devolution

Author Topic: Load fail on consecutive days  (Read 8860 times)

Offline Midnight_Amratha

Load fail on consecutive days
« on: March 21, 2010, 09:28:46 AM »
not sure why but after saving extensively (often several times in a play) i get a locked game on load on the next day i want to play the game, the game simply locks down and refuses to load that saved game. of the top of my head, is the gamelog file too big or what?
The line between lunacy and genious is very thin.
So far i haven't been able to find it.

Offline DocClox

• Dev Team
  • Messing Around With Python
Re: Load fail on consecutive days
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2010, 11:12:17 AM »
that's a new one. Can you post the save and gamelog?

Offline zodiac44

• Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2010, 10:46:27 PM »
Is it loading the game and then freezing when you hit next day, or is it freezing during the loading process?  If it is the latter, then most likely you have a corrupted save file.  Post your save as an attachment (just the .gam file, we don't need the .mast.gam) and I'll test it out.
Capitalization is the difference between "I had to help my uncle Jack off a horse" and "I had to help my uncle jack off a horse."

Offline Midnight_Amratha

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2010, 03:16:56 PM »
sounds like what you say is a corrupted save file, have a look at it.

Offline delta224

• Dev Team
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2010, 03:55:46 PM »
Yeah, I I've forgotten the save file structure it will a while for me to fix it.

grumbles about making a script to do all this for me.

Offline zodiac44

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2010, 05:02:37 PM »
Well, looking over the save file, nothing jumps out at me as broken.  I loaded the game and it seems to be working just fine for me.  I did notice that multiple girls were pregnant, so you could have stumbled on to another incarnation of the giving birth/coming of age bug.  I have my pregnancy and coming of age timers set to 1 week for testing purposes and didn't experience any problems, though.
Capitalization is the difference between "I had to help my uncle Jack off a horse" and "I had to help my uncle jack off a horse."

Offline DocClox

• Dev Team
  • Messing Around With Python
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2010, 05:17:52 PM »
Interesting. I wonder if it's a combination of config file setting and save file? Like the save file is broken, but only if the config file sets X, Y and Z?

Offline zodiac44

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2010, 06:40:57 PM »
Could be.   Midnight_Amratha, could you attach the config file you are using?  I'll test to see if that's the case.

Offline Midnight_Amratha

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2010, 01:59:32 PM »
sure thing

Offline zodiac44

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2010, 03:02:06 PM »
Well, I tried your config file and I still can't replicate the problem.  Are you using a version other than v1.29.4.6?  Are you using any custom items or item packs?  Have you been cursed by a voodoo priest?

Offline Midnight_Amratha

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2010, 03:47:26 PM »
well i did have the voodoo priest on a visit but the mirror spooked him so i haven't seen more of him, apart from that i use the package of items from WM editor and a few girl packages, and apart from adding my own sterility removal package i haven't touched it. i'll try and attach the gamelog now

Offline zodiac44

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2010, 04:55:22 PM »
The game log doesn't reveal anything interesting, as near as I can tell.

Looking closer at the save, I found a problem where the names of the last two brothels were dropped from the file for some reason.  I don't know if that was causing your crash problem or not, but I fixed the problem (fixed save attached, brothels are named "Whateva" and "Otha Whateva" - you can edit the save file and rename them).  Try using the fixed save and see if that helps.

Offline Midnight_Amratha

« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2010, 05:05:37 PM »
not sure if that did it but now i'm able to load the game :) what happens next when i buy the next brothel and the names are deleted? except the first name i mean.

yups, when i bought a new brothel, the name of brothel 2 was replaced while the new brothel is unnamed. not sure if that tells you something about where the flaw might be.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2010, 05:45:20 PM by Midnight_Amratha »

Offline zodiac44

« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2010, 06:40:46 PM »
It's a known bug - I don't know if it has been fixed in the dev builds or not, though.  You can edit the save file to fix the problem, though it takes a bit of searching.  To fix a missing name, in the game, find the name of the first girl in the brothel, and then find her in the save file.  There should be a blank line 9 lines or so above her entry in the file - this is where the brothel name goes (the following line should have 6 numbers, and they are probably all 0's).  If the brothel is empty, search for the name of the last girl in the list of the previous brothel, then find the blank line after her entry.  If the brothel was just purchased and there are no girls in it yet, it's entry will be at the bottom of the save file, prior to the list of script files.

Offline renzor

« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2010, 07:03:16 PM »
I got the same issue here no matter how many times i reload the program my game always crashes the very next week without fail. The very last event i remember happening is that a new rival appeared in town (the knife-happy former liutenant) and that i set all but one of my goons to 'sabotage'. Here are my files, If I need to post anything else let me know.