Author Topic: <-- Archived --> == PyTFall Alpha release ==>  (Read 281788 times)

Offline Internecine

Re: == PyTFall Alpha release ==>
« Reply #60 on: April 30, 2014, 06:36:44 AM »
I actually hadn't thought about the modern thing. Suppose I will have to go back and change it at some point. Still, at the moment my greater concern is whether the layout works.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2014, 06:43:05 AM by Internecine »

Offline MonkeyBoo

« Reply #61 on: May 01, 2014, 08:31:43 AM »
Hey! Nice game, pretty addictive mechanics, got a level 57 and going for the mansion on the main road soon.

With the update I did try it only a little, it does break the saves, and the changes seem to be a little useless for me at this point. Maybe the next update I will jump on the boat. I have noticed that before intelligence wasn't displayed for the girls, and now it is, as well as a increase in all the girls starting pro stats. I would like to suggest a how to guide for editing new saves to get in the same or a similar point even if a patch does break save-games, but then again there is some value in starting from the beginning if mechanics are changed. :-[

Now to comments regarding the previous build, just before this patch:

The stats and progression for each is poorly explained, some I don't really know what they do, while others I found out by experimenting, and as for the learning / misc items goes, I can't figure out how to actually use them, even if I equip them and then leave the girl to rest or have her train in school, I can see no valuable increase in anything. What exactly is the effect supposed to be, maybe it is insignificant. Also as far as screen-estate I do not see a reason to have the girls stats split into two clickable rows (make that 3) , even with my 14 inch display on my laptop I still have enough space for all of the to be shown side by side. Maybe it could be a bit redesigned to show information either in the current format, or a re-sizable sort of a box, so we could either have it scroll or shown side by side.

About clicking, it is getting really annoying really fast, but:
I do appreciate learning the game through less information at the beginning so I can understand mechanics and stuff like that, but I feel like once we hit even something like 5 girls even, with 3 AP each, there are two many information screens each day, would like the option to display it in a table, and a line for each girl, then if anyone is interested he/she could read everything at once, because the current way get's old fast, I only check the red numbers before I even hit the 5 girl mark... And having to click 40 times to get to my hero stats is not ideal.

On that note, the design for the girls is a lot more pleasant, but I only have two pages worth, so maybe I'm not at the annoyed part yet, It could be useful to have options for everything like in windows folder option, large pictures, medium, text details only. I can't see myself playing at the brothel at all if I were to populate even the first 4 brothels, late game will be infernal.

I did not get to the point where the brothel action is worth any income anyway, I am currently training all my girls to max, and sustaining 14 of them through arenas, while getting a small increase in gold, they hit like 5-7 k gold per day on my costs... If I would put them to work they would yield maybe 1 k if I was lucky... I haven't upgraded them yet, I could but when I tried I saw little income difference, however the 4th brothel with 25 girls, 5 guards seems like a point where I could skip everything once it is up and running.

I have also used quick-save/load way too much, mostly because some of the results are all over the place, and that has had a mixed impact on my feelings regarding the game. On one side, it's nice to get that cool surprise, on the other, I can try 10 times to get it just to have a perfect score... another reason for which I am not that far along but I have played the game a lot. I would like more linear results for the game, one time I could train a girl and she would get 2-3-1-2 increase in stats, a quick load and she gets 0 the second time around, with absolutely no changes. Maybe something along the lines of, if you chose this low paid training course you get 1, and a small chance of getting 2 at charisma, if you pick the high paid one you surely get 2-1 at charisma and something else, and a medium chance at another +1 and a small chance at a + 2-1.

While on the subject of training, I do not understand the role of teacher / master or anything around there, it is also pretty hard to keep track of which course a girl is following since they are named the same, maybe it could be highlighted when you want to change. AP also does't seem to affect training at all, if a girl has 0 she still get's training, the same as if she would have 3.

Regarding stats, as far as constitution is concerned, it would be nice to have some sort of indication of where the next point of AP is going to come from, I just got to 150 constitution with my hero and got my 5th point, and my 4th point came a loooooong time ago, at around 40-60 I think, making it really annoying, I did quit the game for two weeks because I though that was going to be it, I mean I had 130 constitution and still 4 AP, and with my girls 85 constitution and 3 AP.... that sucks, but not knowing sucks even worse.

As far as the arena is concerned, I tried to kill those slime things in survival mode, last ones, and one of them you have to hit like 20-30 times, that is not enjoyable, anything more than 3 to 10 clicks, and 10 is extreme, for boss fights only, is not going to be an enjoyable experience for anyone. I would also prefer to be able to auto fight or have some kind of presets. Again don't get me wrong the mechanics are lovely, but they get old really fast, that said playing the game 3 hours a week makes it enjoyable, anything more drastically reduces the pleasure.

