Author Topic: Bugs 1.29  (Read 50666 times)

Offline jason2003

Re: Bugs 1.29
« Reply #60 on: October 31, 2009, 08:23:09 PM »
The error has been corrected now, the game crashes if I have a week imagine

Offline letmein

« Reply #61 on: October 31, 2009, 09:40:57 PM »
Quote from: Jacko link=topic=52.msg503#msg503
Hi, new user.

I wrote a long post but it was eaten by the internet. :(
Love the game, here are some thoughts.

I prefer the behavior in 1.29 to .28. Its more exciting, but a little erratic.
Moststats are meaningless when it comes to affecting game play. Tired andhappy are the only truly important stats, which makes the game a bitbland. Stats and traits should enhance game play or be removed.Example: My lesbian girl bangs guys all the time. Even if she doesn'tlike it, who cares? She still does it so its not really that important.These traits should have noticeable gameplay consequences. Right nowthey just feel like filler.

When girls refuse to work I'd loveto know why. If its not only a product of rebelliousness the girlshould tell us what the problem is, either right then and there ("I'mnot that type of girl!" -rebellious + low skills "I don't want to workfor an ass like you." -rebellious+hate "I'm too tired to work today"-rebellious + tired "Are you fucking Hitomi! I thought you loved me!"-rebellious + jealousy) or as a talk option after the shift such as,CHAT - "Why didn't you show up to work?"  Chat can have other uses suchas asking the girl what her problems are. CHAT- "Is something botheringyou?"
"Nothing...I just want to be alone..." (depressed)
"What do you care?" (neglected)
"Hee Hee! I can see the whole universe being born...its like a symphony of fire... (fairy dust addiction)
"Fuck you." (Rebellious + hate)

Ithink just little things like this, using the voice of the characterwhether sexy, timid, etc., would do a ton for immersion and turn itmore into a simulation than a mangement exercise.
I'd really liketo get to know my girls better, and while they have many "traits" thatdefine them, the only thing that feels different about them are thepics.

1.29 adds more intersting behavior for the girls, andalthough its a little unpredictable, one of my girls actually developed"character" during the course of gameplay, as she forced me to imprisonher a few times, becoming the story of the "problem" slave.  At leastit was interesting! "You refuse to work again Hitomi! Remember whathappened last time!?"

Some more observations:

Girls neverget to EXP lvl 1? I have a few girls with 200+xp and still level 1. Isthere a point to levels? If so it doesnt emerge in the gameplay, whichmakes it pointless.

How do I win? It should be made more clear.I need a list of my rivals and the size of their territory and theiractions in a summary. IF it is truly importatnt to gameplay. (Which itshould be since its the goal of the game.)

If a stat doesnt havea use that enhances or at least influences gameplay, remove it. Itspointless that my girl has a nice arse if I can't tell how that helpsor hinders me. Make it important that my girl has a nice arse. (BECAUSENICE ARSES ARE IMPORTANT!!!) :D

Does gambling work? I never make any money with it. Good idea but at the moment not fleshed out enough.

How does fame work? Is there a benefit to fame? Disadvantages? It has no effect on gameplay. How do you get it?

Accommodations are not mentioned in the manual and I have no idea what they do or how they affect game play.

Weneed a detailed stat screen for the girls. I read that "looks" are afactor of several other stats like charisma. They are hidden? I don'tget it. Ugly girls are not noticibly different from gorgeous ones froma gameplay perspective, when in reality it should make a hugedifference in a whorehouse.

I need a place to put my personalharem of girls. Some girls I dont want to be whores, I want them to bemy wives. When I impregnate a girl IU usually take her off work thewhole term. It would be nice for her not to take up space in mybrothel. Maybe as a treat you could move some girls to the playersresidence. Which we need!

It would be nice to have some pics forgang activites. Instead of "Training" or "Guarding" written in text,maybe text and a picture? Like some anime dudes gun fighting orsomething? Or kidnapping a girl? Just some flavor.

Music and sfx? Maybe not needed.

EDIT: I knew I'd forget something...
Itwould be really nice if we could set the fee the customer has to pay.30 for sex, 50 for anal, 80 for SM, 150 for beast etc. I think it wouldmake gameplay more interesting and give us more of a hand in the fiscalmanagement of the brothel.

