devolution

Author Topic: CloneMaster: Welcome To The High Frontier...  (Read 60065 times)

Offline DocClox

• Dev Team
  • Messing Around With Python
CloneMaster: Welcome To The High Frontier...
« on: April 14, 2010, 11:52:22 AM »
I'm thinking of knocking together a mod as a sandbox for my Lua work:

Points to note:

• It's going to be a complete separate game.
  • Really, this is just to test the new scripting. It's apt to be buggy, unfinished, and may, in fact, never get to a fully playable state. It's a test game where I can try out ideas without worrying if I break the real WM
  • I reserve the right to use humour, funny accents, British spellings, incorporate player dialogue more meaningful than "grunt", and generally enjoy myself whilst putting this together. Anyone claiming that I'm "forcing" them to do anything will be gently but pointedly derided.
  • That said, as much of the game logic as possible will be in Lua. So it should be possible to rectify any authorial shortcomings, omissions, or crimes against good taste, sanity and other general atrocities.
  • I'm doing this, as opposed to Abby's Crossing because I want AC to be playable from the start. That's not going to be possible if I'm developing the framework alongside the game. Hence WMiS.
  • It's not going to take itself entirely seriously.
  • I enjoyed making the splash graphic :)

And with that out of the way: if anyone has any girls (or could suggest some) that would suit a SciFi/asteroid belt setting, I'd appreciate it.

[edit]

I figured there was something important missing from the splash graphic...
« Last Edit: November 29, 2010, 01:29:47 PM by DocClox »

Offline Hawke

Re: Welcome To The High Frontier...
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2010, 01:42:40 PM »
Well...any from any of the various Gundam shows/manga.  Any from Vandred, Blue Seed, (although it's been done to death already) Cowboy Bebop, Dirty Pair, Evangelion, possibly the characters from s-CRY-ed (kinda, maybe), Full Metal Panic, Ghost in the Shell, Roll from Megaman (pics are a problem though...), Outlaw Star....enough? :D or should I keep going?
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bike. Then I realized that The Lord doesn't work that way, so I stole one and asked him to forgive me.

Oh, I could spend my life having this conversation - look - please try to understand before one of us dies.

Offline Fstop

• I <3 Deadpool
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2010, 07:27:18 PM »
Is this going to be a unmodable set or is it going to be basically a WM in space ?  if its the later character dont really matter as much >.>
Deadpool: Shhh. My Common sense is tingling
Common sense so rare it's a god damn super power!

Offline DocClox

• Dev Team
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2010, 01:15:32 AM »
Is this going to be a unmodable set or is it going to be basically a WM in space ?  if its the later character dont really matter as much >.>

It's WM in space, only  more moddable rather than less. So yeah, the girls don't matter that much.  I just thought it would be nice if the initial random girls reflected the theme a little more closely.

Well...any from any of the various Gundam shows/manga.  Any from Vandred, Blue Seed, (although it's been done to death already) Cowboy Bebop, Dirty Pair, Evangelion, possibly the characters from s-CRY-ed (kinda, maybe), Full Metal Panic, Ghost in the Shell, Roll from Megaman (pics are a problem though...), Outlaw Star....enough? [/font] :D or should I keep going?[/size]

Thanks.  I'm not all that big on anime/manga, so any pointers are useful. That said, I should have thought of GitS and Dirty Pair myself. Evangelion too.

Also, I notice crazymuncy just posted some Gundam girls. Might be something there I can use, assuming Crazy's willing, of course.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2010, 10:11:32 AM by DocClox »

Offline crazy

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2010, 01:46:23 AM »
Also, I notice crazymuncy just posted some Gundam girls. Might be something there I can use, assuming Crazy's willing, of course.

Feel free to use any of them you want to.

Offline Hawke

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2010, 08:35:42 AM »
NĂ­ raibh aon rud.  Don't mention it.  I thought of another couple too, though I don't know how many pics you could find for it; 009-1, RahXephon, and Code Geass (and maybe Trigun and Wolf's Rain, as well).
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bike. Then I realized that The Lord doesn't work that way, so I stole one and asked him to forgive me.

Oh, I could spend my life having this conversation - look - please try to understand before one of us dies.

