devolution

Author Topic: Bugs 1.29.2 (megafix)  (Read 34931 times)

Offline letmein

Bugs 1.29.2 (megafix)
« on: November 12, 2009, 02:21:21 PM »
Pregnant girls still make the talk options wacky - you fixed the first problem, but now when a girl is already pregnant the game keeps displaying the screen.
Still lurking.

Offline Command

Re: Bugs 1.29.2 (megafix)
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2009, 03:09:37 PM »
A definate improvemtnt over the last one. 

One thing thought If you could figure out a way to shorten the game start and loading process.  I'm trying to figure out if the pregancy but happens but it looks like I still have trouble with saves and pregnant girls.

Either that or the loading process time for saved games increases greatly when a girl is pregnant.

Offline letmein

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2009, 03:59:16 PM »
Game start is going to be slower depending on how many girls have, and how many pictures within them.  There's really nothing you can do about that, except for cutting down on custom girls.
Still lurking.

Offline delta224

• Dev Team
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2009, 04:45:40 PM »
Yeah, that was more of a quick fix that I did not test, will fix it some more.

The loading issue is a pain I know, I will figure out how it works and see if I can optimize it some, but don't hold your breath.

Offline letmein

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2009, 05:49:43 PM »
Two things: 

1)  Customers cannot gain health, ever.

2)  They also stay in the dungeon an extra turn after dying.  It's bothersome to have people lying around with minus health.

I haven't really been checking with girls, but I *think* they're alright.
Still lurking.

Offline Rose

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2009, 06:09:40 PM »
The sterile trait is still bugged. Girls get pregnant regardless of the trait.
The truth is out there, but it's usually pretty boring, so people make up interesting lies instead.

Offline zodiac44

• Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2009, 06:58:13 PM »
The loading issue is a pain I know, I will figure out how it works and see if I can optimize it some, but don't hold your breath.

How about breaking the load process into segments?  First load only what is required for the main screen, then the first brothel, staff, town, second, third brothels, etc.  When you have enough stuff loaded that the player can start doing things in the game, then the main screen comes up, and the loading process continues in the background.

I suspect doing this properly would require multithreading the game engine, so it probably isn't feasible unless the engine is already multithreaded (I don't see any reason why it would be), but I bring it up anyway just in case.
Capitalization is the difference between "I had to help my uncle Jack off a horse" and "I had to help my uncle jack off a horse."

Offline delta224

• Dev Team
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2009, 08:10:21 PM »
I am think of doing something simmilar which would not involve multithreading, but there is no real way of testing the preformance hit overall of my plan, since it would be dependent on the hard disk read speed, also it might me a PITA to do, it all depends on a lot of factors.

I will need to dive deep into code that I really have not touched because no real bugs have been found so far in that portion of code.

Also all bugs noted so far have been fixed and the girls had the same problem as the customers.

edit- I think my plan will work, I need to do a few more tests, but if it does work it would drastically load times.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2009, 08:28:47 PM by delta224 »

Offline Midnight_Amratha

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2009, 08:41:38 PM »
setting house rate to 80% and carrera still hands in 100%. found a few non-branded girls on very poor housing and 100% hand in they were all from catching from catacombs, intentional?
The line between lunacy and genious is very thin.
So far i haven't been able to find it.

Offline zodiac44

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2009, 09:04:34 PM »
Hard disk read speed shouldn't have any measurable effect on loading times...the save files are far too small for that.  The read times should be in milliseconds, tenths of a second at worst.
Capitalization is the difference between "I had to help my uncle Jack off a horse" and "I had to help my uncle jack off a horse."

Offline delta224

• Dev Team
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2009, 10:32:31 PM »
OK I've implemented my plan since it was not that hard to do. My worry about hard drive speed was unfounded, since part of my plan was already implemnted into the engine. 

The reason it takes so long to load, was that the method necro was using to detect what pictures a girl has, involved opening all the pictures, now that has been fixed and the .jpeg issue has been resolved as well.

My method still needs a little work but should be much faster.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2009, 10:34:27 PM by delta224 »

Offline zodiac44

« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2009, 10:36:31 PM »
o.O  I can see why that could cause a massive increase in load times.  I figured it was being really inefficient at parsing the save file.

Offline delta224

• Dev Team
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2009, 10:45:31 PM »
even before I got the code, I had a feeling that was how it was being loaded.   Based on the preformance and reliablity monitor tool of vista and windows 7, I saw that, as the game was loading I saw that the images were being read from the hard drive, which tipped me off on how it was being loaded, but without the code I could not be sure.  I was meaning to change it, but have been busy and did not want to include more bugs at the time.

Offline sgb

« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2009, 11:46:50 PM »
Looking good so far this version.  Two quick things I've noticed:
-The Dependent trait instantly drops a girls rebeliousness to -100.  I don't think it was intended to be that strong.  Possibly mixed up with the intended effect of Controlled?
-Item transfer from girl to girl is borked.  The girl transferring the item doesn't lose it, and the girl receiving it gets her first item slot overwritten instead of having the item added.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2009, 12:09:49 AM by sgb »

Offline letmein

« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2009, 01:09:15 AM »
When girls are born and come of age, they don't start at full health - I have two theories:  one, they're being thrown into the dungeon and resist, or two, they are given 100% health for zero constitution, and when their hereditary bonuses kick in their total health increases, but their starting health doesn't.

Speaking of that - there isn't a trait for generic daughters yet, only PC daughters.  Obviously this is more of necno's realm than yours, delta, but as long as I was posting...

Other bugs, with the item system:  sgb caught the one for item transfer, but there are a couple others.  First, girls are no longer buying things on their own.  Second, items that affect the whole brothel don't work, at all.  Girls won't equip them.
Still lurking.