Author Topic: Interface: grouping  (Read 2848 times)

Offline Vorpal

Interface: grouping
« on: December 27, 2009, 02:09:00 AM »
Hi. I have another suggestion.

Since by late-game, buildings tend to have large numbers of workers, how about an extra property assignable by the player with the ability to filter the list of girls by that property? Basically, it's to separate the girls that are set in their roles that don't require micromanagement from the rest, so they don't clutter up the screen needlessly.

This is probably even more relevant with some of the upcoming jobs, since it looks like some of them you can just set and pretty much forget from there on--e.g., if the player decides that some girls are to have cleaning/community service/teaching positions from now on, it makes sense to allow the player to visually separate them from everyone else and thereby remove some of the clutter.

An uncomplicated way of doing so is to just to have a preset low number of groups with their own buttons, say 0-3, with 0 as a default that also displays everyone and gets reset every time the girl moves across buildings (so it's not a stat). User-defined groups with custom descriptors would even nicer, but are probably too much work.

What do you guys think?

Offline DocClox

• Dev Team
  • Messing Around With Python
Re: Interface: grouping
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2009, 04:15:42 AM »
It's a good idea. There is something like that in the pipeline already, where you can filter by job category. Once that's stable, we might be able to add a few more cross category filters.

Offline dcb42

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2009, 04:01:17 PM »
Also, I know I certainly wouldn't mind the ability to alter the Big Ol' List Of Girls in a building; that is, if Girl A is at the top of the list and Girl B is in the second position and so on and so forth, and I decide I want Girl Q to be at the top of the list as it stands I have to shuffle girls off to another brothel and then move them back and it's just a pain in the ass.

Is it just me?

Offline DocClox

• Dev Team
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2009, 04:06:47 PM »
Nope, but drag and drop re-ordering is a bit beyond where we're at at the moment.

I'm not ruling it out, but it's not easy to do, and will probably happen later rather than sooner.

Some sort of priority sort field might be workable - but not until we get 1.30 tamed.

Offline Vorpal

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2009, 05:19:16 PM »
What about manual 'move up'/'move down' that switches the positions of just two girls that are adjacent in the list? That's a lot simpler than drag and drop, and would avoid the complete reshuffling by transferring to the same building (which is a major pain).

Edit: Actually, that would be even be useful in lieu of grouping. That way girls the player doesn't care to watch for the time being can be moved to near the bottom of the list. (I'd still like grouping, but you guys are probably overworked enough already. ^_^;)
« Last Edit: December 27, 2009, 05:58:40 PM by Vorpal »

Offline DocClox

• Dev Team
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2009, 05:57:42 PM »
That sounds like a good way to do it. I'll add that to the todo list

Offline dcb42

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2009, 11:18:57 AM »
Yeah, I was thinking more of a manual 'move up/down' solution than drag-and-drop, which is clearly a Far In The Future project; sorry, shoulda made that more clear.

Maybe bind it to a key combination - the up/down arrows move the selection cursor in the list, maybe Shift+up/down would move the girl along with the cursor?