Author Topic: Suggestion for new graphical front-end  (Read 3348 times)

Offline omnislash

Suggestion for new graphical front-end
« on: January 12, 2010, 08:45:13 PM »
I know at the the present moment Whore Master is using SDL for all of it's drawing; however, if you are ever planning on upgrading the graphical front-end of the game (for Whore Master 2.0 maybe?) might I suggest using Haaf's Game Engine?

A few months back I was developing a game very similar to Whore Master which was inspired by the original SimBrothel. My plan was to implement the front-end of the game using Haaf's Game Engine as it looked fairly easy to use and had all of the functionality I was after.

I scrapped my game because of lack of time; however, I thought you guys might find the idea an interesting one to play with.

Offline delta224

• Dev Team
Re: Suggestion for new graphical front-end
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2010, 08:56:19 PM »
I think we're going to stick with sdl. Mainly for the fact that it is more portable to non windows operating systems.  Besides sdl is not that complicated.

Offline DocClox

• Dev Team
  • Messing Around With Python
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2010, 09:46:14 PM »
Looks cool, but requires ActiveX. Which would rule me out of the development team, since I run Linux, and for obvious reasons, I prefer to work on projects I can run natively.

Which isn't to say we couldn't someday use a decent GUI toolkit. Even so, there are advantages to doing everything low level :)

Offline delta224

• Dev Team
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2010, 11:24:21 PM »
It requires DirectX not ActiveX, two different things.  They are both windows only but serve two seperate functions.

Offline DocClox

• Dev Team
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2010, 04:44:42 AM »
Yeah, that's what I meant to say. shouldn't post that late at night.

Offline omnislash

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2010, 05:21:55 AM »
Oops, didn't realise you wanted to make the game cross-platform. Yeah, probably better you stick to SDL then.

I was going to use HGE because I develop on a Windows 7 platform at the moment. Although I have developed for Linux and Mac OS X as well I'm less familiar with them.

How many people do you have on the development team for this game? I was flying it solo which is why mine crashed and burned. Just curious to see how many ingenius minds you have backing this title?

Offline DocClox

• Dev Team
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2010, 05:47:29 AM »
Well, necno started it out as a Windows game. I got interested because it used SDL and I could get a native Linux version going.

As for the dev team, it's basically necno, delta224 and myself on the main gaim. Solo looks after the editor, and Dagoth does some work on the UI aspects, as well as providing the forum.

And yeah, having made some solo/long coder efforts myself, it is a lot easier when it's not just you.

Offline omnislash

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2010, 05:26:39 AM »
Nice. Yeah, I have found that going it alone more than likely leads to failure. However, I also feel that finding a team which is cohesive is tough. Often there are a lot of differences in opinion which can lead to problems as well. By the look of things you guys have a cohesive team because of the amount of progress you make. Best of luck :D