devolution

Author Topic: Preview: WM EX  (Read 36813 times)

Offline THE FUTURE

Preview: WM EX
« on: October 01, 2011, 11:51:07 AM »
It's not ready yet, but might be in the next week or 2 depending on how the last few stages go.

WM EX is a complete overhaul of the Whore Master gameplay. Features are added to create more gameplay depth, make the game less of a cakewalk (so you don't have to "limit yourself"), and add entirely new gameplay aspects. I'll be a little vague. Sorry for the extra large screenshots, I haven't gotten around to reworking the interface other than colors.

Click to enlarge.

Young girls grow and gain physical traits!

Traits are learned by getting good at jobs instead of by using items!

Traits visibly and heavily influence job performance!
Pictured is Singer with Construct trait. This is to add to the sense that each girl is different. Many girls will be terrible at some jobs and great at others.

New sex types!
More pic types!

Ecchi = XXX Entertainment, Stripping

Other:
  • Difficulty is intended to be higher, but not really "difficult". It'll just take a bit of planning and trial-and-error.
  • All jobs will have functionality and purpose! You can do more than just start every girl as a whore.
  • All jobs teach girls different traits based on what kind of job it is!
  • Item system fully reworked! To sum it up, they are less effective, but unlike in the official version of whore master, they are needed to be successful.
  • Girl stats are heavily rebalanced to focus specifically on traits and not on thoughtless leveling up. As said, some girls are better suited to some jobs than others, but you can eventually corrupt any girl into a filthy whore if you so choose. It just won't happen overnight. Or in another example, you could turn an aggressive girl into a mousy girl or turn a mousy girl into an aggressive girl, but not instantly like you can in the official version of WM.
  • Other stuff!
WM EX will be intended to be something like a standalone game, probably not something to replace the official whore master. It'll be centered around using an entire staff of girls to make your business function instead of just using a bunch of whores. Plans are to expand upon the content significantly over time, but the above is what is planned for the first release.

Like I said, it's not ready yet, but I needed to get this out there so that I don't look like I'm bullshitting too much about how I'm "working on" something. The job-based traits are not finished yet, I need to rework the logic to fit the new item system, and some other things. I'll test the rebalance myself for a bit, see if it works, then post up an early version for open testing by you guys, and make corrections as needed. ETA is at least 1 week, and don't be surprised if I take longer than that.

FAQ:
Q. Will EX be compatible with existing girl packs?
A. Mostly. Your old packs won't properly support the new image types so it will default to the old types. You will lose some traits like Incorporial upon loading them into the game unless you change the name. You won't get the benefit of any new traits unless you add them yourself.

I'm converting girl packs for EX so you don't have to unless you want very specific girls. There are over 40 unique girls and a small number of random girl packs ready for when EX is released. When it is finished, I suggest treating this as a different game, meaning making a new folder for it instead of overwriting your old files.

Q. Can you add this idea I have (.....)
A. I'm not taking suggestions right now. I'll consider suggestions for game balance but nothing else. Suggestions will have to wait. Your ideas are probably awesome, but my workload to get the release done soon is already too much.

Etc. I can't wait to play this!
A. Hold on. This mod might be shit. Don't get your hopes up. For one thing, I'm adding/subtracting gameplay elements I haven't even told you about. You might hate what I did.

Approximate Progress:
[100%] Make girls "grow up" depending on conditions
[100%] New pic types
[100%] Sex types addition
[100%] Revise how traits are gained
[100%] Tweak Combat systems/catacombs/security jobs
[100%] Revise item system
[100%] Stats/skill system revised
[100%] Make traits important for every job/add text for traits affecting jobs
[100%] Revise customer system
[100%] Make every existing job functional
[100%] Add new traits or revise existing ones to match new system
[100%] stuff I won't mention
[100%] Revise item logic
[10%] UI mod
[100%] Clean up loose ends
[100%] Quality testing
« Last Edit: October 16, 2011, 05:33:20 AM by THE FUTURE »
This is the last week of bug fixes. Barring anything catastrophic, development of a "sequel" to WM EX begins next week. If there is a major bug that hasn't been addressed, say so now or you're going to have to wait quite a long time for it to be fixed.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
  • "It's like hunting cows"
Re: Preview: WM EX
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2011, 01:08:36 PM »
 Great idea, I'll definitely give it a try when it's ready.
Like what we're doing?

Offline Romanul

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2011, 01:28:45 PM »
This looks great!

I have a question. Are you using a girl add on pack from the from and if so which one? I am asking because the pics are great.

Offline Shilo

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2011, 01:48:32 PM »
Awesome! :)

Offline E.

• Till the end of Eternity.
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2011, 02:00:28 PM »
I love you.
And I hate you too.

I love you because you jus made my day brighter.
I hate you  because I'll waste my time checking this damn thread every f*cking ten minutes until it's out.

Offline Shilo

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2011, 03:27:20 PM »
Same here. Just that I hate him because I will miss all those stuff in the standard game now.

Offline THE FUTURE

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2011, 03:54:07 PM »
lol, we'll see if it's any good once the whole thing is done up

I have a question. Are you using a girl add on pack from the from and if so which one? I am asking because the pics are great.

I have most of the packs from before Lafate had to take them all down. Plus I just have whatever people release over time and other stuff. I added a crapload of Miku pics by just trolling an image board - it's extremely easy to find high quality pics for vocaloid characters. Xela has a pretty big Hinata pack.