Also since I've had a hell of a time having to change gear from one day to another because I needed to talk with girls for 2 AP, do Survival for 3 AP and get my constitution up to 150 through equipment, and each day having to re-gear 3 times SUCKS. We ( I ) desperately need a way to change a set of gear with one click. Also a loot chest might be a nice quick fix, since I currently have a shitload of gear on me, besides the useful stuff, that I will need soon, but not right now.

One last note, the Gallery, I've tried it but really is more of a spoiler, everything is unlocked, some nice music is there and I've hear it nowhere else, seems like a waste for me... and the puzzle or slideshow features are useless... but then again maybe someone else likes them?

And I also support Jaeke's

No actual need for the city screen to be like that, it is a useless image, only promoting one more click. The Meet Girls and Look around functions seem to be the only real uses, but even so I would rather have them all on the same screen, with small places with 5+ actions on each, a secondary image would be nice at later stages of exploration, for example once you get enough money you could have a visit in the park and see the now secondary screen, instead of having to go there all the time.

Just my 2 cents, would love to see a way to undo save game loses due to updates, once the difficulty modes kick in maybe a speedster mode for the first 2 days from the update to get you back to where you where faster while not spoiling new game mechanics. I would probably restart it anyways at a point, I did the same with the previous, downloaded the torrent, got to a high level, found the patch, but restarted anyway after a day or so, but this one doesn't seem to fix the same degree of a problem like taxes were, leaving me broke with no girls at a high level, even with the fix, I managed to recuperate income pretty soon.

Also thank you for the free time you've dedicated to making and improving on this awesome game  :o  for free.

PS: I would personally prefer you take a route that would allow some sort of animation, even basic one, actually rather basic than complex, then normal people might be more willing to contribute. I guess it would have to be a good balance between reward and investment for a generic person to come to the game and spend a few hours to learn and make a animation, we would have to have sufficient control to make it interesting but restricted enough to avoid confusion of what does this button do... Then I would try to make a animation and maybe other could too, everybody shares and we got a nice base for a self renewing base.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
  • "It's like hunting cows"
« Reply #62 on: May 01, 2014, 09:29:08 AM »

Thnx for the post!

Misc items apply effects once per day and may self-destruct when exhausted. They also often have a limit to which they are actually useful.

Money thing depends on gameplay style, it's possible to do extremely well with brothel along, in fact, some playstyles were discovered that are almost cheating (as in very easy).

Quick Save/Load thing is another personal preference, I may introduce an option to lock random seed at some point as an option (Civ5 solution) but that's as far as it'll go.

While training:

- Teacher skill = Ability to teach based on percentage from 0 to 100.
- Master skill = Maximum stat value this teacher is capable of raising.

=======
Rest of the issues have been reported or we're just aware of them but not clear on how to fix them right.

It would only be correct to call gallery a spoiler if pictures were obfuscated in the OS. Since that's not the case, it's a moot point :)
Like what we're doing?

Offline MonkeyBoo

« Reply #63 on: May 01, 2014, 10:37:36 AM »
Thanks for the quick reply!

I still don't understand how misc items work exactly, is there a post somewhere on the forum explaining it more extensively. I never seen them apply any effects at any time, or self destruct, even though I've left free weights for example on a girl for +100 days... I'm talking about the self destruction feature here, since I didn't follow her stats for 100 days straight.

And do you mean they apply as in permanently increase stats or just for one action at random?

True about play styles, my point was merely that the incoherence between results feels too high for it to be only casual used, I may be wrong too, I might get bored faster of just next-ing all the time. Also some play-styles take you to failure and other to cheating success, I see it as a balancing issue, it is alpha phase so it's ok for now.

Regarding training, so how does the master skill affect it, if a girl has for example 10/90 charisma and the trainer has 100, how does that differ from a trainer that has 300 at his master skill.... Also same question if the girl had 70/90 charisma and if the girl was level 1 or lets say 12. How do things scale.

Last point about the gallery, allow me to reformulate since I rushed a bit the first time.[size=78%]I don't mean that it is a spoiler, I also mean that it seems to bring nothing to the game, so it's "only" a spoiler.[/size]

Sure you can access the images through windows, but then why implement this feature in the game, since everywhere else we get to see random pictures, how about having the gallery option act as a small game, do a puzzle and unlock a image for example. At the moment the puzzle feature is useless to me since you have no actual rewards, why do it when you already have the picture. You could also unlock pictures as the girl advances, I think it was like that in a similar game, it would bring something to the game instead of just floating there with no actual purpose.

