Author Topic: Town Wards  (Read 62090 times)

Offline fixet

Re: Town Wards
« Reply #45 on: July 12, 2010, 07:26:21 AM »
I just wanted to say that I kinda like some of fixet's ideas; however, it seems to me the elite districts probably wouldn't really be able the thrive sitting inside the inner walls, especially in a place as violent as Crossgate. They'd be in the center of a huge kill zone. Just set a fire inside the walls and blockade the gates, and you've got a homebrew Nuremburg fire-storm; and its not like they could escape to the catacombs that they're sitting on...that'd be suicidal.
well, my original idea was actually pretty different
having gangs be trapped inside the inner wall, with the keep resting between the two walls
the inner wall would actually serve to protect the outside from both the gangs and whatever comes through the portals
but that would mean rearranging the map, so I gave up on the idea

tactics-wise, you forgot about two things
one, the city itself is, at any time, infinitely more powerful than the strongest gang (you), they raid you whenever you want, and you can do nothing about it
and two, MAGIC

Offline Mehzerz

• Rockin' the after life after party
« Reply #46 on: July 12, 2010, 09:22:35 AM »
Yeah. I thnk leveled catacombs are a good idea, and we'll need something a bit challenging to unlock the lower levels. Not sure what, as yet. Boss fights, if we can make them more involving than the usual goon/girl missions; fetch-the-great-macguffin quests if we don't overdo them. Maybe have some portals that require the player to sacrifice one of his girls ... although there'd better be an alternative in that case...
Sacrifice a girl or a few is a good idea. Pay a fee to a "gate keeper" could also work. Determining the lowest levels might be more difficult considering you don't want them too easy, but they can't be too hard either. :/
Starter girls image additions progress:
26 girls, 18 to go

Offline Shinteo

« Reply #47 on: July 12, 2010, 01:53:50 PM »
Reading the post regarding the surface map and subterren map gave me an idea for the late-game part.

----------------------

Imagine that the catacomb as it is now is a barrier of sorts, a hundred level Labyrinth,      and below that is a whole new world altogether. You've probably heard of underground cities and countries. This is the real deal.

A thousand years ago, give or take a couple of century, this... Underworld broke through the dimensional barriers seperating the two worlds, the result of which sent shockwaves across the whole of reality, weakening it enough for other holes to appear. The main tear, however, ripped the world apart just where Crossgate is now situtated, and through it they sent their armies.

They were beaten back, of course, or we wouldn't be sitting here right now, but not without cost.

Before they came, there was no kingdom, no empire. Just a lot of tribes fighting and surviving as best as they could. The Underworld invasion changed that. The tribes were forced to band together just to live to see tomorrow. And from this core, the empire, or at least the begining of it, was formed. They joined their forces together and forced the Underworld army back, taking terrible losses, but was finally sucessful.

Their mages then combined their magics together, welding shut the rip in space-time as best as they could. But it was a patch job at best, and it was consistently being tested from below. Then someone came up with the idea of building a Labyrinth, to slow down and confuse them, and so they did. After a few years, and several layers later, the threat from the underworld was diminished enough that a small community was able to form around the work site, and a small village was formed. This was the start of the City later known as Crossgate.

After about fifty layers or so, the Underworld threat was vurtually gone, but fear of them kept the workers busy, until an even hundred layers stood between them and the underword. The CrossKeep was built then, to watch over the Labyrinth and stand guard against them.

And watch they did, even as the empire grew and fell, to be replaced by other empires, other kingdoms. Until eventually the memories of the horrors were forgotten, washed away by the rivers of time, and no one could remember the purpose of the castle.

Crossgate had by this time grown into a small city, its remote location attracting those who were hiding, refugees of one war or another, and also those who had reason to hide, smugglers, slavers, and the likes. Adventuers too were drawn to Crossgate to challage the Labyrinth, conviced that there must be some vast treasure hidden within. And so the city grew, gaining a reputation through its trade of curious items and creatures sometimes found within the Labyrinth, its original purpose all but forgotten.

