Author Topic: SteamPunk Gang Mask  (Read 5963 times)

Offline hewhocumsbynight

• All Hail the Crimson King!
SteamPunk Gang Mask
« on: November 05, 2013, 09:14:37 PM »
Here's a few ideas for DocClox's new Abby's Crossing project.
My MEGA folder can be found at:  https://mega.co.nz/#F!EYhAgTyI!keiMX47NrnGOEozwNb2Vfg

Torrent link of my version, effective September, 2016:  magnet:?xt=urn:btih:4606F11A1C216337D7F3DFD6716307F48CFB996A&dn=WhoreMaster.06.02.29&tr=udp%3a%2f%2ftracker.openbittorrent.com%3a80

Offline hewhocumsbynight

Re: SteamPunk Gang Mask
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2013, 09:15:26 PM »
Not sure why I named this "Mask" instead of "Names"
My MEGA folder can be found at:  https://mega.co.nz/#F!EYhAgTyI!keiMX47NrnGOEozwNb2Vfg

Torrent link of my version, effective September, 2016:  magnet:?xt=urn:btih:4606F11A1C216337D7F3DFD6716307F48CFB996A&dn=WhoreMaster.06.02.29&tr=udp%3a%2f%2ftracker.openbittorrent.com%3a80

Offline DocClox

• Dev Team
  • Messing Around With Python
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2013, 11:58:40 PM »
I like 'em! :)

Airship Pirates ... now there's a scripted event to consider :)

Offline hewhocumsbynight

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2013, 12:11:43 AM »
I like 'em! :)

That would be absolutely amazing.  There is nothing a dirigible cannot improve.

Offline rudistoned

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2013, 04:50:02 PM »
Any idea how you want to handle scripted events in Abby's Crossing? Ren'Py has a very nice system for that. Unfortunately it's one of the core systems, so extracting it did not look trivial, but I have not researched it thoroughly. I'm also in the process of designing/writing a system for scripted events for my own game here. Maybe we could cooperate? Or you can just take what you need (if anything) from sourceforge and build your own system.

Offline DocClox

• Dev Team
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2013, 05:15:05 PM »
Any idea how you want to handle scripted events in Abby's Crossing?

I was thinking of just doing them VN style. My first tilt at WMAC was using Ren'Py and I'm going miss that.

That said, I've done a couple of these thing before, for Clonemaster (which was about as far as I got) and on a flash game before that. Otherworld too, although that was mainly refining daisy's existing system. I did have quite a nice event builder/tester somewhere in svn a some point which might be of interest. Although having looked at renpy, we can probably do better than XML for the format.

I'm also in the process of designing/writing a system for scripted events for my own game here. Maybe we could cooperate? Or you can just take what you need (if anything) from sourceforge and build your own system.

Could do. The basics of the narrative are fairly straightforward from what I remember. Getting the conversation trees represented and parsed was harder, and adding any sort of conditions and/or logic was a bit of a nightmare - but that was with XML of course.

visually, I have a image in mind for how I want it all to look - but we'll each want to skin things differently.

Want be to take a punt at it? I'll need to do it sooner or later, and there are a couple of opening scenes I could do right now.

Offline rudistoned

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2013, 05:43:11 PM »
I'd definitely be interested in how you would do that. As far as I'm concerned, I would build the system in a way that separates the display from the logic and data, so displaying/skinning the events in different ways would not be a problem.

I always felt that XML was kind of problematic as a format for game scripts (like events or jobs in Otherworld) because it does not offer flow control and comparison operators. Of course these were added, but it still felt quite clumsy in comparison to Python scripting.

So ripping Ren'Pys scripting language out and (ab)using it for our projects is out of the question for you? I'm not saying that's the best course of action (not even absolutely sure its feasible), but it seems tempting to me if it would work.

Offline DocClox

• Dev Team
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2013, 06:03:47 PM »
So ripping Ren'Pys scripting language out and (ab)using it for our projects is out of the question for you? I'm not saying that's the best course of action (not even absolutely sure its feasible), but it seems tempting to me if it would work.

I didn't say that! :)

Although I was thinking more in terms of writing a domain specific language (DSL) similar to the one Ren'Py uses. I gather Python is quite good for that sort of thing. I did something similar once in Boo and the same approach should work in python.

That said, if you can get the Ren'Py system disentangled from the rest of it, I'll be happy to use that :)

Offline DocClox

• Dev Team
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2013, 02:08:58 AM »
That reminds me, do you have/are you planning on porting Otherworld's auction system? I'd like to have occasional Otherworld style auctions, but I've been sitting on my hands and telling myself to do the WM functionality first.

But if you've got the code, I'd love to use it

Offline rudistoned

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2013, 03:29:39 AM »
I've posted my interim results regarding the renpy scripting language in this thread.

I am planning to have some kind of auctions in Pytherworld, most likely like those in Otherworld. Sadly, I have not done anything for that so far. I'd be happy if we can implement those in Python and use them in both our games, but before I start working on that I'd like to get the event system done because that has been on my mind/blocking progress for too long already. Of course, the event system looks quite a lot bigger than an auction system, so getting the auctions out before that has its charms too. What do you think?

In any case, I think we should continue our discussion on both the auctions and the event scripting system in the thread I linked above. We have derailed this thread enough already. Sorry about that  :(