Another issue, what does the max actually do from the items, while for my main character it works up to a point, no idea where that point actually is, and for the girls it does not seem to work at all, level 12 in old version gets nothing, and level 1 in the new version gets nothing again.

Probably we need something like a xxx/yyy/zzz in stats? It seems confusing to me but maybe it's still under development?

As a last question, what are the AP milestones, +1 at 35 const, +2 at 150 const, and... ?

Offline CherryWood

« Reply #64 on: May 01, 2014, 03:28:18 PM »
May not be clear, but one purpose or the gallery is that you are able to easily check picture tags in game, without opening the pics in extensive applications (not even possible with the new tagger, just with the old one) or look through json file.
Probably not that useful for casual players, but for developing/modding the game, this is very helpful sometimes. (to determine is there is something wrong in code, or if just the girl is wrongly tagged)

Misc items:

Free weights = add 1 constitution and 5 fatigue every 2 days [mtemp], until the girl have 30 constitution [cmax], when equipped in misc slot. (Great item for new girls, but quickly useless after that)

Books = equip them in misc slot and after some days (usually about 6 to 12 [mtemp]) a girl gain new stats (to the book [cmax] limit, for example Manual of Sex have stats cap 100) and that book is automatically removed from misc slot [mreusable = False], never able to be used by that girl again, but you can use it on another one [mdestruct = False].

It's all explained on the Item concept thread.

Regarding training, so how does the master skill affect it, if a girl has for example 10/90 charisma and the trainer has 100, how does that differ from a trainer that has 300 at his master skill.... Also same question if the girl had 70/90 charisma and if the girl was level 1 or lets say 12. How do things scale.
No difference between these two teachers, assuming that their other skill, "teacher skill", is the same. You just wasting money there for a teacher with a high skill cap that doesn't matter to your girl in this case, as she's nowhere close to it.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2014, 04:07:13 PM by CherryWood »

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #65 on: May 01, 2014, 04:00:51 PM »
I still don't understand how misc items work exactly, is there a post somewhere on the forum explaining it more extensively. I never seen them apply any effects at any time, or self destruct, even though I've left free weights for example on a girl for +100 days... I'm talking about the self destruction feature here, since I didn't follow her stats for 100 days straight.

And do you mean they apply as in permanently increase stats or just for one action at random?

They are applied daily permanently increasing/decreasing the stats, usually up to a certain value. It's prolly explained somewhere in the game design section but it's pretty disorganized.

Master skill is just the cap so master skill of 300 means that this course cannot increase stats past 300 points. There might be other bonuses but if that's the case, I do not remember them.

Another issue, what does the max actually do from the items, while for my main character it works up to a point, no idea where that point actually is, and for the girls it does not seem to work at all, level 12 in old version gets nothing, and level 1 in the new version gets nothing again.

From elsewhere:

Quote from: Xela
Here's how they should work.

- There is a hard minimum for all stats. There is no changing that for most.

- There are two maximums:
* Level Mamimum
* Normal Maximum

Level maximum can only be raised be leveling up. Normal Maximum can be raised by items and traits as well as leveling up. Lets say a stat starts with a level maximum of 65 and a maximum of 100. Every time your level goes up, apart from restoring your fatigue, health and mp, you will get +2 Maximum and + 5 Level Maximum. As you can imagine, for every stat there is a breaking point where the level maximum is engulfed by normal maximum and all traits and (usually) expensive items that can increase maximums of stats become VERY useful. The idea was to simulate the effect of an inexperienced characters not being able to just use the best items in the game to their full advantage. System is raw but it should work that way...

Probably we need something like a xxx/yyy/zzz in stats? It seems confusing to me but maybe it's still under development?

As a last question, what are the AP milestones, +1 at 35 const, +2 at 150 const, and... ?

Maybe, or maybe ingame explanation to how stats work will be enough.

Read one of the last posts in the section on Error Reports, someone has made a list of milestones there I believe. This is likely yo be changed soon.
Like what we're doing?

Offline MonkeyBoo

« Reply #66 on: May 01, 2014, 04:45:16 PM »
Thanks for both replies, I did check the other sections of the forum, but I only glanced through some quickly, and the one's I got were quite old so I stopped. Will read through them some more before I continue posting questions though.

The forums can get clunky and quickly off-topic, maybe creating a wiki-source type thing would be useful in bringing new people to help out.

Regarding the constitution bug from the error reports, I've had something similar although not exactly. I drank two ultimate potions of health, done a 1v1 ranked fight and then the next day I still had the effects of the potion, all of them not just the constitution, I tried to go on about 10 days then I took a load game and couldn't recreate the bug... I think I might have gained 1 constitution as a result of winning the battle, but I did no training for sure.

Think I might start another clean slate soon.