It would have remain that way for the next thousand years, but for your father. He found mentions of the Underworld in old records, and was intrige by it. He was determined to find this Underworld, and to plunder its riches. (The legends he had heard mixed up mentions of adventurers looking for treasures, and the old Underworld. Naturally he assumes that the riches are found in the Underwold.)

Through sheer dumb luck and determination, he actually found the way through to the Underworld, and decided to return to the surface to make a proper expertition out of it. When he returned, however, the Temple caught wind of it, and had him killed. (Which Temple... now that's a good question.) The rest, I believe you know.

So what will you do now? Seal the Labyrinth? Or follow the path of your father.

What will you find there? I don't know. Would their inhabitants make good slaves? Maybe you should try, and find out. It could be the key to all your dreams, or it could be your worst nightmares......

Offline fixet

« Reply #48 on: July 12, 2010, 02:26:17 PM »
that doesn't make any sense

Offline megamanx

• I watch DBZ Abridged and give it three thumbs up
« Reply #49 on: July 12, 2010, 03:17:44 PM »
Maybe we should have a quest in each distract as well as ones you have to do certain things to unlock. like slay so many demons in the catacombs or something just extra stuff so you don't get bored
REST IN PIECE TOONAMI.
From beginning to the very end I was there. I will never forget.
Tom and the Absolution 1997-2008
A great Character and a funny host. You will live on forever in this.

Offline d31r3x

• Town Wards Martyr.
« Reply #50 on: July 13, 2010, 05:03:11 AM »
Maybe we should have a quest in each distract as well as ones you have to do certain things to unlock. like slay so many demons in the catacombs or something just extra stuff so you don't get bored

Agree. I'm not sure, but maybe Doc's LUA work would make adding custom quests possible so that we never get bored.

Offline Shinteo

« Reply #51 on: July 13, 2010, 01:12:07 PM »
that doesn't make any sense

Well, this is something that I whipped up in about 10 mintues, so yeah... Basically just an idea of how Crossgate came to be, and why is reality so unstable there, and the reason for the catacombs, and maybe an excuse for an expension of some sort. (Yes, I thought that far ahead...)

After all, you'll need something to do after conquring all of Crossgate...

But if you think that it's dumb, feel free to disregard it.

Offline DocClox

• Dev Team
  • Messing Around With Python
« Reply #52 on: July 13, 2010, 01:33:13 PM »
Well, this is something that I whipped up in about 10 mintues, so yeah... Basically just an idea of how Crossgate came to be, and why is reality so unstable there, and the reason for the catacombs, and maybe an excuse for an expension of some sort. (Yes, I thought that far ahead...)

After all, you'll need something to do after conquring all of Crossgate...

But if you think that it's dumb, feel free to disregard it.

Seems basically OK. Reminds me a bit of the plot from Words Worth, but nothing wrong with that. I was thinking of having hand crafted level bosses though, so a hundred of them might be a bit of a challenge.

The other thing is that I was planning to have the catacombs lead to lots of places, rather than just one. Maybe there are lots of theories about the catacombs and this is just one of them.

It would make a good add on, I think.

Offline fixet

« Reply #53 on: July 13, 2010, 02:03:49 PM »
@shinteo
not that my opinion holds much weight, but I don't think it's dumb

it is just not a sensical order of events
it COULD happen, I just don't see why it would happen like that

Offline megamanx

• I watch DBZ Abridged and give it three thumbs up
« Reply #54 on: July 13, 2010, 03:06:29 PM »
Yeah i agree it could happen it just isn't likely, somewhat like getting the ultima weapon the first time playing FF9, you can do it it just is unlikely to happen.
REST IN PIECE TOONAMI.
From beginning to the very end I was there. I will never forget.
Tom and the Absolution 1997-2008
A great Character and a funny host. You will live on forever in this.

Offline d31r3x

• Town Wards Martyr.
« Reply #55 on: July 13, 2010, 03:59:22 PM »
Back to topic, here's the city map at its current development stage.

