Game Editing And Additions > User Mods

New City: Abby's Prospect (Speculative)

(1/5) > >>

DocClox:
I'm opening this thread at the request of exodia91 following on from a discussion in New Features.

The plan is to some features to the game to enable modders to write new screens, and ultimately new cities for the PC to dominate.  To this end I want to add XML interface files; the ability to add user defined graphics, buttons and screens; and Lua scripting so you can attach scripts to buttons.

For a proof of concept, I plan to do a city mod called Abby's Prospect using my steampunk interface mod as a starting point.

Abby's Prospect is a trading city which has come to attract some of the more scientific elements among the refugees that wind up stranded in Mundiga. Like Crossgate, the city has a strong criminal element, although the gangs don't rule to quite the same extent.  There are civil authorities to consider, as well as the remnants of the demon worship cult that once ran the city, back in the days when it used to trade directly with Hell.

The city's scientists and inventors were first encouraged to settle here in the hopes that the well known antagonism between science and magic might help keep the cult from re-establishing itself. It's a strategy that's been successful. Up to now, that is. If the player wants to control the city, he's going to need to involve himself in a struggle between magic and science, and Heaven and Hell.

I want to stress that, at this time, this is speculative. I need to code up some new features for the game to enable all this, and until I get that done, nothing is going to happen as regards the mod itself.

Savagefrog:
Sounds very interesting.

Fstop:
What exactly are you trying to do with this just expand the current map with another location (with like a button to travel there)
or are you trying to make a completely new story separated from the first one
or are you just trying to see what limit you can push this program  to (mechanic wise)

DocClox:

--- Quote from: Fstop on November 08, 2009, 07:19:32 AM ---What exactly are you trying to do with this just expand the current map with another location (with like a button to travel there)
or are you trying to make a completely new story separated from the first one
or are you just trying to see what limit you can push this program  to (mechanic wise)

--- End quote ---

B and C, I think. I want to expand the moddability of the game almost to the point where it's possible to make total conversion mods. And then to show it works, I want to tell another story - sort of "OK, you won in Crossgate, have a go with another city where the rules are a little different."

It all basically grew out of playing with the UI mod and thinking "it would be cool if we could do such and such...". I wanted to be able to add images; I wanted to be able to add my own buttons; and I wanted to be able to write scripts and attach them to buttons.

And if we can do all that, it's a small step to writing whole new screens and potentially making a Counterstrike to WM's Half-Life. Or a whole lot of them, even, since I doubt I'll be the only one making mods.

EternalEquinox:
I was reading the conversation between you and exodia and i think this will be rather interesting to see what you come up with. The idea of going to other towns allows room to grow. Now it might seem a bit cumbersome, but in the future it will be welcomed. With necro make all those new jobs. You could potentially set up some sort of trade feature, or only certain girls or items appear in certain towns. the possibilities at that point become vast

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version