Also, 1.29 is unplayable becauseof the 2nd brothel bug. Which sucks because I want to play! I washoping I could get 1.28 off the site but no link! Perhaps you couldhost the last "playable" version in addition to the new update so wecan still play if something is fubar (1.29 *cough*).

Sorryif this sounds a bit harsh, buit I wrote a post about as long as thisone before and the internet ate it. Take it as a compliment that Ispent antother 30 minutes writing another post. :)

Ireally like the game, I've played it for maybe 10-15 hours already andits a lot of fun, but I think it could be excellent with a little morepolish. If you have the capacity to delegate, I have the capacity towork on your project if you want. I can't code...yeah I know, big help,but I can write dialogue and gameplay messages that will be clear andimformative. The intro needs some work, as a sample I can rewrite thatand send it to you to see what you think. I know another poster on thisbored mentioned something to the same affect, maybe we can collaborateand run it past you.

Thanks for making a great game! Its a lot of fun! And hurry up with 1.29 hotfix! I want to play!  :'(
If you had looked around a bit more, you would have found out quite a few things. You want to set the price customers have to pay for each girl? with full brothels that can get to 50+ girls, all with different stats and traits and skill levels which constantly changes the price customers would pay. It would add a HORRIBLE amount of micromanagement.

Music and sound effects in a sim like this are just obnoxious, see Slavemaker.

Pics for gangs are fluff, and probably hard to find.

Having your own house you can put girls in is ALREADY A PLANNED FEATURE. It's on the to be added list I believe. I suggest looking at it before suggesting any additions.

And a whether a girl is ugly or gorgeous DOES affect her price GREATLY, although this can be overcome with difficulty with a high charisma and traits and training/levels. You're not supposed to be able to see all the stats, because, can YOU tell all of a girls strengths and weaknesses and attributes just by looking at her?

Go look up accommodations in the dictionary, that's pretty much what they are, the higher its set the more expensive it is, but the happier girls are.

Fame isn't really implemented yet, but it is going to affect how many customers come in, and stuff like that.

gambling is sorta... useless at the moment...

Notice how when you highlight the nice arse trait, next to it it says (+fetish)? thats what it does, customers who have a fetish for nice asses, will come to this girl. And who cares if a trait doesn't have a huge affect on gameplay? you're the one who says you want more girl development, traits do this to a small degree, you can even make your own traits. (although they won't have any gameplay affect at all) Traits are mainly there to dictate which types of customers will bang her. Or affecting stats slightly. if it weren't for traits, customers would just bang anything, and you could fill brothel with cookie cutter girls that are all the same, with the only differeance being their pictures.

Go to the town hall, there you see a List of gangs and their general influence in the city. And it says in the intro you have to defeat them.

Girls exp is stil WIP, in .29 its bugged.

Girls behavior is currently being expanded, and there are going to be custom events and scripting for unique girls.

Next time you spend an hour writing posts, you should probably look around more and remember that the game is a BETA, oh and instead of just saying traits don't affect anything and should be removed, make an actual suggestion on how to improve them.

Now, now, exodia...  play nice.

Jacko, I always like to see new and involved people, but you have to remember that the game is very much a work in progress.  These things take time, especially as necno is doing this pretty much all on his own with no expectation of recompense.  That being said, there are indeed several points where there is a clear possibilty for improvement, and many of those are already known to necno and the forum at large.  I would suggest that you take a look at the "Todo.txt" file in the download to get an idea of where the game is going, as well as the "Changelog.txt" to know where it has been.

Oh, and one point I'd like to bring up:  I fully agree with you exodia that music/sounds would just be an annoyance.  No matter what you do, they become repetitive, and for a simulation like this they wouldn't add anything.  There are a lot more things that deserve attention before adding sound.

Still lurking.

Offline letmein

« Reply #62 on: November 01, 2009, 01:37:13 AM »
inherited skills are capped at 20

Not a bug, per se, but does anyone else think this is a bit odd?  I guess it *is* only skills, not traits, but in my opinion it should either be higher or lower depending on your logic.  If you say "the daughter doesn't have any of her mom's experience", then it should almost just be set to zero.  If, on the other hand, you claim that "the mom trains her daughter well" then why shouldn't it be higher?

I know that's kind of just waffling around with no real result, but I saw this and it just bothered me for some reason.
Still lurking.

