devolution

Author Topic: Scripting engine question  (Read 20157 times)

Offline fixet

Re: Scripting engine question
« Reply #30 on: September 08, 2010, 07:28:47 PM »
@ sir tweaker
you seem to have some serious communication issues, dear sir

your apparent habit of using capital letters mid-word and in words that do not warrant capitalization, as well as accentuating certain words, sometimes multiple non-adjacent words in a sentence using italics and such only serves to affirm the impression

you may have noticed I write this in a rather gentlemanly manner
that is because I wish you to consider this not an insult, but rather a gentlemanly gesture; a chance for you to improve your own gentlemanliness, one gentleman to another

@lorde
to be perfectly honest, 5 million is a pathetic sum for a publisher
they had no right to throw a tantrum about anything
and it's not that 3dr had nothing to show for the 12 years they worked on it, they just wanted more
say what you will, but what we saw under that gearbox label was all 3d realms

Offline Tweaker69

« Reply #31 on: September 08, 2010, 07:50:36 PM »
@ sir tweaker
you seem to have some serious communication issues, dear sir

your apparent habit of using capital letters mid-word and in words that do not warrant capitalization, as well as accentuating certain words, sometimes multiple non-adjacent words in a sentence using italics and such only serves to affirm the impression

you may have noticed I write this in a rather gentlemanly manner
that is because I wish you to consider this not an insult, but rather a gentlemanly gesture; a chance for you to improve your own gentlemanliness, one gentleman to another

Wow, and here I was thinking you wrote all of this simply to be a complete douchebag. I shall endeavor to communicate as effectively and as politely as your posts tend to be, bitch. There, that should about do it.

Offline Lorde

• Accepting requests for girl expansion packs.
« Reply #32 on: September 08, 2010, 08:01:46 PM »

@lorde
to be perfectly honest, 5 million is a pathetic sum for a publisher
they had no right to throw a tantrum about anything

I don't think it was the money but the time involved and the tantrums 3dr threw when asked to show something. "It'll be done when it's done!" Is the worst thing you can say in the gaming industry. And even though 5 mil is a drop in the bucket, it's still 5 mil for services that where not rendered. And with little indication of when they would be.

and it's not that 3dr had nothing to show for the 12 years they worked on it, they just wanted more

And that's the problem. You touched on the theory before that 3DR was building the game, saw that it was outdated and wanted to build it better. Well that's great and all, but they did that for 12 years. At some point, someone had to have realized they where never gonna catch up with "churn" and should have released what they had.

say what you will, but what we saw under that gearbox label was all 3d realms

Won't contest this. However, I will say Gearbox developing the game (Even if they just tidied up loose ends) is best for the Franchise. 3DR had a huge Amount of expectation built up around the game. And it only increased as the years wore on. Nothing 3DR released would have been good enough. (Wasn't there a joke floating around that the game had better cure cancer in order to be worth the 10+ year wait?) So under new development, the game has a shot of being taken seriously after it is released.
Current Girl Work Schedule            
* Revy  (Black Lagoon)
* Stab at The series He is my Master
* Run Elsie Jewelria and Yuuki Rito (To Love Ru)
* Yukari Takeba (Persona 3)
* Work on the Code Geass girls

Offline fixet

« Reply #33 on: September 08, 2010, 08:13:17 PM »
@ lord tweaker
you are not very apt to acting a gentleman

I also fail to see what a tool of vaginal hygiene  has to do with the discussion at hand
unless, of course, as a device that introduces a stream of liquid into a vagina, it was used as a metaphor for a penis
so, I'd assume you are insulting my honor by comparing me to a penis. however, you then proceed to call me a female dog, which, to the best of my knowledge, possesses no external reproductive organs. this conundrum has me rather perplexed, you see, as I am having a bit of trouble determining the common denominator of the two

you, sir, are an enigma

@lorde
I'd call it misguided perfectionism
and, while I agree with you, I respect 3d realms' sense of commitment with no palpable product much more than the developers and publishers taking their games and fanbase lightly, churning out half-assed products for the masses (or rather, their money)

Offline Lorde

« Reply #34 on: September 08, 2010, 08:25:39 PM »
I don't think it was so much a sense of commitment as a sense of panic. The more they worked on it, the more expectation grew and the more they "knew" they wouldn't reach that expectation.

