Author Topic: Opening Dimensional Portals  (Read 7365 times)

Offline betatester

Opening Dimensional Portals
« on: January 12, 2010, 04:53:23 AM »
I think it could be nice if each unique girl could have her origin as an attribute (like naruto, marvel comics, vandread and so on)

One of the consequence could be "if you yant being able to meet "Street Fighter" girl) you must open a portal to the street fighter universe first)

And opening portals cost money... more and more money (you win too much cash anyway)
And portals need maintenance (and gold)

And keeping portals open make events happen (a girl is going through and can now be found walking, in slave market or catacombs or a girl is going back (too late try another time), or perhaps friends try to help a girl evasion, a rival gang from this universe is settling (for this yo need a change in gangs settings)

Portals can be closed but there's a chance that each girls from this universe will disepeared
Portals coud be a category like gangs and girls in the turn summary
Portals could even ave an interface screen on their own

With these settings on:
- random generic girls are more interesting (no portals needed)
- You can choose witch girls will appear (since you open portals)
- Another use for your gold

exodia91

Re: Opening Dimensional Portals
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2010, 02:53:54 PM »
....then custom made girls would break the game even more, since they wouldn't come from portals. Besides, this completely erases how girls are currently gained, and would be a major change. It doesn't really add anything, isn't really practical for player made girls without major changes, and I personally don't like it, because it completely kills my current idea of Crossgate I have in my head.

Offline DocClox

• Dev Team
  • Messing Around With Python
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2010, 03:25:58 PM »
I tend to agree. I can see having portals as a fun way to get some girls, but I don't think the idea suits Crossgate as a general mechanism.

It could be a fun idea for a city mod though. You could handle the origin attribute as a suer defined trait, and define the portal as a brothel/dungeon facility. Then it boils down to the same case as using a machine shop to create new construct girls.

Offline Alugere

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2010, 03:36:17 PM »
I'd have to agree that this wouldn't fit. From what I can tell, dimensional portals are natural occurrences that only occur in the catacombs deep beneath the city to which only the player has access. Artificial portals make the whole point of the catacombs somewhat unnecessary.

Offline ShiningRadiance

• I command thee!
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2010, 06:17:11 PM »
How about making it so...

Crossgate is only open at certain times, making it difficult to navigate, because it can randomly close.

However, you can build technology to keep the portals open at times you can control, and such.

At the start, only one gang can go in each day, and there's a chance none can return because it closes before they can return.

But then you can build up to the number of portals that's equal to your gang members for high costs. It'll also require maintenance as more people enter into it.

Just something to think about. Make it so the place is basically unstable and you want to bring control to it to navigate it easier.
Please treat me well even though I don't deserve it.

Offline Alugere

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2010, 07:10:11 PM »
How about making it so...

Crossgate is only open at certain times, making it difficult to navigate, because it can randomly close.

However, you can build technology to keep the portals open at times you can control, and such.

At the start, only one gang can go in each day, and there's a chance none can return because it closes before they can return.

But then you can build up to the number of portals that's equal to your gang members for high costs. It'll also require maintenance as more people enter into it.

Just something to think about. Make it so the place is basically unstable and you want to bring control to it to navigate it easier.
But that's why people get stuck in the catacombs for the gangs to find them: The portal closes behind the person. Keeping the portals open would be counter productive.

Offline DocClox

• Dev Team
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2010, 08:32:34 PM »
The way I see it is like this:

Imagine that all universes have four dimensions: length, breadth, depth and time.  Imagine you can collapse that universe down into two dimensions, so that all the realities there are float around in 3D space, like loose pages blown on the wind. OK?

Now the trouble with Mundiga is that bits of the page that universe resides upon have been torn. There are loose strands that fray and blow in the wind outside the plane of the main universe. Sometimes that means they brush up against other pages, other universes. That's when a portal opens and people and things can fall out of their own reality and into Mundiga.

The whole of Crossgate is slightly frayed in this sense, particularly the marketplace for some reason. That's why pretty strangers are so often found wandering there, dazed and confused. The catacombs on the other hand are very bedly frayed. They're flapping around loose in higher space which is why they seem to constantly shift and change, and they intersect many, many worlds. In fact they'd probably have detatched from Mundiga entirely save that some long dead archmage worked out a spell to bind a portion of catacomb-space to normal space-time. Or what passes for normal in Crossgate, anyway.

