Author Topic: Off-Topic:  (Read 163569 times)

Offline letmein

Re: Off-Topic:
« Reply #360 on: March 09, 2010, 02:09:22 PM »
IIRC, there are supposed to be a couple guys slowly working on that over at the Palace.  the dev is not a native English speaker.  Either way, adding polish can be done anytime, whereas getting the core mechanics down is best done quickly while you're still highly motivated.  I can't fault the priorities.

You could argue that WM took the same route, somewhat.  The original version I played (and hell, even the current one) has some idiosyncracies of style and design, which are mostly ignored by everyone in favor of making the mechanics better.
Still lurking.

Offline Hedonismbot

« Reply #361 on: March 16, 2010, 01:46:42 AM »
Not to be that guy, but I've been working on an HHS remake myself.  I'm trying to stick it a little closer to the original.  Aztek (I think that's his name) seems to be just riffing on the general idea of HHS, and doing something much more original.  I'm trying to mostly recreate Pooolka's game, and change out a few things I didn't like, and grow some different mechanics.  It's quite far from feature-complete, but I'd be happy to post a link if anyone's interested.

Offline Graen

« Reply #362 on: March 16, 2010, 05:10:39 AM »
Post away, the more games/projects the merrier. ;)

Offline letmein

« Reply #363 on: March 16, 2010, 01:53:46 PM »
Ditto to that.
Still lurking.

Offline Hedonismbot

« Reply #364 on: March 16, 2010, 06:27:44 PM »
http://anonym.to/?http://www.4shared.com/dir/29450247/fd361b90/sharing.html

It's only version 0.1, so there's plenty missing.  Also, you gotta poke around a bit to get the feel for it.  The interface isn't documented.  There is no help file.  Your gods have abandoned you.  Etc.

I'm more than happy to answer questions or fix whatever you find.

Offline letmein

« Reply #365 on: March 16, 2010, 07:44:43 PM »
Checking it out now.  Just for completeness' sake, you may wish to cross-post it to the "Other Games" thread.
Still lurking.

Offline letmein

« Reply #366 on: March 17, 2010, 01:04:51 AM »
Looks like an excellent start, to me.  No obvious bugs after finishing twice.

[hopefully] helpful comments:

"Picture" events don't seem to do much beyond lose you a rep or two, on rare occasions, and only from the gym.  Is that true?

Money isn't balanced.  It's pretty good in the first 5-10 years, when you really need to consider what to use it on, but from then on you hit the point where you literally can't spend it fast enough.  Likely solution:  get more stuff to buy, perhaps through building expansions.

On that point, you can't expand the school...  I'm assuming this bit is still in development?

I'm not sure it's possible, or even desirable, to get all the teachers.  I certainly never came close - and I found that getting a new teacher was more annoying than helpful once you had ~4 of them, since they were untrained.

No new classes yet?  Or rather, you can't get any but the starting ones?

Interface seems pretty intuitive and mostly smooth, while following the original HHS 'feel'.  Definite plus on that point, IMHO.

Nice job on finding some new pictures that blend well with the old ones.

My general feel is that it's very good, and even as-is it's playable.  It's a little sparse, but at least a person will sit and play through the whole 20 years.  I can't wait to see what this becomes in another couple months.
Still lurking.

Offline Hedonismbot

« Reply #367 on: March 17, 2010, 01:21:15 AM »
Glad to hear you liked it so far.  Just as you were mentioning, buildings are next on the list.  It should bring in the too-much-money-nothing-to-do issue, as they are both purchasable and upgradeable.  The upgrades to buildings will make for automagical increases in stats every quarter, which will in turn allow you to push the teachers and naughty levels higher.

I'll keep an eye on the value of starting teachers.  I have a 'currency' system coming soon.  Kinda like those big dots along the top of the interface in the original.  Upgrading the starting stats of all teachers would be a great thing to purchase.

The events having little effect is intentional for now.  I'm planning on variously rarity classes for events.  About half will be neat little pictures and nothing else.  The more rare classes will have decisions, and actual stat changes (among other things).  All that is planned though.  I'm really happy the interface worked out for you.  That's been my main worry so far.

