devolution

Author Topic: What next?  (Read 4898 times)

Offline Anon21

What next?
« on: July 25, 2011, 03:06:20 PM »
I've done all the tweaking that I had in mind for now. So the question ' what next? ' springs to mind.  Here are a few things, say which you think are good / bad ideas and feel free to suggest your own things (but bear in mind I'm only an amateur programmer ;-).

* Multi-column list boxes to use 'Width' not 'Offset' in the XML file.  This will make it a lot easier to move columns around and resize them.

* Change 'base size' to 1280 x 1024.

At present whenever you see a size in 'pixels' there is a good chance that size is actually going to be scaled from 800 x 600 to whatever your preferred resolution is. It gets confusing looking at the XML file because some numbers are scaled, and some aren't.  If I did change the base size you would still be able to use smaller resolutions if you wanted to. It would mean that existing interfaces would have to be redone, though.

* Add Stat Caps and work restrictions based on age.  All (non-immortal) girls would start having their maximum stats reduced from 100 to smaller values depending on how old (over 30) they are.  Would also start cutting down on what jobs they can do.

* Death by old age. Non-immortal girls would have a chance each year of dropping off from old age (probably between 75 and 100).

* Improved event text. If you want this we'll have to get submissions because I'm not writer.

* Changed time scale. I know some people don't like this, but change one turn = one week to one turn = one month would mean that children your girls have could actually 'grow up' at a reasonable age - instead of turning 17 in a year and a half.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
  • "It's like hunting cows"
Re: What next?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2011, 03:13:14 PM »
Death? We are talking about thousands of turns, I think it's all good as it is now and a lot of useful tweaks had been made. Showing pictures from corresponding categories on actions would be a great improvement.
Like what we're doing?

Offline Anon21

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2011, 03:17:09 PM »
Showing pictures from corresponding categories on actions would be a great improvement.

I've had some thoughts on improving the image handling routines. I might be able to manage something.

Offline Claytod

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2011, 03:31:53 PM »
Like Xela, I don't like the idea of death either. I do like the idea of spicing up the events because I could try my hand at erotic writing...wow that sounded kinda wrong.

Offline Anon21

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2011, 03:37:27 PM »
I do like the idea of spicing up the events because I could try my hand at erotic writing...wow that sounded kinda wrong.

Right. Well, the idea was favorably received before but nobody actually submitted anything. :-P

The Otherworld board (Daisy Strike) has an entire forum for writing submissions, and I know a lot of other games implement user submitted text so I think it just needs a higher profile here. It would be great if we could get a sub-forum here, otherwise I can just try starting a new thread and being a bit more proactive.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
  • "It's like hunting cows"
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2011, 03:48:03 PM »
Right. Well, the idea was favorably received before but nobody actually submitted anything. :-P

The Otherworld board (Daisy Strike) has an entire forum for writing submissions, and I know a lot of other games implement user submitted text so I think it just needs a higher profile here. It would be great if we could get a sub-forum here, otherwise I can just try starting a new thread and being a bit more proactive.

For now: Link: http://pinkpetal.org/index.php?topic=841.0
Like what we're doing?

Offline Anon21

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2011, 03:56:41 PM »
Actually I just started a new thread. http://pinkpetal.org/index.php?topic=851.0