devolution

Author Topic: Linux Users!  (Read 20813 times)

Offline DocClox

• Dev Team
  • Messing Around With Python
Linux Users!
« on: November 20, 2009, 05:50:34 PM »
I know we had at least one query about this on the old board:

We're pretty close to being able to offer a native Linux version of WM. I've got one running locally on my Debian desktop box. My main concern is how to distribute it, given the fact that different distros are going to have different SDL libraries installed (or not installed).

So, question is this: who's interested, and what are you running? If I know what you've got, I'll try and sort out compatible builds for you.

Offline Nuller

Re: Linux Users!
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2009, 10:46:52 PM »
I've been running WM via wine (which seems to run it fairly well, its a little difficult to tell if the crashes are WM or wine related) on ArchLinux. I would actually be fine with a source tarball and a list of dependencies.

Offline DocClox

• Dev Team
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2009, 04:26:44 AM »
That's the way I'd prefer to distribute it as well. Only trouble is that the source isn't mine to distribute.

Offline Nuller

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2009, 05:21:42 AM »
In that case a precompiled binary will have to do. Are there any dependencies other than SDL to worry about?
Currently my libSDL.so points to libSDL-1.2.so.0.11.3 btw - in case it matters, and either 64-bit or 32-bit intel binaries would work for me.

Offline DocClox

• Dev Team
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2009, 06:32:09 AM »
OK, try this. It's the last trunk commit I that I can vouch for as being reasonably stable. The main issue is that the "send to dungeon" button is borked. The button works, it just displays as a greyed out "release".

There's a fix in the tree, but this will do for a test case.

Offline Nuller

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2009, 03:34:30 PM »
Seems to work mostly fine. From a quick (<5 minute) test I found it occasionally still crashes, there are no brothel icons on the town map and the buy and sell buttons in the shop aren't displaying. I'll do a more thorough check later today when I get back.
Oh, and this displays on the command line every time I choose the talk to option in the dungeon:
loading font: segoeui.ttf
probably not important at the moment but seems like unnecessary redundancy.

Offline delta224

• Dev Team
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2009, 04:07:22 PM »
The brothel icons on the town screen are due to the nae being off.  Change the name of the image file to brothelon.png and brotheloff.png, caps might be off though.  The buy sell issue is a coding issue, crashing, eh this thing is still very buggy, and the loading font thing is a little redundant, but is there for debugging purposes.

Offline DocClox

• Dev Team
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2009, 04:31:31 PM »
plus, it's something of a development snapshot. I'll make sure there's Linux binary in the next release though, and we can see how that goes.

Offline Nuller

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2009, 10:52:14 PM »
I mostly mentioned those issues because they don't appear under wine and thus figured they might be a linux specific issues.

Offline Solo761

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2009, 09:17:23 AM »
I suppose that would be because windows version currently available to public is 1.29.2, and linux one is from current trunk (or whatever subversion DocClox managed to compile :) ).

Offline DocClox

• Dev Team
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2009, 11:02:22 AM »
Yeah, it's my development branch which isn't particularly stable at the best of times.

I just wanted to see if Nuller could run my binaries without problems, really.  Now that I know he can, I'll co-ordinate a Linux build with the main release

Offline DocClox

• Dev Team
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2009, 07:26:32 PM »
OK: here's a linux binary pre-release v1.29.4. This should be comparable with the windows app, but without the XML issues.

You'll need the 1.29.3 windows upgrade, or at least the files inside of it. Well, you probably have them all already, but you know what I mean...

Offline Nuller

« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2009, 09:34:44 PM »
Any chance of an updated executable to match the changes to the windows version?

Offline DocClox

• Dev Team
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2009, 12:20:22 AM »
Not unless solo fancies committing his current maintainence code to svn. We had a branch for the 1.29.3.* code, but like a complete twit, I checked in a half finished change, and it's been taking a while to get it stable again.

Failing that, I should be done with this early next week (the weekend stands to be busy) and we'll sync things up then.

Offline Nuller

« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2009, 12:23:36 AM »
Cool, was just wondering whether maybe you had forgotten/discontinued linux support.