So you get a portal at the start of the game: it leads into the catacombs where all manner of weirdness may be found. There are also transient portals that open in the city at large. And it's by no means impossible that at some future point, modders will be able to create items or rooms that open custom portals to specific worlds, either to summon girls, or as the setup for event sequences.

You could get a good setup for a city mod from that...

One day, the PC leads a catacomb mission. No big deal. Got to do it from time to time; keeps goon morale high and shows that you're not asking them to do anything you're afraid to do yourself. This time however, things go wrong, and instead of a portal opening and pulling someone into the catacombs, one opens the other way and drops the PC into a different world.

You find yourself in a high-tech world. Science rules, magic is weak to non-existent. If the player wants to get back home, he'll need someone to build a machine that can generate a space-time bridge back to Crossgate. To raise sufficent resources for that, he's going to need to dominate the city, like he did in Crossgate.

But it's not going to be easy. After all, the rules are completely different here. Still, there's one universal rule he understands well: there's always a market for sex.

Offline betatester

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2010, 06:02:39 AM »
My portals mechanism is not an easier way to get girls.
You get no girls with the portal.
A portal is just necessary to have the normal opportunity to get the girls in the catacombs, with the visit town action or the slave market

It's a way to have unique girls more difficult to get since you need the portal to be build

And yes the portals are in the catacombs where the links between dimensions are easier to break.

exodia91

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2010, 02:20:19 PM »
No one said it made it easier. And portals won't work with player made girls without major code revisions, and they make up the vast majority of unique girls, thus rendering this pointless. It doesn't add anything worth major game changes, it simply over complicates things.

Offline zodiac44

• Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2010, 02:34:40 PM »
Yeah, it would have needed support in the early development stages to be practical.  Even then, there are so many girls from so many different "universes" that portal management would become a nightmare in and of itself.  It's a cool idea, but it needs to be implemented in a different game (preferably one with either a) fewer girls or b) few "universes" with large numbers of girls in each).
Capitalization is the difference between "I had to help my uncle Jack off a horse" and "I had to help my uncle jack off a horse."

Offline DocClox

• Dev Team
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2010, 02:48:16 PM »
I don't know. By the time I get done with the scripting changes I have planned, it should be possible to do this as a mod. It's be a bit of work for the modder, but doable, certainly.

I can't see it entering the default game, mind.

Offline zodiac44

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2010, 03:39:50 PM »
You could certainly simulate the effect through scripting.  Rewrite the "walk" script to "Open a portal" and have there be a chance that a girl stumbles through.  When the scripting system is redone, I imagine it will be possible to do a great deal more than that, as well.
Capitalization is the difference between "I had to help my uncle Jack off a horse" and "I had to help my uncle jack off a horse."

Offline Alugere

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2010, 08:52:22 PM »
My portals mechanism is not an easier way to get girls.
You get no girls with the portal.
A portal is just necessary to have the normal opportunity to get the girls in the catacombs, with the visit town action or the slave market

It's a way to have unique girls more difficult to get since you need the portal to be build

And yes the portals are in the catacombs where the links between dimensions are easier to break.

From what I've been reading, if all the portals are only in the catacombs, then no girl from the portals will ever end up in the town or slave market as the catacombs don't connect to the city anywhere except the player's first brothel.

Offline Savagefrog

« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2010, 11:17:22 PM »
I like the idea of leading the a gang mission into the catacombs an getting sucked into a new universe an having to start all over again just to get home.

Offline zodiac44

« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2010, 11:38:14 PM »
From what I've been reading, if all the portals are only in the catacombs, then no girl from the portals will ever end up in the town or slave market as the catacombs don't connect to the city anywhere except the player's first brothel.

Nothing says the catacombs don't exit anywhere else in Crossgate; all the intro says is that the Catacombs lie below the player's dungeon.  It would be quite odd, in fact, for any system of underground tunnels to have only one access point.  Personally, I had imagined that they run under the entire city, with uncountable entrances and exits appearing all over the city - some permanent, like the one the player uses, others temporary.