devolution

Author Topic: Java based game  (Read 16515 times)

Offline Popuri

Java based game
« on: November 13, 2011, 09:57:48 AM »
Ok, so having made a little progress in my UI experiments, I'm going to go ahead and move forward a bit on my own game, vaguely based on WM.  Expect progress to be slow, but I'll post my alpha/beta on here once I move forward a bit.  Java based, so cross platform.

Major changes from WM that I have planned:

- Player chooses a part of town for first brothel.  Each has benefits/drawbacks (i.e. by the docks has more customers (sailors), but greater chance of violence/disease (sailors) ).
- Player stats.  The player will have stats and be male or female, with a portrait picked by the user.  Player will have job entries for shifts.  Female player can choose to work brothel shift.  Player can also personally supervise an area to give it a boost to obedience/profits.
- Gangs gone, replaced with 'Henchmen'.  Similar to girls, uses guy portraits, fill the old roles of gangs plus some more.
- Player only begins with a bar.  His brothel is expanded over time, adding rooms for actual brothel work, gambling hall, stage.  Girls have waitress and barmaid options at the bar to begin with, or whoring on streets, or other ones that don't involve working at home.
- Different jobs.  From Training to specific types, to 'Adventure' which includes exploring catacombs (alone or in a group of up to 4), mercenary work for city guard, or hired jobs for city's 'Adventurer Guild' which can take 1-4 weeks with increasing danger/prizes.
- Total overhaul to stats, traits, combat system.
Girl Stats: Attack, Defense (to hit or defend in combat), Strength, Toughness (to deal or absorb damage), Agility, Stamina (plays into job performance), beauty, charisma, intelligence, wits.  Obedience, loyalty (a girl might not be obedient to most, but loyal to her boss, raised by perks/rewards/bailing her out of jail), confidence, spirit.  PCLove/fear/hate.  Considering suspicion/disposition for girls and henches, altered by what jobs they do.
Player Stats: Attack, Defense, Strength, Toughness, etc. etc.  Suspicion, Disposition, Reputation (think PCFear for the city).
- Overhaul to graphics.  Will be a bit more 'cutesy'.
- Sibling/Relative/Teammate tracking.
- Brothel 'upgrades'.  Fence (reduces chance of runaways), Security Cameras (gives security a boost), Sauna (increases effects of rest), Employee lounge and upgrades (increases loyalty/happiness), etc. etc.

That's most of the major stuff I have planned, and I'm open to suggestions/offers to help.

Offline DarkTl

Re: Java based game
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2011, 10:34:55 AM »
I just hope it will work with the wm ex girls packs. It'll be such a pain to convert all of them _again_.

Offline Popuri

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2011, 10:42:55 AM »
It will not.  But, my plan is to have less girls active/available, and give them more depth.  As well, rivals!  For example:

A rival might be 'Forest Ninja Clan'.  Lead by Tsunade, contains Naruto girls/guys.  Combats with your rival are with them, and if you drive them out of business, they become available for hire/capture.

Offline Romanul

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2011, 11:29:21 AM »
What can i say? Great stuff, but the workload will be huge, I only hope you'll be able to finish the game. Or at least get it to a playable state.

Offline Popuri

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2011, 11:41:50 AM »
Any preference on a resolution, by the way?  I was intending 800 x 600 for now, to make sure anyone can use it.

Offline Crisis21

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2011, 12:57:56 PM »
It will not.  But, my plan is to have less girls active/available, and give them more depth.  As well, rivals!  For example:

A rival might be 'Forest Ninja Clan'.  Lead by Tsunade, contains Naruto girls/guys.  Combats with your rival are with them, and if you drive them out of business, they become available for hire/capture.

Oh, I have so many ideas from that line alone. Hopefully you will have an option in your game to load additional rivals. I have thoughts for a 'Nerima Wrecking Crew' of Ranma 1/2 characters and a 'Magical Girls' composed of the Sailor Senshi, Sakura from Cardcaptors, and Nanoha characters.

I love the idea of obedience and loyalty.

