ShiningRadiance link=topic=575.msg11061#msg11061   date=1288820259
    Both of us seem to have this idea that the other just want to restrict the other for the sake of doing so. I doubt you'd bring this up if you didn't think so.

As I said before, I'm commenting on a general tendency; you just gave me the opportunity to raise a subject that I'd wanted to address for some time.

Offline ShiningRadiance

• I command thee!
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2010, 09:10:48 PM »
On another note... the original poster mentioned stats for the player.

What exactly are his stats? I imagine that he does have them hidden from the player or girls fighting back wouldn't work out so well.

I'm not an expert (I'm barely an amateur at C#, and that's the only language I'm studying for now), but I'm guessing it's something like an if/else or a switch statement that says "If the player loses, do the calculations for the gang. If there's no gang, and the player loses, she escapes." If it's anything like that, then I imagine the player would have stats. If he has stats, you could probably get them to increase almost the same way as the gangs, but instead of the 'next day' button working that out, you could have actions the player takes, much like sex actions, handle that, and count the number of sex actions as 'time' slots, and put a counter as part of the main screen of every building.

Or do they increase already based on the fights he gets in? I doubt that, unless it's only victories, but even then, I don't see a reason for you even writing code that can do that since gangs are the real primary decider.

Again, I haven't looked at the code, but it seems like it would be relatively simple to write, if you haven't already.

Offline Mehzerz

• Rockin' the after life after party
« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2010, 11:09:20 PM »
On another note... the original poster mentioned stats for the player.

What exactly are his stats? I imagine that he does have them hidden from the player or girls fighting back wouldn't work out so well.

I thought someone mentioned it was straight 50's for the player. I never liked that either personally, whether you can change his stats or not doesn't matter to me. But I think picking his starting stats would be a nice little feature.
Starter girls image additions progress:
26 girls, 18 to go

Offline ShiningRadiance

• I command thee!
« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2010, 11:13:39 PM »

I thought someone mentioned it was straight 50's for the player. I never liked that either personally, whether you can change his stats or not doesn't matter to me. But I think picking his starting stats would be a nice little feature.
If you could also change his sex stats, and have that work in relation to sex with the other characters... the player could be a trainer, fighter, or with some (heavy) edits, a diplomat...

Imagine if you could make the player a politician. Put bills to a vote to change laws to trip up other businesses. Do things legally instead of taking over everything with gangs.

...It's good to dream.

Offline Mehzerz

« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2010, 11:37:39 PM »
If you could also change his sex stats, and have that work in relation to sex with the other characters... the player could be a trainer, fighter, or with some (heavy) edits, a diplomat...

Imagine if you could make the player a politician. Put bills to a vote to change laws to trip up other businesses. Do things legally instead of taking over everything with gangs.

I would totally support this. Player stats have always been a talked about feature in WM. Some people want it and some don't. If the player is supposed to be well "me" I'd like to be able to adjust and alter how I am in this world. Whether it's done by a questionnaire like Tactics Ogre or if it's done by picking classes and or stat points, I don't care.

Right now making girls into your daughter bases off all the stats on these 50's and the player character has no traits. Which seems rather silly. If anything he should have his own unique traits and YOUR set stats so if you make him super ugly but very smart your girls are going to take a massive hit in looks but be smarter.

Much like girls the player should be able to obtain his traits doing certain things. "player perks" if you will.

... It certainly is good to dream.
26 girls, 18 to go

Offline DocClox

• Dev Team
« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2010, 04:50:27 AM »
I can't get at the source at the moment, but I'm fairly certain that the game doesn't track any player stats beyond those shown; reputation, disposition and so forth.

I'd have liked to have seen some PC stats at some stage as well.

Offline Mehzerz

« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2010, 09:47:21 AM »
I can't get at the source at the moment, but I'm fairly certain that the game doesn't track any player stats beyond those shown; reputation, disposition and so forth.
Slighty off topic then...

so are daughters stats mostly just determined by their mothers value? Or do they just get their mothers traits? This may have been mentioned in another topic, if so my bad.
26 girls, 18 to go

Offline DocClox

• Dev Team
« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2010, 12:25:32 PM »
* DocClox checks source code

Hmmm... I'm wrong. The player has a full list of stats and skills, as well as ratings for suspicion, disposition and fear.

The player's agility can increase if he wins a fight. Otherwise, none of them seem to be set. Although they are saved and restored in the save file.

Offline ShiningRadiance

• I command thee!
« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2010, 05:04:38 PM »
* DocClox checks source code

Hmmm... I'm wrong. The player has a full list of stats and skills, as well as ratings for suspicion, disposition and fear.

The player's agility can increase if he wins a fight. Otherwise, none of them seem to be set. Although they are saved and restored in the save file.
Then wouldn't it be a simple matter to change the code to randomly increase one stat instead of just agility?