Offline Graen

« Reply #368 on: March 18, 2010, 09:37:06 AM »
http://anonym.to/?http://www.4shared.com/dir/29450247/fd361b90/sharing.html

It's only version 0.1, so there's plenty missing.  Also, you gotta poke around a bit to get the feel for it.  The interface isn't documented.  There is no help file.  Your gods have abandoned you.  Etc.

I'm more than happy to answer questions or fix whatever you find.
Sorry it took me so long to get back to you.

It's definitely a great start, and feels very much like a sequel to the original HHS.  There are a few gameplay issues I have a problem with though.

First, The between quarters activities are a bit overwhelming at first.  Maybe start with only a few, and then unlock more as the player progresses through the seasons/years.

Second, All the teachers seem to be the same with just different names, it'd be nice if the teachers each had a specialty like the first HHS where they would teach better in that class.

Also, each year pretty much feels like the first one, progression just seems too slow in the game.  About the only thing you need to worry about is running out of money.

---

Finally, if you want to keep using this forum to discuss your game, and each new version, might I suggest creating a new thread dedicated to it?  Or point us to another forum where a dedicated discussion thread can be found.

Offline Hedonismbot

« Reply #369 on: March 18, 2010, 07:02:54 PM »
I really like your idea of cutting back on the quarterly selections.  For instance, the leftmost three on the bottom row (starting with standardized tests) give reputation based on how high your academic stats are.  Since they are always crap int he beginning, those three buttons are just traps for beginners.  I'll take those out until you raise them to a reasonable point.  Also, I'll try to find a good level to bring in the teacher conferences for the same reason.  That should make it a touch less daunting on the first playthrough.

What you mentioned about the teachers is true, and I have plans to greatly improve their levels of interesting as development goes on.  Most of the drive to play from one turn to the next will come from the visit events (the naughty bits), which need to grow considerably both in variety and in complexity.  I want to get some of the decisions and repercussions the original had there, and add more.  The whole dullness thing will get much better as I add different school policies, clubs, buildings, and the such to get some complex decisions in there.

As for making my own thread, I'm new here.  I don't know if that'd be cool with the admins.  After all, this is at heart a board dedicated to WM.  I'd hate to be too aggressive at hawking my game here and step on toes.  Do you think it'd be cool if I make my own little thread here?

Offline Graen

« Reply #370 on: March 18, 2010, 08:08:38 PM »
As for making my own thread, I'm new here.  I don't know if that'd be cool with the admins.  After all, this is at heart a board dedicated to WM.  I'd hate to be too aggressive at hawking my game here and step on toes.  Do you think it'd be cool if I make my own little thread here?
"It's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission." ;)

That said, I look forward to seeing more from your version of Hentai High School.

Offline Hedonismbot

« Reply #371 on: March 18, 2010, 08:50:25 PM »
Real quick, I've updated the code to reflect the changes I mentioned above.  The bottom four buttons in quarterly selections don't appear unless they are at all reasonable to use.  For instance, you can't give standardized tests until you have at least 30 intelligence.  I kinda like the design space this opens up for later, with very neat little events you can select as your stats get higher.  I can just picture some very fun ones when your naughtier statistics are up there.

The download is on the same 4shared site I've been using all along.

Offline letmein

« Reply #372 on: March 18, 2010, 10:25:04 PM »
Don't worry about making a thread.  You need to set up shop somewhere, after all, and while this forum is nominally about WM having another programmer around, even one that's working on something else, is never a problem.
Still lurking.

Offline DocClox

• Dev Team
  • Messing Around With Python
« Reply #373 on: March 19, 2010, 04:27:11 AM »
necno's said in the past he has no problem with other games being developed on this board - I was going to do the same with Skin Trade until I found myself working flat out on WM.

Create your own thread. No one is going to object :)

Offline delta224

• Dev Team
« Reply #374 on: March 19, 2010, 09:18:15 AM »
My only issue is that I'd rather have the game uploaded to mediafire