Author Topic: Rebelliousness and refusing to work  (Read 10873 times)

Offline sgb

Re: Rebelliousness and refusing to work
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2010, 10:37:20 PM »
Being able to set initial likes and dislikes would be great, though it seems like something that shouldn't be a dev concern until all the new jobs actually do something.

And yeah, the girl's interest in combat is definitely affecting her combat rolls.  It seems if a girl losses once, it becomes extremely unlikely she can win until you raise it back to a neutral like status through Security work.  And this would be totally fine, except Security doesn't currently do anything but raise combat interest, which kind of sucks.

I think different players want different amount of rebelliousness.  Some   people want a pokemon sim, some people want a control sim.
It's not that anyone wants rebelliousness to do nothing, but that the logic of it causing girls to refuse to work at all doesn't really make sense.  Having it result in lowered performance, causing free girls to quit, lowering the brothels fame (due to bad service), or something along those lines just makes more logical sense.

Offline Lorde

• Accepting requests for girl expansion packs.
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2010, 10:43:42 PM »
And this would be totally fine, except Security doesn't currently do anything but raise combat interest, which kind of sucks.

Isn't security used to stop rape in the brothel?
Current Girl Work Schedule            
* Revy  (Black Lagoon)
* Stab at The series He is my Master
* Run Elsie Jewelria and Yuuki Rito (To Love Ru)
* Yukari Takeba (Persona 3)
* Work on the Code Geass girls

Offline fixet

« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2010, 09:05:48 AM »
why are you even using reality/sense/probability as arguments?

virtually nothing in the game makes "sense"

Offline DocClox

• Dev Team
  • Messing Around With Python
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2010, 09:57:39 AM »
why are you even using reality/sense/probability as arguments?

There's a balance to be observed. Realism and common sense are perfectly valid arguments; it's just that they're not the only consideration.

We want a game that reflects people's expectations based on their experiences in real life, so to that extent, "reality" is a useful touchstone. On the other hand, the game needs to be both fun and finite. So we make some compromises to make the game more enjoyable than a strictly realistic implementation might require, and we take some shortcuts in accounting so we don't need to every individual atom in the universe when adjudicating outcomes.  And of course, we have a fantasy setting, so we have things like magical slave tattoos and rituals of domination, for example. But even there we strive to be consistent in how we handle the fantastic elements of the game.

It's a trade off. I don't think we do too badly, on the whole.

virtually nothing in the game makes "sense"

I think that's a little overstated. Lots of things in the game make sense. When you buy things, you have less money as a result. When others attack your organisation, your people get hurt and killed. People are willing to pay to have sex, and the better the girls are, the more money they can make. Giving a girl chocolate and flowers tends to make them like you. The game wouldn't be recognisable as a sim if there wasn't some level of correspondence to the real world.

And while it's true there are places where things don't go as real life might suggest, that doesn't mean we should abandon reality as a measuring stick. We just need to bear in mind that there are other factors that need to be considered

Offline fixet

« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2010, 11:30:48 AM »
no need to take it so literally, I even air-quoted the word "sense"

giving the girls flowers doesn't make them "like" you, it makes them believe you are their true love
hell, anything short of incarceration makes them believe you are their one true love

and "sense" is pretty subjective here
to sgb, it makes sense for the slaves to be unable to refuse an order, while to Bluebeholder the opposite is true
and they are both valid opinions

you shouldn't go into this with the idea that it should make sense, but rather how it will affect gameplay and entertainment value
to sgb, the sensible approach is "without a player personality the logic has to lean towards 'what's most likely'", to me it's "let the player decide what the play wants"
I would prefer if all restrictions were minimized, if not outright erased, and instead introduce consequences
"you know that slave you made a matron? well she doesn't fear you all that much, and she helped some slaves escape. oh, and that was 3 days ago, we just found out. so no loading"

Offline DocClox

• Dev Team
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2010, 12:36:18 PM »
no need to take it so literally, I even air-quoted the word "sense"

I thought you had a point that was worth addressing.

giving the girls flowers doesn't make them "like" you, it makes them believe you are their true love
hell, anything short of incarceration makes them believe you are their one true love

Sure. That's what I mean about compromise. If the game was to try and model the full complexity of human emotional response, it would be huge. So we have to take a few shortcuts. It's like making a map - you don't do it at 1:1 scale.

and "sense" is pretty subjective here
to sgb, it makes sense for the slaves to be unable to refuse an order, while to Bluebeholder the opposite is true
and they are both valid opinions

And it's important to recognise that. However that doesn't mean that "common sense" isn't a useful benchmark, so long as we recognise that we're talking about a consensus rather than one individual's opinion.