So I just take those and cut out whatever I don't like. For WM EX, I have to reconfigure all girl packs because there are new image types.

Btw, anyone who actually saw the series for any of these girls want to make up an accurate .girlsx file? A couple of them really don't look accurate, especially Selvaria Bles and Horo. Maybe Fate.

Selvaria Bles (Valkyria Chronicles)
Horo (Spice and Wolf)
Fate Testarossa/Fate T. Harlaown (why are there even separate packs for this girl? different age + series?)
Hakufu Sonsaku/Kanu Unchou (Ikki Tousen)
Lightning (FF13)
Mai Shiranui
Mari Illustrious Makinami
Mikoto Misaka (is she really psychic or just good at magic)
Nao Mariota Pryderi (Mabinogi MMORPG)
Nico Robin/Nami (what I have is probably accurate I just want a second opinion)
Riesz <-she only has catgirl because of her funny ears right? not actually a catgirl?
Saber (probably accurate)
Sheryl Nome
Tamaki Kousaka
Tomoe (Queen's Blade)
Yoko Littner

All those girls will be in the first release but I didn't watch the anime/game they're in, so I can't verify any accuracy.
This is the last week of bug fixes. Barring anything catastrophic, development of a "sequel" to WM EX begins next week. If there is a major bug that hasn't been addressed, say so now or you're going to have to wait quite a long time for it to be fixed.

Offline teitogun

• Will you be my slave?
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2011, 05:16:17 PM »
I have to  admit, this is pretty awesome, I wasn't expecting it.

Unfortunately I have like up to 400 girls with hefty image packs. Part of the appeal this game has to me is the ease of adding new characters and pics as well as the high degree of randomness that involves. My question is, would old girlsx files and image folders work with the new release? It would certainly take a titanic effort to transfer my personalized harems into a new format.

Offline Lurker

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2011, 06:39:17 PM »
Awesome work! Looking forward to seeing it in action.  ;D

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
  • "It's like hunting cows"
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2011, 06:47:06 PM »
I have to  admit, this is pretty awesome, I wasn't expecting it.

Unfortunately I have like up to 400 girls with hefty image packs. Part of the appeal this game has to me is the ease of adding new characters and pics as well as the high degree of randomness that involves. My question is, would old girlsx files and image folders work with the new release? It would certainly take a titanic effort to transfer my personalized harems into a new format.

They should work fine? Game doesn't crash or anything if you don't have any pics for the specific category, my guess is that it will be the same.
Like what we're doing?

Offline THE FUTURE

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2011, 02:54:17 AM »
My question is, would old girlsx files and image folders work with the new release? It would certainly take a titanic effort to transfer my personalized harems into a new format.

It's a good question to bring up. It's not ideal to just port your girl packs straight in because like I said, this isn't really supposed to replace the official whore master game. Old girl packs won't be properly compatible with WMEdit (because WMEdit isn't properly compatible with WMEX), but they'll technically work in WMEX. If you just ported in girl packs with stats/traits like we have in most peoples' custom packs, they won't be properly balanced out. But it's not like I'm going to stop anyone from doing that and yes, you can do it. I might set a hard cap in the client so that girls are retroactively balanced whether you set all stats to 100 or not (before traits), so then the only point in WMEdit will be to set traits/names/description/age.

Old save files won't be compatible, because I douchebagged it! I might fix that, though.

Picture packs are compatible but not optimal. You'd get the same old pics for the new sex types (like oral sex would just show normal sex), but that's to be expected. I am making an effort to convert the biggest packs people have released to be compatible upon release, which is currently around 42 unique girls out of the 1000+ custom packs that exist. Once I have the game set up I'll concentrate on that a little more and of course people can mod their own packs as they see fit.

Offline ShikinamiFan91

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2011, 08:09:55 AM »
Sounds great, if you need help setting up some girls, let me know, I'll be happy to help out if you tell me what I need to do.

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2011, 01:31:43 PM »
Great idea indeed. If you need any help (maybe except for advanced coding  :) ), just tell us.

Offline THE FUTURE

« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2011, 05:58:50 PM »
Just an accurate list of traits for the girls I wrote in an above post if you've seen the series they're from. No real need to make a girlsx file, really, just a list works. Whatever traits from the official trait list.

Code-wise, I do have an issue I posted about in another topic. The official revision 643 of Whore Master has a new save system which is designed so that you can't add new unique girls to an already existing save for some reason, which is a fairly big problem.

Offline daxiang4

« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2011, 01:59:01 AM »
Nice!
Is it possible to implement girls traits level required? For example girl at max lvl have 20 traits defined in her config, but on lvl 0 she do not have any traits at all. At lvl 2 she will gain first trait from her config. It will require to add lvl req field to traits probably.  Or like it was in sim brothel. You receive action points for good sex and buy traits for these action points. Each trait shoud have price in ap is that case.

Also it would be nice to have some final objective. Like retire in 10 years and you must claim max brothels full of girls. Each girl should have rating. Sum of all girls ratings define final game score (but you must be able to continue playing). So there will be high score challenge at least. You will need to choose girls wisely instead of recruit all. And top girls should be hard to get (low % to encounter, or catacombs high rarity lvl).

Sorry for my engilsh. Regards

« Last Edit: October 03, 2011, 02:40:59 AM by daxiang4 »