I mean, a game going 1 year over production elicits grumbling from the masses (Half life 2 episode 3 anyone?) 3 years over and you had better release something, anything. 12 years over and people like me are gonna make jokes about you circle jerking in your office on a web forum.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2010, 08:30:52 PM by Lorde »
* Revy  (Black Lagoon)

Offline fixet

« Reply #35 on: September 08, 2010, 08:32:33 PM »
ep 3 is probably a bad example, as the masses aren't grumbling, and gabe doesn't give a shit

I doubt they were panicking after years of not releasing dnf

Offline Lorde

« Reply #36 on: September 08, 2010, 08:35:11 PM »
I'm grumbling  :D
* Revy  (Black Lagoon)

Offline Tweaker69

« Reply #37 on: September 08, 2010, 10:37:30 PM »
First of all, my sincere apologies to the OP for my part in derailing this thread.

@ lord tweaker
you are not very apt to acting a gentleman
(Looks over fixet's posting history)  :D

I also fail to see what a tool of vaginal hygiene  has to do with the discussion at hand
unless, of course, as a device that introduces a stream of liquid into a vagina, it was used as a metaphor for a penis
so, I'd assume you are insulting my honor by comparing me to a penis. however, you then proceed to call me a female dog, which, to the best of my knowledge, possesses no external reproductive organs. this conundrum has me rather perplexed, you see, as I am having a bit of trouble determining the common denominator of the two
I can't be held responsible for the extent of your limited powers of understanding. If I had known you were so severely handicapped, I wouldn't have engaged you in diuscussion at all, as it is unfair to confuse the mentally challenged for shits and giggles. (That means: "for fun")

you, sir, are an enigma
Oh boy! I guess that puts me right up there with polysyllabic words and unpeeled bananas in your eyes. What an honor... I'm now going to join the entirety of the (human) female population by completely ignoring you. Thanks for playing.

Offline Abtakha

« Reply #38 on: September 09, 2010, 03:56:52 AM »
Don't we have a topic for, y'know, going... off-topic on? ;)
There will be exceptions to everything I say, without exception

Offline fixet

« Reply #39 on: September 09, 2010, 06:31:11 AM »
female
oh, dear, that does explain a lot

but why do you carry such a burning hatred towards douchebags?
one would think you wouldn't call a stranger you do not seem fond of the name of a device that keeps your vagina clean

Don't we have a topic for, y'know, going... off-topic on? ;)
we do?

Offline Abtakha

« Reply #40 on: September 09, 2010, 11:40:03 AM »
Hasn't been used since March, but it's still there. :o

Offline fixet

« Reply #41 on: September 09, 2010, 01:04:22 PM »
I would like to apologize, tweaker69

I thought you said "rest of the female population", which led me to believe you were a woman, and since women can't be gentlemen, I assumed you were offended

however, rereading your post, I see that is not the case, and you were actually implying women find me repulsive
aside the fact such conclusions virtually always come from personal experience, I'll have you know quite a few women find me quite dashing
I am muscular, have blue eyes, and a red goddamn beard. that's right, I am like the young clint eastwood, if he had a mesmerizing cerulian stare that could cause a heart attack and was a pirate

and what do you have? nothing
you have your little generic internet handle with silly numbers at the end to distinguish you from every other tweaker, you have your social misadjustments, and your internet rage

one day, when you are old and alone at your computer, you will hear the roaring thunder of twelve trucks pulling a massive trailer upon which shall lie the most amazing sight your sub-par eyes will ever be set upon. a colossal ship of wood and silk, its 213 side canons staring you down, and above them, somewhere close to the mast, you will see two blue dots. and just as the realization sets in, you will grab at your chest, jut in time to feel that last, painful pump of your heart. you will curse me with your last breath, but I won't even know you were there.

and that is how much more awesome than you I am
I'd thank you for playing, but you never even got to the bench

Offline Lorde

« Reply #42 on: September 09, 2010, 01:07:55 PM »
Hasn't been used since March, but it's still there. :o

Isn't going off topic in an off topic thread On Topic and therefore paradoxical?  ;D
* Revy  (Black Lagoon)

Offline Tweaker69

« Reply #43 on: September 09, 2010, 05:37:16 PM »
Isn't going off topic in an off topic thread On Topic and therefore paradoxical?  ;D

I tried to post off-topic in that thread when it first started, but right before I clicked "submit" my keyboard exploded.

Offline Abtakha

« Reply #44 on: September 10, 2010, 01:13:23 AM »
I tried to post off-topic in that thread when it first started, but right before I clicked "submit" my keyboard exploded.

Seems you're better off than those who's heads 'sploded within the first few pages :D