That said, unless we get individual opinions, we never get a chance to determine where the consensus lies. The bottom line is that you can't throw out an argument purely because it appeals to common sense, any more than you can because it violates the same.

you shouldn't go into this with the idea that it should make sense, but rather how it will affect gameplay and entertainment value
to sgb, the sensible approach is "without a player personality the logic has to lean towards 'what's most likely'", to me it's "let the player decide what the play wants"

Hard to argue with the principle there, but it is kind of tricky to establish in advance, though. And consistency and observing the principle of least surprise are generally things that software users do want. So there is a case for modelling reality.

I would prefer if all restrictions were minimized, if not outright erased, and instead introduce consequences
"you know that slave you made a matron? well she doesn't fear you all that much, and she helped some slaves escape. oh, and that was 3 days ago, we just found out. so no loading"

Hmmm... I if I tried something like that, I'd expect complaints about how I was trying to force a particular playing style on the player. I think restriction is something else that has a significant subjective element. Or maybe it's just a case of direct vs. indirect restriction. Do we prefer to forbid an action outright, or is it better to make the action so punitive in its consequences as to make it effectively worthless? There's a place for both approaches, I'd have said.

For instance, you could do away with the restriction that you can't go overdrawn at the bank and replace it with consequences. Maybe the bankers try and have you killed, with assassination attempts becoming more frequent the more you owe. Is that really better? Certainly it's a lot of code that doesn't really add very much to the game. Or we could go for a lessdramatic approach and add a system of interest charges, and repossession orders ... but that ends up more complex than the assassination approach and is even less fun for the player.

On the other hand, you can just stop the player from taking out more money than he put in. The bank then behaves as people expect banks to behave, and everyone is happy. 

Offline fixet

« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2010, 01:50:14 PM »
Or maybe it's just a case of direct vs. indirect restriction. Do we prefer to forbid an action outright, or is it better to make the action so punitive in its consequences as to make it effectively worthless?
not exactly what I meant

the severity of the consequences would depend on the girl's stats
in the example I gave, it would be fear
if the matron is a slave that has 100 love, -100 rebelliousness, 100 obedience, etc. she does the job with no penalties to the outcome
but if you kidnap a girl from her home, slap a slave brand on her, make her a matron and just call it a day, she will fuck you up

Hmmm... I if I tried something like that, I'd expect complaints about how I was trying to force a particular playing style on the player.
usually, I wouldn't even doubt that, but I don't think it holds true in this case
it is not any more restrictive than the way the game works now

and, even though  there have been complaints about the free-slave thing, I still play all my games free-only
there is just more satisfaction in making them obedient, than just enslaving them

if anything, this would make room for more playing styles

Offline DocClox

• Dev Team
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2010, 02:41:34 PM »
if the matron is a slave that has 100 love, -100 rebelliousness, 100 obedience, etc. she does the job with no penalties to the outcome
but if you kidnap a girl from her home, slap a slave brand on her, make her a matron and just call it a day, she will fuck you up

Can't argue with that; I'd considered implementing something along those lines myself. The point I wanted to make was that both direct and indirect restrictions have their place.

usually, I wouldn't even doubt that, but I don't think it holds true in this case
it is not any more restrictive than the way the game works now

The thing that would really raise the protests would be the proposed three day delay intended to prevent reloading :)

and, even though  there have been complaints about the free-slave thing, I still play all my games free-only
there is just more satisfaction in making them obedient, than just enslaving them

if anything, this would make room for more playing styles

Well, it's a purely theoretical question so far as I'm concerned. I'm not adding any new features beyond those on my to-do list at the moment.