Author Topic: Income and girls stealing  (Read 2427 times)

Offline zodiac44

• Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
Income and girls stealing
« on: December 15, 2009, 01:37:30 AM »
I suggest we make a slight change to the way the player's take from girls' activities is handled.  Currently, the game displays how much the girl was paid and what the player's take of that total is.  The problem with this system is that it makes detecting thieves trivial: if the amount the player receives < income * house take, then the girl is stealing (allowing some small room for rounding errors).  I suggest the following:

1) Only display what the customer pays the girl if you have goons assigned to watching the girls, and only then if they happen to observe the transaction take place.
2) Girls should be more inclined to keep the tips they receive from customers, rather than handing them over to the player.
3) Slave girls should have a chance of keeping their tips and stealing from the player as well, though it might be lower than free girls.

Alternatively, when we get the girls-assigned-as-matrons implemented, all transactions could go through the matron.  Customers pay the matron for services, and then tip the girls at their discretion.  The matron gives the girls their cut and passes the profits on to the player, but she might skim off the top, "forgetting" to record some transactions.  Gangs assigned to spy duty might notice something fishy going on; ambitious girls might report the matron's theft, hoping for a promotion.
Capitalization is the difference between "I had to help my uncle Jack off a horse" and "I had to help my uncle jack off a horse."

Offline letmein

Re: Income and girls stealing
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2009, 01:54:57 AM »
Well, first of all, the thing with girls stealing is that I'm not about to check *every single girl* and compare numbers.

Really, I don't see why stealing should be changed.  I don't really want to see it become an integral part of the game - I think it would just be annoying to have to deal with it, and not really be fun.  The matron money thing is, to my mind, another case of 'complicating, not really adding anything'.
Still lurking.

Offline zodiac44

• Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2009, 03:30:47 AM »
I don't check the girls to see if they are stealing either, but that doesn't mean that it isn't trivial to do so.  I really only thought of this because I was reading over some code Doc posted in the dev section and saw how theft was handled.
Capitalization is the difference between "I had to help my uncle Jack off a horse" and "I had to help my uncle jack off a horse."

Offline DocClox

• Dev Team
  • Messing Around With Python
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2009, 03:56:57 AM »
The simple solution is to put a bit of random wobble in the girl's pay, and then to only report the amount she earns post-stealing. You might suspect, but without spies you couldn't be sure.