As for potential upgrades to the brothel, I'm thinking 'Beauty Parlor' which can be stocked with makeups and perfumes for renewing temporary beauty/charisma bonuses.

I'd personally like a 'community' items storage for items which your girls are free to take whenever they want, and a 'private' items list for things you want to control distribution of. Rather than selling their old items, girls return them to the 'community' list.

Will you be adding in magic to this game, or is that a wash?

Will this game contain pregnancy mechanics or not?

As much as I dislike drugs (just say no!), will you be including drugs/addictions and various cures/rehab programs for them?

Will the girls be able to increase their skills at certain jobs as they work?

Idea for locations:

Near town hall - Pros: Higher class, and thus higher paying, customers (politicians), lower chance of customers attacking your girls. Cons: Increased attention from the law (need to shell out more for bribes), More expensive.

Outskirts - Pros: Cheap, less attention from the law. Cons: Lower class, and thus lower paying, customers, higher chance of attacks by customers.

Red Light District - Pros: Noone cares that you run a brothel here (more customers). Cons: More competition from rivals.

Offline Popuri

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2011, 01:13:22 PM »
Magic will be included, simply forgot that.  My plan is to include 'cookie cutter' scripts, in a way.  When a girl-pack is made, have fill in the blank sections to set up her standardized scripted evens.

I would definitely like to add customizable rivals, as well.  Currently I'm fine tuning my UI and some of the basic logic.

The communal item pool sounds like a good idea, I'll have to figure out how I'm doing items.

Player/girls/henches will have stats and skills.  Skills and stats increase as they're used and range from 1-15.  Training skills/stats caps at 5, traits can add another 5 to stats, or 10 to skills, and equipment can add up to 5 to stats.  i.e. 5 strength, traits for another 5 strength, then say, a weapon for the last +5 (or martial artist trait).  Traits will have tiers in some cases, or be one offs for others.

I plan to include pregnancy and drugs, but they probably won't be a big focus.  No instant drug cures though.  Instead, if a girl has an addiction, opens an option for re-hab.

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2011, 02:19:24 PM »
There're a lot of interesting suggestions about the new traits, I hope we'll see some of them in your game.
And btw do you plan to make them mostly permanent, like in original wm, or use Future's conception?

Offline Popuri

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2011, 03:38:37 PM »
There're a lot of interesting suggestions about the new traits, I hope we'll see some of them in your game.
And btw do you plan to make them mostly permanent, like in original wm, or use Future's conception?

Some of them, I might use.  For the most part, they may be permanent.  I'll have to play some more.  I'm not sure on all the details of Future's use of them, but there are some things I'd like to do.  I like WM's 'Enjoyment' stat for jobs.  I'd like to involve traits with that.  i.e. A girl with 'Adventurer' gains additional enjoyment doing Adventuring jobs.

Offline crazy

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2011, 12:49:00 AM »
Sounds great, but have a few questions.

Seeing as your reworking combat does that mean we are going to get an arena and if so whats the plan for it?

Do you plan on doing player housing?  Marriage?

Seen you say you start with only a bar and add on slowly.  Will all of the brothels be the same once fully upgraded or will they be different?  I always liked the ideal of having different buildings to run instead of all brothels like maybe a spa, item shop, or other things.

Will the sex act restrction be per girl or building always wanted to specialize girls for only a few sex acts.

Any plans for virginity always thought it should mean something in the game?

Thought an auction house would be a nice thing to have you could sell high skill girls, virginity, maybe have girls trained for certain jobs that you can sell for high price once the training is done.  Could sell rare items on it also.

Any plans for new ways to acquire girls besides what you already said?  Have them come to you looking for work would just be an example of one way.

Whats your end game plans?  Always wanted another much harder town to conquer in WM once the game ended.

Game still going have random girls?

Any plans to expanded the politics of the game?  Always hated that you just set a high bribe rate and then never worry about it again.  Maybe have more or harder ways to keep the mayor happy.  Throw parties (at the players house if you have player housing), have to send him girls for his private use, black mail him.  Just something to make it more interesting.

