Author Topic: <-- Archived --> **Traits Concept  (Read 50562 times)

Offline DarkTl

Re: Traits Concept
« Reply #90 on: December 17, 2014, 11:25:29 AM »
...You guys keep insisting that I read mangas like there is no tomorrow, but the only manga I ever truly read is soul eater, because they distorted the story in the anime completely.
Propose a better system instead, I dare you.

Offline livingforever

« Reply #91 on: December 17, 2014, 11:47:11 AM »
Hi!
Let me try to get some things clear:
...You guys keep insisting that I read mangas like there is no tomorrow
No. But the terms in question originated from mangas and that's where they are mostly used. That you learned them elsewhere doesn't change their origin.
And unfortunately, PyTFall is not a manga.

Propose a better system instead, I dare you.
Challenge accepted.
Just kidding, it's not about the system. The problem is that the system was designed for multiple descriptive terms. The terms that you are defending here however are archetypes. Archetypes are mutually exclusive, descriptive terms are not.
Both approaches are acceptable, but not combined. We have to settle for one.

So it's either descriptive terms as they are now but without the archetypes (which could be replaced by a few extra terms) or archetypes only (that should then be translated into english).
Have fun!

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #92 on: December 18, 2014, 09:46:14 AM »
Why is that? Even when using archetypes, there are different characters exist. There could not be tsundere+yandere. But there could be tomboy+tsundere, just tsundere or just tomboy.

Offline livingforever

« Reply #93 on: December 18, 2014, 01:07:02 PM »
Hi!
Why is that?
Because that would defeat the purpose of archetypes.
Also, tomboy is not an archetype.
Have fun!

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #94 on: December 19, 2014, 09:00:56 AM »
- You just said that we should not combine archetypes and descriptive terms. Tsundere is archetype, tomboy is descriptive term. Without having both of them we cannot describe some personalities.
- Archetypes are not all-embracing. There are differences between characters of the same archetype. Descriptive terms help us to describe those differences.
- If English is your native language, you have better chances to translate ~dere terms properly than me.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2014, 09:07:12 AM by DarkTl »

Offline livingforever

« Reply #95 on: December 19, 2014, 11:49:47 AM »
Hi!
- You just said that we should not combine archetypes and descriptive terms. Tsundere is archetype, tomboy is descriptive term. Without having both of them we cannot describe some personalities.
- Archetypes are not all-embracing. There are differences between characters of the same archetype. Descriptive terms help us to describe those differences.
- If English is your native language, you have better chances to translate ~dere terms properly than me.
Valid points, especially the second one.
Let me say it like this: I never said that we can't have archetypes and descriptions, I only said that having both as traits doesn't make sense.
Splitting it (like Xela proposed) into a personality type (archetype) and talents (traits) might not be such a bad idea.

I still think that replacing each archetype with a few descriptive traits is the easiest solution though.

Also, I'm not a native English speaker either.
Have fun!
« Last Edit: December 20, 2014, 02:10:47 PM by livingforever »