HiRes Lossless Version:
  Sketch5_General_Layout.jpg   (1.9 MB)

Note I moved and resized Spark End, allocated mages (Pentagle Square) between Spark End and Pinchpenny, and added a high class merchant-banker-artist ward wich I called Northsade because I couldn't find any cool name it's on the north part of the hill, and thus it's streets are almost permanently in shade (historically, a classic old market + artisan slums, became higher class when masses moved outwalls). Splitted Sleaze Street Ward into West Sleaze and East Sleaze as Doc pointed out (awaiting for a better name). Other minor changes added, including testing slum texture at Sparks End (wich I don't like at all, I'll give it a Ank-Mopork map look / style -see page 1), sketching built structure of inwall wards (except Temple District, waiting either for Doc ideas / advice or an outcome in Crossgate religion discussion  ;D ) and initial outer wall artillery-wise shape on wall's north section.

Ideas on connections between wards taken into consideration. I would connect Pinchpenny Lane with Northshade instead Temple District, and leave it as the only connection between the higher and lower city. This way we avoid messing with religions. Maybe I'd use East Sleeaze as starting position (it's more or less centered, near Pinchpenny and Shambletown, could have it's own black market at start and leaves docks a bit more isolated -must control East Sleaze gangs first).

Will appreciate any advice or opinion on how this is going, so I can move on to the next development stage / version.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2010, 04:01:55 PM by d31r3x »

Offline DocClox

• Dev Team
  • Messing Around With Python
« Reply #56 on: July 13, 2010, 05:01:53 PM »
I really like the way this is turning out :)

I imagine there's a state of feud between the wizards and the technologists. Maybe there's a buffer zone of alchemists on the street that separates them. We could call it Chymical Court, with the east side alchemists tending toward the Doctrine of Signatures style of alchemy, while the ones on the west side put more faith in the Theory of Atoms.

Northshade is good. I was thinking "Manorside", but I like yours better. Still haven't thought of better names for East and West Sleaze Street yet, though.

The Sleaze Street market is the Fleamarket. The Black Market isn't a place so much as an invitation only trade meet called on the quayside from time to time. Usually in the back of an abandoned warehouse at the dead of night.

I entirely agree with your thoughts on connections.

I'll get back on the subject of the temple. I think it's getting on for my bedtime ...

* DocClox yaaaawns...

Offline fires_flair

« Reply #57 on: July 13, 2010, 06:25:34 PM »
well, we could go off of something like smell, the west side would have a very harse smell, due to the fact that any water would drain that way (since it's beside the harbor), and if there are any type of gutters it would lead there, so it could be something like sleazy mephitis/redolence/fetor (ok, something that means stench...I got these from thesaurus.com) there might be more thievery in the east side (since there are two market close on hand) it could be something like cutpurse slums. it would also have the people with more money in it, since merchants, and trades men would want to live close to where they sell there wares (like street vendors, not upper or fairly profitable merchants who would live in northshade)

Offline LordShame

« Reply #58 on: July 13, 2010, 06:39:51 PM »
Disregard this if it's intentional, but there is no such thing as a pentagle. You probably want either "pentacle" or "pentangle".

Still haven't thought of better names for East and West Sleaze Street yet, though.

You can be super obvious about it and still have it keep a basis in reality. Historically, there have been Gropecunt lanes in many UK cities, not to mention the Pokeskirt alleys, Ticklecock bridges, and other straight-up Brothel streets. I'm not saying you should definitely pick something like that, but, well, you can pretty much go nuts with crude-but-honest names and not have to worry about sounding far-fetched.

Offline fixet

« Reply #59 on: July 13, 2010, 07:18:03 PM »
if pronounced with a british accent, both ticklecock and pokeskirt sound rather... classy

"lord ticklecock?"
"yes, sir pokeskirt?"

but, yeah just take two words and mash them together, knightswalk came out pretty good