Offline cowboy728

« Reply #67 on: May 28, 2014, 11:28:36 PM »
First off, Thank you for making this game. After the original sim brothel, wm and slave maker, I became hooked on this type of game. Second, I found a rather annoying bug, it has been happening randomly but very consistently.  When I hit the next day button, the game crashes. I tried saving every 7 days, to repeat it. It crashed on day 6, day 14, day 4 and day 46. saved games come out the same way. I can post the trace back if you would like.

Offline DarkTl

« Reply #68 on: May 29, 2014, 02:07:45 AM »
Trace backs are required anyway. I personally don't have this problem, so it's not very common.

Offline cowboy728

« Reply #69 on: May 29, 2014, 03:36:46 AM »
Not sure if this what your looking for to help identify or possible correct the error.

I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While running game code:
  File "game/library/screens/pyt - screens - nextday.rpy", line 15, in script
  File "game/library/screens/pyt - screens - nextday.rpy", line 119, in python
  File "game/library/classes - support.rpy", line 117, in python
  File "game/library/classes - characters.rpy", line 1403, in python
  File "game/library/classes - characters.rpy", line 799, in python
  File "game/library/classes - characters.rpy", line 585, in python
  File "game/library/classes - characters.rpy", line 212, in python
AttributeError: 'disposition' is neither a gamestat nor an attribute of Player

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
  File "C:\Users\office\Downloads\PyTFall-0.45-Alpha\PyTFall-0.45-Alpha\renpy\execution.py", line 294, in run
    node.execute()
  File "C:\Users\office\Downloads\PyTFall-0.45-Alpha\PyTFall-0.45-Alpha\renpy\ast.py", line 732, in execute
    renpy.python.py_exec_bytecode(self.code.bytecode, self.hide, store=self.store)
  File "C:\Users\office\Downloads\PyTFall-0.45-Alpha\PyTFall-0.45-Alpha\renpy\python.py", line 1358, in py_exec_bytecode
    exec bytecode in globals, locals
  File "game/library/screens/pyt - screens - nextday.rpy", line 119, in <module>
    pytfall.next_day()
  File "game/library/classes - support.rpy", line 117, in next_day
    hero.next_day()
  File "game/library/classes - characters.rpy", line 1403, in next_day
    self.item_counter()
  File "game/library/classes - characters.rpy", line 799, in item_counter
    self.apply_item_effects(items[key])
  File "game/library/classes - characters.rpy", line 585, in apply_item_effects
    if item.cmax and (key not in ['exp', 'gold']) and (getattr(self, h_key) >= item.cmax):
  File "game/library/classes - characters.rpy", line 212, in __getattr__
    raise AttributeError(msg % (key, self.__class__.__name__))

Windows-7-6.1.7600
Ren'Py 6.17.3.327
PyTFall 0.45 Alpha

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #70 on: May 29, 2014, 04:21:32 AM »
Not sure if this what your looking for to help identify or possible correct the error.

I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While running game code:
  File "game/library/screens/pyt - screens - nextday.rpy", line 15, in script
  File "game/library/screens/pyt - screens - nextday.rpy", line 119, in python
  File "game/library/classes - support.rpy", line 117, in python
  File "game/library/classes - characters.rpy", line 1403, in python
  File "game/library/classes - characters.rpy", line 799, in python
  File "game/library/classes - characters.rpy", line 585, in python
  File "game/library/classes - characters.rpy", line 212, in python

Could this be an old save loaded after patching the game?
Like what we're doing?

Offline cowboy728

« Reply #71 on: May 29, 2014, 04:39:49 AM »
Nope, That was a new game. I even  ( about an hour ago ) unzipped my rar copy of the game into a new folder and then patched it. Was playing fine, until a couple of seconds ago and got the same error.

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #72 on: May 29, 2014, 04:45:12 AM »
Nope, That was a new game. I even  ( about an hour ago ) unzipped my rar copy of the game into a new folder and then patched it. Was playing fine, until a couple of seconds ago and got the same error.

Ok, I'll take a look at the exact code and see what's causing it.
Like what we're doing?

Offline Xela

• Global Moderator
« Reply #73 on: May 29, 2014, 06:52:38 AM »

Right, thanks for the report, it is fixed in the dev version and will be fixed with the next release.

The problem was with an item, it tried checking a if Player stat is greater than the maximum that items is capable of increasing before game checked if Player had such a stat to begin with. (Remove (*misc I think) item that you're using on player and the error will go away).
Like what we're doing?

Offline cowboy728

« Reply #74 on: May 30, 2014, 02:04:26 AM »
Removing the misc item seemed to fix the error. Thanks for your fast reply and answer. Keep up the great work, looking forward to the next release.