Offline DocClox

• Dev Team
  • Messing Around With Python
« Reply #63 on: November 01, 2009, 02:18:06 AM »
Not a bug, per se, but does anyone else think this is a bit odd?  I guess it *is* only skills, not traits, but in my opinion it should either be higher or lower depending on your logic.  If you say "the daughter doesn't have any of her mom's experience", then it should almost just be set to zero.  If, on the other hand, you claim that "the mom trains her daughter well" then why shouldn't it be higher?

A good way to handle that would be to cap the inheritance bonus to 20. So the girl gets the usual random skill allocation, then adds on 20% of (say) her mother's best three skills.

[edit]
Another bug: When a girl goes all Rambo, wipes out the goon squad and runs for the hills. sometimes she turns up on the runaway list (and so can be recaptured), and sometimes she doesn't.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2009, 07:55:44 AM by DocClox »

Offline Kystos

« Reply #64 on: November 01, 2009, 08:37:22 AM »
I can't load any save games. When I try it the game stops responding, whoremaster.exe spikes in memory usage (up to 1,9 Gb) and shuts down (no error message).
It does that each time I save and stop the game.
All save files are above 50 kb though.
It's a man's life in the Goon Squads

Offline DocClox

• Dev Team
  • Messing Around With Python
« Reply #65 on: November 01, 2009, 08:45:21 AM »
Apparently saves are bugged if any of the girls get pregnant.

Offline Kystos

« Reply #66 on: November 01, 2009, 10:38:13 AM »
Oh.
Any way to fix them? Or any place to get version 1.28 back?
It's a man's life in the Goon Squads

Offline letmein

« Reply #67 on: November 01, 2009, 11:11:07 AM »
Um... not anywhere I know of.  necno was originally going to do a quickfix release this past Friday, but I suspect he either forgot or became too involved in coding new toys to stop and quash bugs.
Still lurking.

Offline Kalebon

« Reply #68 on: November 01, 2009, 03:33:37 PM »
found a bug where the pregnancy counter does not lower in numbers.

Offline Alugere

« Reply #69 on: November 01, 2009, 06:57:32 PM »
found a bug where the pregnancy counter does not lower in numbers.

What were you doing at the time that might cause this? Saying that a bug might exist doesn't help fix it unless you give the programmer a place to look.

Offline Kalebon

« Reply #70 on: November 01, 2009, 07:53:13 PM »
What were you doing at the time that might cause this? Saying that a bug might exist doesn't help fix it unless you give the programmer a place to look.

I used one of the custom items that allows you to impregnate a girl with your child. (home impregnation kit from one of the item packs.)

Offline necno

• Core Developer
« Reply #71 on: November 01, 2009, 08:43:38 PM »
Hmmm actually it is easy for coders the make sounds non-repetitive even with just 1 sound effect, it is just generally overlooked as making a set of sound effects requires less time and cost then coding a decent sound system.
It requires some nifty manipulation during playback of the sound effect however and as sound programming is currently something I've had very little experience with it isn't something I will attempt anytime soon.
Click here to donate
After you do so please pm me the email address you used so I can add you to the donation forum.

Working on:
Whoremaster II (Official)
Birthright (Now a commercial rougelike)

Offline Jacko

« Reply #72 on: November 01, 2009, 10:29:20 PM »
"Next time you spend an hour writing posts, you should probably lookaround more and remember that the game is a BETA, oh and instead ofjust saying traits don't affect anything and should be removed, make anactual suggestion on how to improve them."

No reason to get butthurt. I was just providing constructive criticism. Like I said I think the game is great and would love to see it grow and improve. I wouldn't have spent an hour writing two posts if I thought the game was shit. These are just my observations and being that this is a ""BETA"" I thought they would be welcome.

Thanks for the tip on adding rooms, I forgot about that feature.
Music can be annoying, thats why I added the caveat "maybe not needed".

Offline letmein

« Reply #73 on: November 01, 2009, 10:38:52 PM »
As I said, new input is indeed welcome.  Just... spend twenty minutes and see if you can find references to your complaints *before* you make them next time.  Some people get frustrated when they hear the same thing, over and over, from people with a post count of one or two.
Still lurking.

Offline Rose

« Reply #74 on: November 02, 2009, 12:15:03 AM »
Music for Whore Master in three easy steps:

1. Find some music you want to listen to while playing.

2. Load it up in your favorite media player.

3. Press play and let it run in the background while playing the game.

As for sound effects... Well, I don't think this game really needs any. It's a very visual game
The truth is out there, but it's usually pretty boring, so people make up interesting lies instead.