The jobs you listed sound good but are you going cut any of the current jobs?  WM use to have a movie job you going have that?  And I guess you would be open to job suggestions cause there are a lot of good suggestions out there.

Have a place in between brothel and dungeon where girls are sent 1st if there poorly trained or whatever.  Where maybe you can play a more nice guy route to making the girls work for you or just send them on to the dungeon if you don't.

Some ways to get the city to actually like the player.  I find it impossable in the current WM to play a nice guy so a way to play the nice guy would be a nice change.  Though I do guess playing a game where you run brothels and try and take over a town it would be hard to do a nice route so maybe just a nicer route lol.

http://pinkpetal.org/index.php?topic=215.0 going post that link if you haven't seen it read it over yet you should get some good ideals on building upgrades or custom buildings if you wanted to go that far.

Im sure I could come up with more but I think that is enough for now.

Offline Popuri

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2011, 08:14:00 AM »
Whew, bunch of questions.

I do intend to do an arena, though the player won't own it.  It'll be part of the city, and your girls will fight monsters or rivals.

I hadn't planned on player housing yet.  I'm assuming the player lives at the 'bar/brothel'.  I hadn't read that post you linked though, and I do like the idea of limiting the number of upgrades a place can have, to force the player to spread out and specialize.

I haven't gotten far enough with my code to worry about the sex act restriction.  I plan on giving jobs a tag for what kind of job they are, and it should affect girls' reluctance based on their traits.  (i.e. a girl is more likely to disobey a sexual job unless they're a nympho, or an adventurer/aggressive girl is less likely to turn down a catacombs/arena type deal). EDIT: (Also, may just have the appropriate traits boost/lower the girl's Enjoyment stat for the various jobs)

Virginity will be handled via trait, as it is in WM.

Random girls will be a must, as many of the popular unique girls will be part of rival bands at first.  I do like the idea of extending politics into that, like, say, you ally with a rival band, and they might let  you hire one of theirs, but you provide them with support.

No current plans for an auction house, though I may revisit the idea later.

My total list of jobs is not yet finalized, though I'm unsure on the whole movie thing.  The setting is kind of weird, tech-wise, given the sheer number of overlapping fandoms.

Rest assured, though.  Being a nice guy is going to be _very_ viable.  As a few examples:

Adventuring -> Work for the Guard -> Your girl works with the city watch, reducing your suspicion and improving your standing with the townsfolk.

General Jobs -> Healer for Town (will have Healer for brothel too) -> She works at the local hospital, helping the city's doctors.

As well, arena girls who do well will quickly earn rep and attention for the player.

In fact, being evil might get you obedience faster, but it's not going to build loyalty, and holds potential consequences with authorities.

« Last Edit: November 16, 2011, 08:15:33 AM by Popuri »

mothballd

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2011, 10:06:53 PM »
I'm a CS student learning Java so if you need help with anything let me know.   My skillset is still limited but figure I can help with some of the more mundane things if you need it.
Love the concept and look forward to seeing it come to fruition!

Offline Popuri

« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2011, 09:20:08 PM »
I appreciate the offer Mothballd, but still pretty early in my development process.  Laying out my logic and GUI plans.

Also, distracted by Skyrim. <.<

Offline Lurker

« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2011, 01:22:20 PM »
Also, distracted by Skyrim. <.<

Who isn't? xD

Offline Mak

• Donator
  • PETA=People Eating Tasty Animals
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2011, 01:45:01 PM »
- Overhaul to graphics.  Will be a bit more 'cutesy'.

This was stuck in my head as I read all the posts...I'm curious as to how that will work in this type of game. Guess I'll have to wait and see.

Sounds interesting.

A suggestion: It would probably add a lot to planning, work, and coding so I don't expect to see it but I thought it would be interesting if where battles against rivals take place could offer advantages and disadvantages based on traits. (As extreme examples since I don't know what type of characters and traits will exist,) say a catgirl would have an advantage fighting in a dark forest while a slime girl would have an advantage fighting in a swamp.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2011, 06:30:42 PM by Mak »
There's a place for all the planet's creatures, it's next to the mashed potatoes.