Author Topic: balancing catacombs  (Read 19843 times)

Offline letmein

Re: balancing catacombs
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2009, 08:37:39 PM »
Good point, d.  At the very least, the building update will probably give more options for neutral or good income streams.  I doubt, though, that it will be the magic pill to solve all the game's balance problems...  not that you guys aren't very capable, but balancing by its very nature takes time and playtesters.
Still lurking.

Offline Fstop

• I <3 Deadpool
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2009, 07:00:50 PM »
I think it would be easier to just make guards semi-permanent as in once you buy them you have to keep them until you cant afford to pay there wages then they leave on there own (should also make them be able to take money outta your bank and/our cause trouble for you if you refuse to pay and/or sue) that mix that in with higher death rate or something so that if they end up crippled you cant just fire them and buy a new squad (note Im imagining the guard as a single big company that just sends guard you're way)
Deadpool: Shhh. My Common sense is tingling
Common sense so rare it's a god damn super power!

Offline Midnight_Amratha

« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2009, 02:39:25 AM »
at the risk of being a bastard i think we need to keep focus on the programming credo: KISS
Keep
It
Simple
S*****
meaning tossing convoluted solutions into the program will cause computing time and slow down the game. i'm all for a nice interesting game but not at the cost of too much lag.
what kind of simple solution can stand for your ideas, use the context and plant text messages to give some explanation but don't let the nitty-gritty grow into the programming.
i know i'm not making much sense but think over the ideas i give and ignore my being a not-nice guy, thanks.
The line between lunacy and genious is very thin.
So far i haven't been able to find it.

Offline sgb

« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2009, 12:14:11 AM »
Something brought up in one of the item mod threads: the chance of getting a unique catacomb only item is incredibly low.  Granted, it's not hard late game to simply have multiple gangs do nothing but run the catacombs endlessly; but if the catacombs become more dangerous again, then the % chance of a unique item or unique monster girl should be taken into consideration.  Maybe even let this be set per item in the items file, so players can balance powerful items with rarity level.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2009, 12:16:17 AM by sgb »

Offline Jacko

« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2009, 07:33:40 AM »
Actually when I first played I thought you could send the girls into the catacombs because of their combat stat. Maybe in future release.

Offline letmein

« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2009, 11:49:22 AM »
Doubtful, actually.  necno originally planned to make this game something akin to a dungeon crawler, but - rather obviously - that changed.  So far as I know, there are no plans to institute that anymore.  Combat stats will likely remain [mostly] useless, with the possible exception of special missions/jobs or special events.
Still lurking.

Offline Fstop

• I <3 Deadpool
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2009, 11:58:38 AM »
I say we should make a gladiator coliseum and have the fight for my amusement or a Jello/Pudding Wrestling cage of something to make it [partly] useful (can probably be use to also attract customers)

Offline DocClox

• Dev Team
  • Messing Around With Python
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2009, 02:11:32 PM »
I say we should make a gladiator coliseum and have the fight for my amusement or a Jello/Pudding Wrestling cage of something to make it [partly] useful (can probably be use to also attract customers)

I find that idea oddly appealing... :)

Offline letmein

« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2009, 07:09:38 PM »
Does anyone even *read* the ToDo file besides me?  An arena is already planned...  I should know, because I'm fairly certain I was the first one to suggest it back on the old forum.  There's a whole laundry list of buildings there, with probably jobs for each.
Still lurking.

Offline DocClox

• Dev Team
  • Messing Around With Python
« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2009, 07:23:50 PM »
I know, I know. I was thinking more of the jello aspects of it, if you must know.

Also of having open challenge nights, as in Stripes, where the girls take on challengers from the public.

Offline Command

« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2009, 07:39:38 PM »
Does anyone even *read* the ToDo file besides me?  An arena is already planned...  I should know, because I'm fairly certain I was the first one to suggest it back on the old forum.  There's a whole laundry list of buildings there, with probably jobs for each.

It's probably because some people don't notice it at fist because their not very interested in looking thorugh the entire forum.  Likely because they don't think their is enough time.

It's also likely some people that make these suggestions can't remember everything that is listed.

Offline Fstop

• I <3 Deadpool
« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2009, 09:27:58 PM »
I've read the todo the first time it came out but dont remember anything except that theres a REAL long trait list

Offline letmein

« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2009, 10:46:57 PM »
It's pretty long, yeah, but that's because almost all of it is repeated - plus, a whole bunch of them are related to dungeon-crawling stuff IMO, and thus probably won't end up in the game.  After that list, though, there is a lot of other information.
Still lurking.

Offline LordShame

« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2009, 11:06:37 PM »
Wait. Sometimes I see girls that get assaulted but manage to fight off their agressor, and I figured it was on account of high combat skill. Is it totally random?

Something brought up in one of the item mod threads: the chance of getting a unique catacomb only item is incredibly low.  Granted, it's not hard late game to simply have multiple gangs do nothing but run the catacombs endlessly; but if the catacombs become more dangerous again, then the % chance of a unique item or unique monster girl should be taken into consideration.  Maybe even let this be set per item in the items file, so players can balance powerful items with rarity level.

A rarity % setting would be keen, but even just a way to differentiate between an item that isn't super rare but can only be found in the catacombs and an item that's meant to be hard to find would be a major improvement.

In addition, maybe a gang with high intelligence could have improved chances of finding rare stuff, since they would be better at spotting secret passages and hidden treasures.

Offline Mehzerz

• Rockin' the after life after party
« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2009, 05:57:30 AM »
I don't know anything about coding, and this probably isn't completely relevant to the topic at hand but...
as far as items go. Would it be possible to set items rarity in a list formation? Say items go from 1 to 1,000, 1 being the rarest while 1,000 being the most common. Or maybe since the items are already in categories have their categories with their own list of rarity. You could even add the number of rarity on the items description. (Like the Disgaea games now that I think about it) I suppose the problem here would be modded items being added. But as it stands there doesn't seem to be a rarity system.
I guess it's rarity could go off it's price. Since the auto pricing system made items with better functions more expensive it makes sense that rarity could be based off this as well. It could even go along with not only the catacombs but it's chances of being in the store as well.
Starter girls image additions progress:
26 girls, 18 to go