devolution

Author Topic: Whore Master Editor 0.7.1  (Read 206335 times)

Offline Solo761

• Administrator
Re: Whore Master Editor 0.64
« Reply #45 on: December 15, 2009, 06:02:47 AM »
There's nothing in the code to differentiate between small changes and big ones. Application stores entries in table and all changes modify this table. When you press save it simply saves data from this table to file. Before there were problems because app didn't check if file exists so there were some strange things happening. But now it deletes bak file if it exists, then renames original file to bak and saves in completely new file.

I changed something it the way it's loaded maybe it'll help.

Offline sgb

Re: Whore Master Editor 0.65
« Reply #46 on: December 15, 2009, 05:31:31 PM »
There's nothing in the code to differentiate between small changes and big ones
I know that logically, yet the only time I encounter this is when I make 1-2 stat changes and try to save.  I'll see if it still occurs in the new version.

Offline Solo761

• Administrator
Re: Whore Master Editor 0.66
« Reply #47 on: December 31, 2009, 08:43:54 PM »
UL-ed new version. Added support for editing config.xml.

Offline DocClox

• Dev Team
  • Messing Around With Python
« Reply #48 on: December 31, 2009, 08:54:50 PM »
Did you get everything you needed from the xml comments? I was just looking to see if I needed to add anything, but most of it looked pretty obvious.

Offline Solo761

• Administrator
« Reply #49 on: January 01, 2010, 08:35:26 AM »
So far editor can only load and save config.xml. Nothing more so far, I've only made textboxes for every value in xml file.

I guess game accepts only values like 0.5, and not 0,5? And for those decimal values, will it accept int numbers, without .x? That's what's troubling me the most at the moment, limiting what can be entered. I thought of using masked textboxes, but that would limit it too much (like it accepts only xx.x, or x.x). I guess I'll have to add .0 automatically at save time if it's missing from those textboxes.

Btw

I've been studying C++ a little. And from what I can tell there isn't a nice way to design GUI like there is with with C#, if I don't want .net app, I can, of course, use C++ to write .net app, designer works then. With C# I just arrange all the elements (labels, lists, textboxes, dropmenus...) and then just write some code to make everything work (more or less) as I want to.
Now, if I want to make win app I would need to use MFC, and design UI via code. But using MFC wouldn't make porting app to other OS that much easier. So I thought, if I'm going to need to use code for everything why not try some other GUI library, one that has been ported to other OS'. So far I've found that there's GTK for windows (gtkmm). Is there perhaps some other, better library? Or did I missed not only the ball, but the whole playfield?
« Last Edit: January 01, 2010, 08:44:47 AM by Solo761 »

Offline DocClox

• Dev Team
  • Messing Around With Python
« Reply #50 on: January 01, 2010, 09:18:42 AM »
I guess game accepts only values like 0.5, and not 0,5?

That's a good question. I don't do anything fancy with locales and I18N, but TinyXML might. The safe way to bet though is that it only uses a dot as a decimal point

And for those decimal values, will it accept int numbers, without .x?

Should do. It'll parse ints as floats with no problem. If I've added .0 in the file, it's only to make the format clearer. The "%" char on the end of percentage fields is optional too

I've been studying C++ a little. And from what I can tell there isn't a nice way to design GUI like there is with with C#,

Well, strictly, there isn't with C# either; the GUI designer is part of Visual Studio.

So I thought, if I'm going to need to use code for everything why not try some other GUI library, one that has been ported to other OS'. So far I've found that there's GTK for windows (gtkmm). Is there perhaps some other, better library? Or did I missed not only the ball, but the whole playfield?

GTK is probably the way to go. It's close enough to the way Windows.Forms works that you shouldn't have too many problems. There's a decent GUI designer called Glade that should let you drag widgets around the place in the same sort of way.

The other contender would be wxWidgets, which is a decent cross platform toolkit, probably best known for its use in the sound editor, Audacity.