Offline fixet

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2010, 08:38:27 AM »
FUCK YEAR, SPACE PIMPAN

seriously, you've gotta add some events involving space truckers and asteroid miners
also, pirates

Offline Shinteo

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2010, 01:53:00 PM »
There's also Tenchi Muyo, Macross (Good luck getting pics for them though, other then frontier), Xenosaga/ Xenogears, Nadasico, to name a few more...

Offline Lorde

• Accepting requests for girl expansion packs.
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2010, 06:48:06 PM »
Well technically it's in space so you can assume that the slave traders have the ability to travel to other worlds and kidnap potential slaves. In other words, you don't have to beat yourself up trying to make sure the characters fit with the setting.

Of course, if you are trying to stay away from the "modern japan school girl" look for the girls, you could just throw characters from Games like soul calibur or fire emblem into the pens with some elves and demon girls and call the former "undeveloped world volunteers" and the latter 2 aliens  :D

For the sci fi theme though... lets see. I submit Code geass and Eureka 7.
Current Girl Work Schedule            
* Revy  (Black Lagoon)
* Stab at The series He is my Master
* Run Elsie Jewelria and Yuuki Rito (To Love Ru)
* Yukari Takeba (Persona 3)
* Work on the Code Geass girls

Offline Bloodly

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2010, 03:36:53 AM »
Anyone claiming that I'm "forcing" them to do anything will be gently but pointedly derided.

That depends on what you're 'forcing' people to do.  Some people don't wanna be heartless monsters, you know?  Now, forcing people to be wise-crackers, on the other hand...

Offline DocClox

• Dev Team
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2010, 04:56:52 AM »
That depends on what you're 'forcing' people to do.  Some people don't wanna be heartless monsters, you know?  Now, forcing people to be wise-crackers, on the other hand...

Interesting. Do you think I am particularly prone to heartless monsterdom, then?

Granted, I was somewhat in curmudgeon mode when I wrote that. All the same, some days it seems to me that I can't do anything related to WM without someone telling me that I'm infringing on their sacred right to mod the game however they please, or I'm forcing a point of view on them or some such thing. And it takes all the fun out of the writing WM content. It does for me, anyway.

So I'm doing this as a mod, rather than as main game development. And I'm going to in such a way as to have fun, because let's face it, no one is paying me for this, and if I'm not going to enjoy myself, I'd sooner be playing Oblivion. I do hope other people will find fun in what I do, but realistically "you can't please all of the people all of the time", and on this occasion, I don't propose to worry too much about that. If they don't like it, they don't have to play it.

And as I said earlier, there isn't going to be any game content in this  thing that  can't be changed using a combination of notepad.exe and the human brain. So anyone who finds the heartless monster quotient a little too high for their tastes will be more than welcome to make a kinder, gentler patch for the game and post it.

Sorry about the rant. Not really directed at you personally, just a bit of a sore point at the moment.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2010, 06:43:13 AM by DocClox »

Offline SCO

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2010, 07:21:14 PM »
This idea makes me smile.  The list of anime and/or sources that involve aliens, cyborgs, giant robots, space travel, et al. is just way to large to count.  Have to start thinking of sources now....

Offline Mehzerz

• Rockin' the after life after party
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2010, 03:13:05 AM »
You could probably get away with Final Fantasy Unlimited, FFXIII and Diebuster. I think with all the suggestions below, you should be able to get enough defaults going... besides I'm sure most of them have already been made lol.
Starter girls image additions progress:
26 girls, 18 to go

Offline crazy

« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2010, 06:34:40 PM »
Just wondering if this will have your building management system used in it.  I'm really looking forward to trying it out and am hoping it will be in this mod or 1.30.  And if its not can you please tell me what version you think it will be used in?

Offline DocClox

• Dev Team
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2010, 03:16:47 AM »
Eventually. Or it's likely to have the system, but for a limited number of rooms to start with.

Right now I've got the girl import working, most of the graphical issues are sorted out, and I'm starting on the main turn loop. If I can get that working I'll have something worth a preliminary release. Probably be a couple of weeks yet though.

For the main game - the building screen is in it, but unless someone else spent some time on it, it probably doesn't do anything yet.