Offline delta224

• Dev Team
« Reply #51 on: January 01, 2010, 10:55:56 AM »
wxWidgets also has a designer based on Glade called wxGlade, if you go that route.

Offline Solo761

• Administrator
« Reply #52 on: January 01, 2010, 11:18:37 AM »
Hehe, I know that GUI desinger in C# isn't given automatically, it's IDE thing. I hoped that Visual C++ would provide something similar. But I couldn't find it :).

Thanks for those apps, I'll give it a try. I was looking for at least some design app that could give me coordinates and dimensions of elements so I don't have to calculate all that by hand. These will do nicely. In the end it's probably better to spend some more time and use some library that's cross platform than using MFC.

Offline zodiac44

• Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
« Reply #53 on: January 07, 2010, 12:13:16 AM »
Found a bug: in 0.66, the traits list in the girl tab is not displayed correctly.  There are apparently entries in the list, the tooltips work, but the list is blank and there are no checkboxes to select.
Capitalization is the difference between "I had to help my uncle Jack off a horse" and "I had to help my uncle jack off a horse."

Offline Solo761

• Administrator
« Reply #54 on: January 07, 2010, 06:02:29 AM »
Nothing has been changed in the way trait list works since adding tooltip option. I've just tried it and all the traits are in the list.

Offline zodiac44

« Reply #55 on: January 07, 2010, 06:21:19 PM »
I just opened and closed it a few times, and about half of the time I got nothing showing up in the trait list (there were blank entries, though, which triggered the trait description tooltips).  Weird.
Capitalization is the difference between "I had to help my uncle Jack off a horse" and "I had to help my uncle jack off a horse."

Offline Solo761

• Administrator
« Reply #56 on: January 07, 2010, 06:53:39 PM »
I just opened and closed it 10-15 times, I even started 20 instances simultaneous and no issues.

What OS do you use, is it perhaps Vista/Win7 with UAC enabled? If so that could be the culprit, some file access conflict on traits file. In that case try running it as administrator. I use Win7 but I have UAC disabled.

Or try this

http://www.mediafire.com/file/dhitznqktyd/WMEdit_0.66v2.rar

I've added one line to make sure traits file get closed after reading, but as far as loading traits goes, nothing has been change since the first editor version, literally. It simply opens the file, odd line numbers are trait names, even ones are trait description, so it reads first line, that's the first trait name, and then sends that name to lists on girls, random girls, items and trait list tabs, trait description goes to separate list so that they can be called for tooltips. Actually it reads trait name, trait description, sends them where they need to go, and then goes to next two lines. It keeps doing that until it reaches the end of the file.

I have no clue how could it read the file, miss trait names, but get trait descriptions.

Offline zodiac44

« Reply #57 on: January 07, 2010, 11:09:39 PM »
The traits tab displays correctly, so it is reading the file right, it seems as if its just not displaying the entries in the list box.  I can click in the box and get the dotted-line box highlight, but there's nothing in the box and there's no checkbox next to it.

[edit]

I may have found the problem.  I discovered a 2nd instance of WMEdit.exe in the task manager when I only had one instance running.  It remained in the process list even after I closed the open instance, so I killed it.  I haven't been able to repeat the problem since, so I think it was likely due to some kind of interference from an instance that refused to terminate properly.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2010, 11:16:27 PM by zodiac44 »

Offline Graen

« Reply #58 on: January 14, 2010, 05:47:29 PM »
Would it be possible to get another UNEDITABLE column next to the Stats and Skills boxes that displays the total value for each Stat and Skill after Traits are factored in?  This would be help for the unique girls, as well as the random ones as well.

Offline zodiac44

« Reply #59 on: January 14, 2010, 06:13:06 PM »
That could be done, but since the effects of traits are (currently) hardcoded into the game, any time a change is made in the game's code for traits, the code for the editor would have to be updated to fit.  Some day in the future, if and when traits get defined in XML, the editor could easily support such a system, but until then I think it's best to leave it out.